I swear, I HATE people who think high pings are laggers.

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
I so totally agree. 200 ping and above is NOT sarcasm.

They need to be kicked if they are at battlenet or garena. I personally rarely see that high ping and when I do and give chances, they lag like shit.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Kicking high ping makes sense. When you are playing a game like Dota and there alot of people who will join your game, you will kick people that are more probable to lag. If you see some one with 100 ping, then kick them. Why? Because, specifically for Dota, it is very easy to find some one with a ping of 50 or below within five seconds. So why take even a small chance with higher potential lagger, than to simply kick and have some one else come within five seconds? Yes, It does suck for people who have high pings but that's how it is.

Well, because considering the obscenely low correlation to reasonable chatroom pings values and in-game conditions, it's probably more worth your time in that instance to not waste your 5 seconds and just go. 100 ping is almost nothing anyway.

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well, because considering the obscenely low correlation to reasonable chatroom pings values and in-game conditions, it's probably more worth your time in that instance to not waste your 5 seconds and just go. 100 ping is almost nothing anyway.

Most cases that is true. However, every now and then 100 pingers rise and start delaying. Some of these quit and say its because of lag. This tends to happen more with the higher pingers. So to avoid having 30 min game being ruin due to laggers, spend the 5 seconds to find a faster ping.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

They need to be kicked if they are at battlenet or garena. I personally rarely see that high ping and when I do and give chances, they lag like shit.

No they don't

Well, no I don't.

I get 300 ms but I don't lag or get significant delays at all.

If every host had the same ideology as yours, he'd quit warcraft in less than 5 minutes.

Selfish hosts are dicks.

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
That is your problem, it's better safer not to waste my time playing when there is a higher percent chance of my game getting ruined.

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
That is your problem, it's better safer not to waste my time playing when there is a higher percent chance of my game getting ruined.

Same case as having a poor man starve to death because the rich fat man didn't want to give food cause he knows

1. He thinks someone else will help him anyway
2. He wants every bite of that food

Anyway, I'm not saying you're a terrible guy, especially if all you host is DotA.

But it's a piss off if its something other than DotA (Which is heavily abundant. You can simply "try again" if you get kicked)

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
1: It is just a game and food == survival and game != survival.

Ever heard of something called safety measurements?

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
1: It is just a game and food == survival and game != survival.

Ever heard of something called safety measurements?

Fine, yeah, but most of us would agree that it's not a good thing to kick someone just because of ping.

Anyway, the reason why battle.net doesn't have a ping feature might be because they don't like that kind of practice.

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
Not really because there is stuff that blizzard approves of like warcraft 3 banlist which can check ping.

Anyway, if the ping is too high the host is probably too far away from u.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
Ok people, have you ever lagged in a game before?

Before I tell you that you all are idiots, let's go over a few facts.

100ms is equal to 1/10 of a second.
250ms is equal to 1/4 of a second.
Fuck, ONE THOUSAND milliseconds is equal to ONE SECOND.

When people lag in my games, they QQ about "OMG 2 second delay" or even "omg 5 second delay," and although this probably isn't true, I've even seen "OMG 10 SECOND LAG."

Now, let's convert those into milliseconds.

2 seconds = 2000ms
5 seconds = 5000ms
10 seconds = OVER NINE THOUSAND ms

Tell me, does everyone who experiences this lag have 2000+ pings? No.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
Oh QQ, I need to wait for someone to finish lagging, it's ten seconds of my life wasted! Oh no, must ban!

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score

Well, hello Mr Moron.

Sometimes my internet connection isn't as good as it normally is and I end up with 300+ ping. This 'sometimes' is very rare, as in once a fortnight, if that. Now do I really deserve to be kicked and banned if my ping is above 200? I've seen people with >200 ping get away fine without lagging, however in some of my cases I have not been so lucky. According to your logic, I deserve to be kicked and banned for wasting your precious 2 seconds.

WilliamPa

Reaction score
I think it only wastes your own time and not other people's, or rather you don't find out about things so fast, which may cause bugs that make you rather angry.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
This thread ... is a joke right? Clearly high pings doesn't necessarily mean the person is a lagger, and you can't say that because there are many factors that can make your ping higher, such as: bandwidth, location, internet connection speed. But, "latency" is the amount of time it takes to receive and send data between the server and the person.

The higher the ping, the longer the response time. Though, 300ms might not seem like a lot, it all depends on every other player. If your internet speed cannot keep up with everybody else, then, obviously, you're going to lag out, just because simply your internet cannot keep up.

To keep things simple though, stick with games in your region. That way there are no complications.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
This thread is just another one proving that you kids of today are to impatient:thdown:

If you ever played age of empires1 online with a 56K modem(yes, the ones with the annoying dial-up tone), then you will know what I am talking about.

When I lan with my comp I mostly play games that my comp can barely handle, and in RTS games there is nothing wrong with having a 1 second delay, it is a bit annoying, but a good player never gives up.

I can agree that on an fps it matters a lot with times, I think that if the ping is under 250 in an FPS it should not matter that much, since the human mind can't notice the difference between any numbers lower than that anyway;)

One last thing about Vicboys first post. That is why I hate playing online, beacuse there are so many stupid kids that really is in the need of a good beating out there:mad: If I played on lan and someone called me retarded and meant it, then I would have beaten the crap out of him:banghead:

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
ive seen people with high pings take FOREVER to load a game, that is why i like the classic loading screen where people that finished are in green, so we know.

And if im not the host i dont get to kick them and when everyone is saying

GET OUT LAGGER!

the lagger is just saying

buahahaha screw you

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
90% of the people here have no idea what they're talking about.

A Ping is how long it takes for the client, your computer in this case, to talk to the server, the host in this case.

If you have High Ping you indeed will lag. Lets say all players but 1 player have 100ms ping and that one player has 400ms ping. The game will update the data every x ms with the data it currently has from the clients, and then suddenly BAM, it gets a packet saying your unit isn't were it thought it was because you were lagging behind. The unit jumps, aka "lag". If all players aren't sync'ed it will cause "lag" problems, and users pings do indeed cause lag if they're higher.

Generally, from my outlook on this topic, people around 200ms don't lag enough to matter too much, but they still do a bit. The normal ms for people with enough bandwidth to have to not worry if they do or not generally have about 50ms - 110ms.

Also, pings have NOTHING to do with the time it takes to load a map. That just means on top of bad bandwidth, they also own a crappy computer.

Also I hate it when people think slow DL decides lag, which clearly doesn't

Clearly it sorta does. Download speeds are cap'ed as far as I know, but if you download really slow on a map everyone else is clearly downloading much faster means that the bandwidth on that computer is either being used up by other things or just simply the user doesn't have good bandwidth. Slow downloading can be caused by two things:
1. The user downloading has other things wasting bandwidth or doesn't have good bandwidth
2. The host has a really poor upload rate for their bandwidth, as I'm pretty sure that wc3 doesn't get files from users besides the host.

/thread
Resource: I do a lot of network programming work, so I know about pings and such. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.