Halloween Contest #2 (Results Posted)

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
20lduv.png
Introduction
It's that time of year again! The year that the weirdoes like me get out our specialty pumpkin carving kits, cool people stock up on shaving cream, and we here at the World Editor Help Zone get out our World Editors to do work. That's right, it is here again. The second annual Halloween Minigame Contest.

Rules
I'm not wasting any time here, I'm going to get straight to the rules. If you don't follow these, it's the same as if you never entered.
  • Your game must be made for this contest. Neither prior made maps nor ones you started but never finished are to be entered.
  • We're bumping the Map File size limit to 3 mb. Less than 3 mb or it never happened.
  • All systems, snippets, and resources relating to coding in your map are permitted unless otherwise noted.
  • Users may use JASSHelper to modify their map. (Hint: That means vJASS and ZINC.)
  • If the map in unopenable by my JNGP, which has been updated to work with JASSHelper 0.A.2.B, it is disqualified.
  • The file name of the map must contain the username of the submitter.
  • Open Source, friends. The use of Widgetizer, WC3 map optimizer, or other tools that obfuscates code or editor data (such as how Vex's Optimizer can make JASS unreadable or Widgetizer removes Object Editor data from plain view) are not allowed.
  • One map per submission, one submission per person. Due to the fact that this is a minigame contest, it wouldn't be fair to allow teamwork like that.
  • It needs to be a minigame.

Grading
Hey, guess what, it's just your average out of 100 grading system. You know, the same system they use in math class.
  • Aesthetics (40%)
    • Does the map look good?
    • Does it give a creepy feeling?
    • Does the map fit in with the Halloween theme?
    • How well does it take advantage of WC3 models, textures, and resources?
  • Efficiency (20%)
    • Does the map function correctly on all Operating Systems supported by Blizzard?
    • Does the map lag or leak enough to cause sufficient performance reduction?
  • Fun (20%)
    • Is the map just generally enjoyable?
    • Is it challenging?
  • Originality (10%)
    • Is it an original game?
  • Minigame (10%)
    • Simple, is the game a minigame?

• Rewards

• First Place — +25 Reputation
    • Second Place — +20 Reputation
    • Third Place — +15 Reputation

Submission

Submissions should be posted in the Submission Thread. This contest tentatively is ending November First.

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
If I can't open it in my standard JASS NewGen Editor, it's disqualified. If I need to download anything to open it other than my JNGP, it's disqualified.
so we have to work with an older jass helper version?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
so we have to work with an older jass helper version?

No, my JNGP is updated. By writing 'standard' I was implying the JNGP unmodified for other tools.

Edit: There, edited the first post :)

EditEdit: upon further reflection, that makes absolutely no sense.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i was disqualified in the last game because my submission wasnt considered a "minigame". is it possible to give objective criterias which need to be fulfilled in order to have a "minigame"?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i was disqualified in the last game because my submission wasnt considered a "minigame". is it possible to give objective criterias which need to be fulfilled in order to have a "minigame"?

I would say a game that lasts on average under 5 minutes, no more then 10 under any circumstance, and isn't using a huge map, but im not a judge so maybe tooltiperror can be more specific

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just use common sense. If it is overly complicated, it's probably not considered a minigame.

Think of it similar to an arcade game.

Chilling

Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with NewGen...can it open maps from the original editor? In other words, can I enter using the original editor.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with NewGen...can it open maps from the original editor? In other words, can I enter using the original editor.

yes of course you can. jngp just gives some extra possibilities and removes some of the editors fixed limits.

@tooltiperror:
whatever. i will see.
maybe we can upload wips? or just a test version directly to you so you can confirm its within the rules of the contest?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can upload WIP to this thread, and discuss work.

Perhaps it would help to tell me the premise of your map.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
I was hoping this contest was gonna take place again :) I was too distracted last year, but now it's time to steal the show :thup:

Chilling

Reaction score
If I post my submission in the submission thread, will you look at it and tell me if it is disqualified and why, and can I edit it if there's something simple that I could fix that may 'undisqualify' it?

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
If only I had minigame idea's. I saw this topic and was like "OMG YES", then I saw it had to be a minigame and I was like "NOOOO!!!!". Well best of luck to those who enter. Also tooltip, if you want/need any help I would be happy to do so.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I post my submission in the submission thread, will you look at it and tell me if it is disqualified and why, and can I edit it if there's something simple that I could fix that may 'undisqualify' it?
I mean, if a map is disqualified, it's like that. If you post the WIP in this thread we can tell you if something is off.

If only I had minigame idea's. I saw this topic and was like "OMG YES", then I saw it had to be a minigame and I was like "NOOOO!!!!". Well best of luck to those who enter. Also tooltip, if you want/need any help I would be happy to do so.
Thanks, I'll holler if I need something.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the WIP?

Work In Progress - something that you want feedback on so that you know your on the right track, post it here, otherwise post it in the submission thread when its done

Chilling

Reaction score
Work In Progress - something that you want feedback on so that you know your on the right track, post it here, otherwise post it in the submission thread when its done

Oh, I thought it was some special file type, or something. Thanks.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
I'm gonna join the contest!

-If the map in unopenable by my JNGP, which has been updated to work with JASSHelper 0.A.2.B, it is disqualified.

I don't get this, can someone please explain this to me

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.