Chat Revamp

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
I think that the chat should get a complete overhaul. Sort of like The Hive's chat; it's custom-coded, it has actual moderators instead of a bot, and it's fun. Of course, we don't have very many people who have the power to change people's names or their colors (which would hopefully be a feature of the "new" chat).
Some suggestions:
  • Icons that show your rank; instead of those boring symbols
  • Not requiring a password, but requiring that you are logged in to access the chat.
  • Removing the reputation requirement.
  • Appointing responsible moderators to monitor the chat.
  • Unban TheHelper from the chat.
  • Adding a role-playing channel to the chat.
  • [More to be added]
I think it would help increase popularity for TheHelper. What do you think?

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
It's not by pimping a dead horse that you'll make it alive. I'm pretty sure it would be considered if a lot of people were using the chat, but given it's mean activity lies below 10 connected users (bots included), these efforts are best put somewhere else (other requested vB "improvements" asked here).

IRC is a text-based chat, not an ANSI-art contest, so it should remain readable and not cluttered by coloring abuse and fancy pictures all over the place. You've got your MSN for that.

As it's been said above, the reputation requirement (as well as the mandatory registration) helps keeping out bad people (in the broadest sense).

Knight7770

Reaction score
It's not by pimping a dead horse that you'll make it alive. I'm pretty sure it would be considered if a lot of people were using the chat, but given it's mean activity lies below 10 connected users (bots included), these efforts are best put somewhere else (other requested vB "improvements" asked here).

IRC is a text-based chat, not an ANSI-art contest, so it should remain readable and not cluttered by coloring abuse and fancy pictures all over the place. You've got your MSN for that.

As it's been said above, the reputation requirement (as well as the mandatory registration) helps keeping out bad people (in the broadest sense).
Well, first of all, I never said anything about color abuse and fancy pictures anywhere. I meant that the more powerful people (moderators, admins, etc.) should get colors so it's easier to distinguish between them and everyone else.

But most people on the forum don't even have 7 rep. Maybe a requirement of 1 would be good, so people can't just make advertising accounts, etc.

Maybe if we did these things to improve the chat, it would get more people to join it.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
The rest of the site isnt like the hive, why should the chat? They are different sites, go to the hive if you the chat to be like that.

However, I agree the chat needs to be improved in some ways.
  • Colored names [I dissagree, un-needed, icons would tell enough.]
  • Icons that show your rank; instead of those boring symbols [Better graphics all around would be nice. They still don't need to be anything special, though.]
  • Features like the ability to announce stuff in yellow text [Dissagree, text show when you join and "Topic" are enough.]
  • Not requiring a password, but requiring that you are logged in to access the chat. [Strongly agree...]
  • Removing the reputation requirement. [Should still be somewhat of a limit, I think. Maybe by posts of rep, for those who can't seem to get enough rep..]
  • Appointing responsible moderators to monitor the chat. [That would be nice, statbot keeps people from spamming atm though.]

I think its allready been suggested before that the chat be improved, though.

Knight7770

Reaction score
The rest of the site isnt like the hive, why should the chat? They are different sites, go to the hive if you the chat to be like that.

However, I agree the chat needs to be improved in some ways.

I think its allready been suggested before that the chat be improved, though.
I never said it would be like the Hive chat; it will never be. Yes, it has been suggested before that the chat be improved, but that didn't work out too well.

Features like the ability to announce stuff in yellow text [Dissagree, text show when you join and "Topic" are enough.]
What about important messages? Only select people would have the ability to announce stuff, so no one would abuse it.
Appointing responsible moderators to monitor the chat. [That would be nice, statbot keeps people from spamming atm though.]
But the StatBot can't detect other forms of chatting which are against the rules (flaming, etc.).

Daskunk

Reaction score
Yes, it has been suggested before that the chat be improved, but that didn't work out too well.
And it will magically work out this time? Last I knew, there was reasons why it wasnt changed before..

What about important messages? Only select people would have the ability to announce stuff, so no one would abuse it.
If its important, wouldn't they type it out or post it in the forums? If it wasn't any bother to add, I wouldn't care, but I don't think it would add much or be needed.
But the StatBot can't detect other forms of chatting which are against the rules (flaming, etc.).
Indeed, like I said, having mods for the chat would be nice, but I would preferr moderator to focus on the forums..

Knight7770

Reaction score
And it will magically work out this time? Last I knew, there was reasons why it wasnt changed before..
I never said anything about magic. It will work, as long as I'm not alone in thinking so.
If its important, wouldn't they type it out or post it in the forums? If it wasn't any bother to add, I wouldn't care, but I don't think it would add much or be needed.
Alright, the announce ability is pretty useless.
Indeed, like I said, having mods for the chat would be nice, but I would preferr moderator to focus on the forums..
Hopefully, we would appoint new moderators to the chat, instead of pulling the ones from the forums.

Daskunk

Reaction score
I never said anything about magic. It will work, as long as I'm not alone in thinking so.
I though it wasn’t changed like that because people didn't have the Skills\time\ect to do it, not just that it wasn’t wanted, if I was remembering right then it wouldn't work out any better this time.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
*waits for Ace's 'official' answer* :D

You mean:
AceHart said:
Not at this time, thank you for your suggestion. It is currently being considered.
?

The chat could get another chance with games like Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Given the newly created subforums on role playing, why not add a channel #roleplay ? One more dead channel shouldn't be that hard for the IRCd to handle :p

EDIT: or a #myminicty channel ... for all these spam-folks to gather and ... uuuhhh ... "talk" about their cities?

Knight7770

Reaction score
The chat could get another chance with games like Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3. Given the newly created subforums on role playing, why not add a channel #roleplay ? One more dead channel shouldn't be that hard for the IRCd to handle :p

EDIT: or a #myminicty channel ... for all these spam-folks to gather and ... uuuhhh ... "talk" about their cities?
The chat very well could get more active with new games like SC2 and Diablo 3 in the making.
A roleplaying channel could do well for some quick roleplaying, or presenting a draft of a story to people to see if they like it. Good idea :thup:

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Sorry but the rep-requirment doesn't invite people to join either.

There are plenty of people who have over 75 or 100 rep and still don't visit the chat.

Hey, take a look at me. :) I'm never in the chat.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> Icons that show your rank; instead of those boring symbols
I always hated hive's pictures. Peons and wolf raiders...WTH?
FWIW Not everybody here plays WC3. On the other hand, symbols like "@", "%" and "+" are pretty much a standard for IRC so there actually is a change people know what they mean.

> Not requiring a password, but requiring that you are logged in to access the chat.
That's a bit of a problem - hive's chat is fully web-based while ours is IRC and because of that it might not be that simple to do (not sure on this one though).

> Appointing responsible moderators to monitor the chat.
> Adding a role-playing channel to the chat.
> would appoint new moderators to the chat
Because of the tremendous activity? :rolleyes:

> should get colors so it's easier to distinguish between them and everyone else
Hm...yes, well, is it really that important to know who's who? Not to mention colors aren't necessarily easy to understand ("ohhh, that guy is purple...I wonder what that means?")

> ability to announce stuff in yellow text
If you use an actual IRC client, you can write in any color you wish, even make your text bold or underline (not sure if the crapplet can do that too).

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
I like the Roleplay channel. Sounds useful, but The Warehouse was also made for this purpose. But true for faster answers a Channel would be nicer

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
I like the Roleplay channel. Sounds useful, but The Warehouse was also made for this purpose. But true for faster answers a Channel would be nicer

Different is, if you are all on at the same time, and your posting almost simultaniously. It helps to quick talk and say "I am posting a response now" else you get ninja'd.

With the ware hourse, you post the OOC stuff for the people who are not online at the moment.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Different is, if you are all on at the same time, and your posting almost simultaniously. It helps to quick talk and say "I am posting a response now" else you get ninja'd.

With the ware hourse, you post the OOC stuff for the people who are not online at the moment.

Exactly which is why I think the RP chat would be useful... :thup:

Knight7770

Reaction score
FWIW Not everybody here plays WC3. On the other hand, symbols like "@", "%" and "+" are pretty much a standard for IRC so there actually is a change people know what they mean.
You could still have icons; I never said anything about WC3.
That's a bit of a problem - hive's chat is fully web-based while ours is IRC and because of that it might not be that simple to do (not sure on this one though).
Good luck :thup:
Because of the tremendous activity?
Yeah. :thup:
Hm...yes, well, is it really that important to know who's who? Not to mention colors aren't necessarily easy to understand ("ohhh, that guy is purple...I wonder what that means?")
They would be uniform: moderators have color X, admins have color Y, etc.
If you use an actual IRC client, you can write in any color you wish, even make your text bold or underline (not sure if the crapplet can do that too).
Not everyone uses an IRC client.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.