World Massive Mag 8.9 Quake hits Japan, Hundreds killed in Tsunami

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I've spent half an hour reading comments on YouTube
they are mostly saying shit like "this is the beginning of the end" and "doomsday is in 2012"

nothing abnormal is happening, really
Most of the world's earthquakes (90%, and 81% of the largest) take place in the 40,000-km-long, horseshoe-shaped zone called the circum-Pacific seismic belt, known as the Pacific Ring of Fire, which for the most part bounds the Pacific Plate.
if ppl were afraid of global warming as much as of earthquakes, we would live in a perfect world

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Well, whenever I talk about the 2012 thing, I don't really think much about it. That's because in the 21st century, prophecies no longer exist (Which sucks)... If only we're at the age of the so called fantasy or fiction in books, oh how I would have thanked God...

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
fallout.jpg

"50 rad to the thyroid gland can result in benign (non cancerous) tumors.
125 to 200 rad to the ovaries can result in prolonged or permanent suppression of menstruation in about fifty percent (50%) of women, loss of hair and typical radiation symptoms.
200 to 300 rad to the skin can result in the reddening of the skin (erythema), similar to a mild sunburn and may result in hair loss due to damage to hair follicles, and a slow death.
600 rad to the ovaries or testicles can result in permanent sterilization And certain death within a very short amount of time, Hours or days."

http://coupmedia.org/terror-threats/japan-nuclear-plant-explosion-happening-now-1203

-------

revenge for hiroshima? CONSPIRACY!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Holy crap
Well, It makes us realise how powerless we are to control the forces of
nature's wrath!

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
The whirl looks like they finally pulled the plug :p

On a more serious note, the economic consequences of the nuclear plant exploding will possibly be devastating. The long term implication is very hard for me to predict.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this encourages governments to focus on alternative energy already... Why weren't their cooling systems working anyway? Isn't that kind of essential in an earthquake prone place?

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Why weren't their cooling systems working anyway? Isn't that kind of essential in an earthquake prone place?
From what I have read, they were working properly. The safety protocols in place for earthquakes mean they automatically shut down the reactors, and most of them were successfully shut down in affected areas. There were a couple that failed to shut down properly and/or their cooling system failed. That is what I understand from what I have read.

In a place like Japan, where there is a huge demand for energy, alternative energy sources like the sun and wind aren't exactly viable. Nuclear power in such a country is the best compromise. While it would be nice if governments worked to develop a truly clean and efficient energy source, it doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Japanese fear radiation leaks as officials struggle to cool quake-damaged reactor

More explosions and a fire in reactor 4

------

SOMA, Japan - Dangerous levels of radiation leaking from a crippled nuclear plant forced Japan to order 140,000 people to seal themselves indoors Tuesday after an explosion and a fire dramatically escalated the crisis spawned by a deadly tsunami.
In a nationally televised statement, Prime Minister Naoto Kan said radiation has spread from the four stricken reactors of the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant along Japan's northeastern coast. The region was shattered by Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the ensuing tsunami that is believed to have killed more than 10,000 people, plunged millions into misery and pummeled the world's third-largest economy.
Japanese officials told the International Atomic Energy Agency that the reactor fire was in a storage pond and that "radioactivity is being released directly into the atmosphere." Long after the fire was extinguished, a Japanese official said the pool, where used nuclear fuel is kept cool, might be boiling.
"We cannot deny the possibility of water boiling" in the pool, said Hidehiko Nishiyama, an official with the economy ministry, which oversees nuclear safety.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/residents-...iation-leak-japanese-20110315-021553-554.html

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that God just really hates Japan right now. They must have fucked something up. That is the simplest explanation I can come to.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Wouldn't be great if Godzilla or something appeared?

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
"N-reactor catches fire again, 70 pct of fuel roads damaged as Japan races to contain radiation"

if that map i posted is correct, i feel really bad for japan and BC/Alberta and the west of USA

@Varine, To-soon-ami?

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Japan abandons stricken nuke plant due to surge in radiation

FUKUSHIMA, Japan - Japan suspended operations to prevent a stricken nuclear plant from melting down Wednesday after a surge in radiation made it too dangerous for workers to remain at the facility.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said work on dousing reactors with water was disrupted by the need to withdraw.

Earlier officials said 70 per cent of fuel rods at one of the six reactors at the plant were significantly damaged in the aftermath of Friday's calamitous earthquake and tsunami.

News reports said 33 per cent of fuel rods were also damaged at another reactor. Officials said they would use helicopters and fire trucks to spray water in a desperate effort to prevent further radiation leaks and to cool down the reactors.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/japan-aban...-due-surge-radiation-20110315-194317-644.html

-----------------------

Sadly sounds like there will be a meltdown. You think people will be evacuated out of japan if it actually does meltdown?

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
omg :eek:

[YOUTUBE]0wYiNnHEGyY[/YOUTUBE]

I would have shit my pants if I were there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.