Buy SC2 just for Custom Maps?

w00t22

CSS L4D DoD? Steam ID = w00t22
Reaction score
So i was a really huge fan of custom maps and the world editor in wc3 and i never really thought of SC2 new WE until literally tonight. How much better is the new world editor? I know its been a few days and haven't even come close to see the full capabilities of the editor, but in general, Very good, good or moderate upgrade compared to old WE.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
just type in google or youtube Starcraft II cusom maps and be amazed. Things such as third person camera, wasd movment and a 2d engine are all included in the game.

You know what, just click here and you will get a lot of custom maps made with either the beta editor or within these few days that the editor has been out.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Thats pretty much what I bought it for, and so far, it's looking really promising for custom games. They've got a few small side scrollers and such that don't even make it seem like SC2. It's awesome. :thup:

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Thats pretty much what I bought it for, and so far, it's looking really promising for custom games. They've got a few small side scrollers and such that don't even make it seem like SC2. It's awesome. :thup:

I highly recommend, atleast trying the campaing. Play the first 4-5 missions (so that you can see what it is like, the first 2-3 won't do) and then deside :p

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score

If you look at Lost Viking, you'll notice that shooting happens very irregular and that movement is four directional, not eight directional.

Also, if you compare loading speed to the loading speed of other games of the same genre you'll see that this type of game is not what the engine has been created for. The only reason to use this engine is the graphics and the community that come with it.
I'm quite sure that I can get (gameplay-wise) similar effects with less effort if I'm either coding everything from scratch or using one of the countless engines that are out there, especially built for their respective purpose.

If I want to create an RTS, the engine sure is great - but an RTS built with the SC2 engine would always have to compete with SC2. I'm sure it'll loose : )

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I like the editor, although it'll take some getting used to. On the other hand, there's still some other problems with custom maps.

First of all, the map makers are limited to publishing 5 maps / account.

Each map got a file limit of 10mb(if you want in published, only way to play it multiplayer) and you can only publish maps with a total size of 20mb.

Last time I checked, you also couldn't publish if you used the blizzard protect tool on it making the protection tool pretty useless.

If you create a new map, it'll be all the way down in the list(since it only sorts after popularity). For people to find your map, they'll have to scroll down, press "Show more" and repeat a lot of times before they find your map.

Since no one will likely find your map, you wont get any popularity. If they haven't changed this in about a year, a new map will probably have no chance to get played.

When you're hosting, you can't choose a file name. This means you cant tell the people looking for the game what options you're going to use(Think of DotA, -ap -om etc)

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
@Siretu

Yeah, that's actually the most gay stuff about it. :(

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
WASD controls are a joke.

They lag so terribly and so poorly, they might as well have never been implemented at all.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
I got WC3 just for custom maps. I liked SC1's melee gameplay, and disliked WC3's melee gameplay but loved <3 many custom maps.

From what I've seen of the beta, and from discussions online, I wouldn't buy SC2 just for custom maps in its current state. If the situation with the editor and with hosting (as described by others above) is improved via patches or in the upcoming expansions, then sure. And even before that happens (if it ever happens), if a good amount of quality custom maps start showing up that you'd like to play, then also go for it if you judge it to be worth it.

I wouldn't pay full price for only SC2's campaign and melee myself, either, although I do like it. If the custom map situation improves, I'll probably get it at some point once I upgrade my GPU.

mapguy

Reaction score
This game has a lot to be fixed...

THANKS thehelperforum. I love this community, you saved me from giving my money to blizzard.

no custom maps = no fun
I rather play my videogame than SC2 campaing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.