Hi! What timer to use?

Mabaet.Baet

Reaction score
Hi, what timer is best to use on spells? What would you like to suggest? What is the most used timer?

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
Depends on what type of timer you need. For high frequency timers, I suggest Timer32. For low frequency, perhaps TimerUtils or something.

Mabaet.Baet

Reaction score
Depends on what type of timer you need. For high frequency timers, I suggest Timer32. For low frequency, perhaps TimerUtils or something.

Hi Ayanami, what do you mean by high/low frequency?

I should use T32 for fast repeating stuff trigger?

And I should use TimerUtils for something like timer that repeats every 1 sec or something?

Edit: Hey, where can I introduce myself?

Dirac

Reaction score
Yes thats right, you should also remember that those systems are meant to be work using structs.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Actually, for 1 second repeating timers, you should use Timer Tools in Systems and Triggers on thehelper.

Constant Timer Loop 32 is a bit of an upgrade over T32 as well.

Just read Timer Tools thread and it'll tell you what situations you should use its 3 timers for ; ).

Vex's Timer Utils should be used for totally random infrequent non repeating stuff = ).

edit
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/166568-Timer-Utils

mod hasn't changed name of thread yet ;p

Mabaet.Baet

Reaction score
Actually, for 1 second repeating timers, you should use Timer Tools in Systems and Triggers on thehelper.

Constant Timer Loop 32 is a bit of an upgrade over T32 as well.

Just read Timer Tools thread and it'll tell you what situations you should use its 3 timers for ; ).

Vex's Timer Utils should be used for totally random infrequent non repeating stuff = ).

edit
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/166568-Timer-Utils

mod hasn't changed name of thread yet ;p
I use T32 and KT2 for fast thing and TimerUtils for low freq.

And now.... omg I don't even und.... urrggg! Ok that's kinda too complex for me... can you help me? :DD

I'll try to learn it tomorrow... I don't know this module implement thing stuff right here :p I stopped using WE for one and a half year hell yeah!

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
You should never ever ever ever ever use KT2. It's garbage. It was proven in a thread started in JASS Help section.

The Timer Tools dynamic times will beat it every time. Hell, Timer Utils by Vex will beat it almost every time too, lol.

Here's a lib that's a bit better than T32 ; )
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/166641-Constant-Timer-Loop-32

I know, now you have 6 different types of timers to work with. 3 from Timer Tools, 2 from Constant Timer Loop 32, and then TimerUtils, lol.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Unless you're going for optimal efficiency, which is what Nes is good at :)P), I suggest just using one system for high-frequency, and another for low-frequency. Uncomplicated is usually better.

Dirac

Reaction score
TimerUtils is useful, but TimerUtils is for speed freaks
T32 is for speed freaks freaks and TimerLoop32 is for speed freaks freaks freaks

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use T32 and TimerUtils for optimum performance and ease of use. Avoid ConstantTimerLoop32 or w/e it's called at all costs.

Have you learned vJass? It may be worth taking a look at the sticky at the top of this forum about what to do/use/read to make coding as easy and efficient as possible. If you're already proficient with JASS, simply use the JassHelper manual to browse through what's available in vJass.

Mabaet.Baet

Reaction score
Use T32 and TimerUtils for optimum performance and ease of use. Avoid ConstantTimerLoop32 or w/e it's called at all costs.

Have you learned vJass? It may be worth taking a look at the sticky at the top of this forum about what to do/use/read to make coding as easy and efficient as possible. If you're already proficient with JASS, simply use the JassHelper manual to browse through what's available in vJass.

Yes... I know how to vJASS. I use T32 and TU because they are easy to use and is awesome.

I find CTL32 kinda complicated, but giving it a try may help me find it more better or not.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Eh, CTL32 and Timer Tools are more complex because they remove the overhead of the method call and have more types of timers =). If you want a combination of optimum performance and ease of use, T32 and TimerUtils are a good way to go. If you are going for pure optimal performance, then you want Timer Tools, CTL32, and TimerUtils =).

CTL32 does a constant merge like T32 with some extra things for pausing the timer when there are no instances and removing triggerconditions when there are no instances on a struct. The CT32 option on it allows you to pass in your own instances (useful for units with unit indexing). You have to loop through your own thing and CT32 never pauses.

Timer Tools has a variety of tools. The main tool is for dynamic times. Each timeout represents a timer queue. Timeouts are modified slightly so that they share the same timer queues and first tick is modified slightly so that it merges with timers on a given queue (each node on the timer queue represents a cluster of timers). Yea, it's a whole bunch of craziness, but it makes it so that there are less timers in the map expiring at once, meaning increased map performance.

Timer Tools also has a tool that is just a timer queue (1 timer queue for the whole struct), meaning that you don't need the hashtable lookup to find which timer queue expired.

The final tool specializes in 1 shot timer. It is a timer queue with 0 merges (there is a bit of overhead for merging). So if you don't expect timers to ever merge, then the last one is pretty good.

If none of the 5 tools above suit your needs, then you move to TimerUtils by vex =).

Some people think that there is no way in hell Timer Tools could ever match natives with hashtable lookups, but it's performance was proven on a thread in the JASS Help section while I was developing it : P.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.