Sci/Tech Microsoft to Buy Skype for $8.5 Billion

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
10:28 a.m. | Updated Microsoft announced on Tuesday that it would buy Skype Global for $8.5 billion in cash, in its largest acquisition ever.

In Skype, Microsoft is buying the leader in Internet voice and video communications, with 107 million users per month connected for more than 100 minutes a month on average. That large and active user base represents a major asset, Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive, said in an interview. “It’s an amazing customer imprint,” Mr. Ballmer said. “And Skype is a verb, as they say.”

In an interview Mr. Ballmer never mentioned Google, Microsoft’s archrival whose name is used as a verb in Internet search — a market where Microsoft is spending heavily to try to catch Google, making some recent progress, but at great financial cost.

Buying Skype, analysts say, gives Microsoft the upper hand in the fast-growing market for Internet communications, both for consumers and businesses.

“Google is way behind Skype, and getting ahead of Google in this market was certainly an incentive for Microsoft,” said Leif-Olf Wallin, an analyst for Gartner in Sweden.

Last edited by a moderator:

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think almost 1/2 the people who use Skype are Mac users which would be a huge loss for Microsoft. And they make Office for Mac, why wouldn't they support Mac with Skype? They get profit from it.

Although I've already seen the typical snobby Mac users with their "omg I don't put any Microsoft products on my Mac, goodbye Skype" type stuff.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
That would bring us to ask, how much does Google cost to both of you, Microsoft and Apple?

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Oh teh noes, if Microsoft screws up Skype (like all their other programs :p), what ever shall I use to have epic camsecks chats with the ladies?! D:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.