WIP First Person Shooter Project

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
To me counter-strike looks a lot better :p

Yeah, COD4 looks WAY better. What the hell man? Let's step it up from '94!:mad:

I have an old map that I was making an FPS of, but I was using models instead of the fade filters, which made the camera a little more tricky. I'm picking it up again, but it's kind of a mess....

Any idea with a release date?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It should be because it is for multiple players to play.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not if they have made the system with no laggs and without constant actions firing, like every 0.01 seconds or something. If you look at the video on post one, it doesn't lag at all on that.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can get the latest information about WarSoc here: LINK

Ozzdog

Hopeless Toby Driver fan boy
Reaction score
Will this map be RoC playable? If it was, it would most likely be up there with DotA for how much it gets played.

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
Will this map be RoC playable? If it was, it would most likely be up there with DotA for how much it gets played.

sincerely doubt it

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Hey guys, nice to see this thread still gets occasional attention... i will put quotes around each paragraph for easier reading.

A playable beta was intended about a month ago but things never happen like we hope to and the map was postponed for quite some time again, just wasn't up for working on it for a long while. Ive added a couple things such as trees and barrels that fall/explode when shot and a temporary grenade throw. I entend to get out a beta or test version as soon as I can and see if its worth working on further but a few things were holding that back. The interior buildings are holding it back the most, i promised buildings you could atleast enter be that big or small, but due to a modeling shortage i cant really determine if or how long it will take to make that happen.

However, what I do need from you guys is opinions, I have a few questions of what you guys would like to expect or want in the map so that I may get a better idea of what people may find fun. The fun factor is definately missing right now and you guys are needed to fix that.

-A few things to know first are, due to the not so friendly cameras in warcraft, it is currently a slower paced shooter, its no fast paced shooter where you are constantly running around spraying, because i am currently not at the skill level to even consider a mouse feature... so arrow keys are the way of movement as well as aiming. You may run while shooting ofcourse, however to aim up and down you must stop and then aim. It may be difficult at first, but it becomes easier with time.

So when presenting an idea please keep in mind this will be a slower paced shooter.

-Now to the point, aside from any suggestion or opinions you may also have, I am wanting to know from you guys what kind of enviroment you would prefer. I have experimented with a variety of areas such as mountain range maps with lots of trees and snow falling as well as some small villages or areas where there will be interior buildings in the future, or another scenario may be a larger city, but it would be a smaller map but more buildings (not as ideal for sniping), then there are ideas of vietnam or forest type maps with rolling hills and trees with lots of cover from grass and bushes as well, with ofcourse buildings here and there or possible small towns. There are many ways of doing this, but I want to know what you guys want. What kind of map would you want to play in.

The other topic of question is game modes, without game modes it is just a map with shooting but no true objectives or point. What kind of modes would you like. Would just a deathmatch and team deathmatch suffice? Or would you like some extras with that like objectives and things you would need to do so you woudl feel as if there is a point as to why you are there fighting others. And ofcourse, any other realistic suggestions comments or things you would think would make a map like this fun, then please post.

As for user-friendliness and playability, it can be improved the more it is optimized and looked over to accomodate more efficient ways of doing things. So if at first, it may be too laggy with so many people, then rest assured that is the intention of the first release when it is ready. We want to find out what the map can handle.

........ Any other comments that have been posted recently I will reply to soon, as right now I am a bit tired so i will definately get back to u.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The other topic of question is game modes, without game modes it is just a map with shooting but no true objectives or point. What kind of modes would you like. Would just a deathmatch and team deathmatch suffice? Or would you like some extras with that like objectives and things you would need to do so you woudl feel as if there is a point as to why you are there fighting others. And ofcourse, any other realistic suggestions comments or things you would think would make a map like this fun, then please post.

I think a basic deathmatch would be fun, aswell as maybe a team deathmatch so you can try working as a team aswell. I would personally prefer a team deathmatch, because if you are playing for the first time, you may still have players on your team who are really good at it, which makes it more fair.

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
A simple choice by player 1 or host like mabye -dm for deathmatch where the player with most kills wins or a team deathmatch -tdm were it takes all players and evens it up as much as it can and if a player leaves it add an AI (this is all for later versions IF you can) and maybye capture te flag -ctf.

Also maybye you could have it so there mybye can be vehicles like helicopter and tank? =P

Its your choice this is just my opinion. Good luck this game is kickass!

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
alright guys, just thought id update you on the progress...

there are a few good things and a few bad things I must say,

ill go ahead and start out with the bad:

1. I have removed the assault rifle from the project, it may be added later on again but for right now it didnt feel as if it fit in the map correctly and also to decrease pc lag for specific trigger reasoning.

2. I have become aware that there is going to be no way around online lag, even through the use of a 3rd party program or lan execute that enables you to host online through the lan feature in game. It is, however, playable if played through lan online using a listed program that requires no more than a download and double click to type in a hosts ip. The delay is more than playable with a few players, it will mostly depend on the connections of everyone in the game to keep a stable flow. Later versions may shorten the delay through converting some more stuff into jass. Blizzards stupid ping limiter is like a brick wall and hard to get around. :banghead:

3. Alot had to be toned down and removed in the map lately, the cause for this is there was far too much coding going on and multiple computers most likely would not be able to process it while sustaining a playable frame rate therefore things were removed and toned down but not to the extent anything will be missed or limited. I just envisioned much more than I was able to accomplish but its still pretty cool.

------------------------------------

Ok, now if I have not scared all of you off already with the bad news time for the good:

1. There are destructible buildings, I have spent a day or two creating ways to create destructible buildings that would be first person friendly and easy enough to walk through. Because I am no model pro, they are not exquisite models nor do they look great but they are completely destructible. You throw a grenade at the side of the building parts of it will fall and you can simply walk through it. Building models will most likely improve later on, but for right now what I have created now will suffice.

2. There are also little compost towers you may go up, they are very similar to the buildings and use the same wall structure but I was able to get creative enough to make wooden towers without making any extra models. They are a decent height above the ground and work great as sniper areas.

3. As mentioned above, quite a few things were removed temporarily from the project for frame rate and online lag, so as an upside, it is a lot less demanding when there are additional players, however I still cannot recommend more than 5 or 6 players at the moment until I have come up with better ways of handling the lag. I will also add tweaking for the arrow keys as well most likely before the beta testing is ready, hopefully it will allow for certain players to adjust accordingly to the delay in the map and arrow key rotation.

4. Alright, so basically after all the mumbo jumbo, I am near ready for the beta to come out. Most that is left is just the game modes, and I will probably have team deathmatch as a default for this so expect a beta release very soon as in before next weekend... 7 days or less, unless something very big comes up there should not be any more delays or month long halts.

Ok, so I am a very modest person, sometimes to the point I unintentionally bash my own map, but it is indeed quite an interesting map. It may not have a huge fun factor until the "fun" things are implemented later on to make them fun (which is where you guys come in with your suggestions), but it is actually pretty neat to play considering it is wc3. Who would of thought playing a FPS in an RTS such as wc3. I am aware it wont even come close to comparing to any FPS game because lets be realistic, this is wc3 I wasnt expecting it to be. If you are able to get over the fact you must use arrow keys instead of a mouse, it can be fun. Alright, so a beta will be coming soon, it will not be a complete map, thus the word beta comes in, so things will not be final and always due to change or improve. The upcoming beta will be mainly to show what I have done thus far and get feedback from anyone who may try it as well as the playability, if its not playable with more than 4 or 5 people then either I may cancel the project or look for ways to improve to make it playable or implement it into a new project such as a TD where there may be half the players sniping or such while the others are running or something to that extent. Basically, the beta will be intended as an actual beta, for testing... and I will expect alot of suggestions, comments, and much much criticism. A separate topic for the beta will most likely be posted by me.

Well thats about it, I basically wrote like three pages and bashed my own project but hey, well see next weekend if anyone likes it...

L8R

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Thought I might do a separate post, else it would be too long...

Here are a few pictures of the buildings I have created, while they are nothing special to look at, they are destructive and get the job done for now, the compost is not too bad however. Tower is not destructive yet though... yet.

Looking at the tower:

Up in the tower:

In the tower, looking at another tower:

Looking at a building:

Inside of building (ya its pretty boring):

Explosion from a thrown grenade:

Wall breached and you can now walk through it:

Building got banged up bad (may edit model so the wood stays piled on ground later):

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amazing... I can't wait for the BETA to come out.

Those models look really high quality :)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Hmm, with a lot of the attempted-FPS's of WC, one thing is that it's too open and big-spaced. When you play like console FPS's, you see that open-spaces are usually purposely done, and there are only a few places like that except for those large tournament maps.

You should put areas where it's really crowded. Like with your videos and stuff, I notice that every place is HUGO! and it's so large, there's nowhere to hide. Even the streets are so big, that you can see everyone there.

EDIT: Of course, that doesn't mean ALL places. Just some select places should be more crowded and have locations to hide and camoflauge yourself or something naturally.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
i understand exactly what you are saying, the current map is too big, actually i have sized it down 10 fold since the last video of the city map. I may or may not redo the enviromental map before the beta. It is a bit too big still right now but for testing purposes I left it as a mountainous map enviroment with no cities, I will however have cover as in a few buildings you can hide in, outposts to go up, and the occasional bushes or tall grass you can successfully hide in. The problem with a plush enviroment full of cover and buildings is not everyone can handle it. Wc3 is very very demanding when it comes to cameras in first person view, to the point its a joke so I have to also keep in mind not everyone can process it. So until i come up with better ways to deal with frame rate, there will be plenty of cover but it wont be as crowded as you say until I can manipulate ways to have it more crowded without loss of framerate. Basically the more players you have in game the lower your framerate will drop so I had to keep that in mind.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.