Muscle Or Excess Fat Goes First?

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
^ Title ^

If you don't consume enough calories to fill the demands of your metabolism or your exercise.

Which does your body break up for energy.

undeadorcjerk

The Ulitimate TheHelper.net Lurker
Reaction score
fat, thats why its there.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Actually both..

If you don't have enough calories to fill up what you need, fat and muscle will be cut. More fat, though.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you plan on improving the size and strength of your muscles greatly, it is recommended that you first get some fat/size in excess and then it gets consumed and becomes muscles. Else, what would become muscles? It won't simply appear magically. :D

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Well I think muscles expand from carbohydrate consumption, not from fat. They form tiny tears during excercize, and then they heal back together larger.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
If you plan on improving the size and strength of your muscles greatly, it is recommended that you first get some fat/size in excess and then it gets consumed and becomes muscles. Else, what would become muscles? It won't simply appear magically. :D

haha , nice logic daxtreme. But fat magicly appears too.

Anyways , pretty sure when you exercise , your muscles tear and when they regenerate , it grows back bigger than before.

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
eat 15 times your bodyweight in grams of calories

eat 1-1.5 times your bodyweight in grams of protein

1 gram of fat = 10 cals
1 gram of carb = 4 cals
1 gram of protein = 4 cals

40% 780 carbs
40% 780 protein
20% 390 fat

1950 cals (if your around 130 lbs)

Multi, Whey, Fish Oil at Night, Creatine
7-10% body fat for visible abs

The process:
Fat has absolutely nothing to do with the growth of muscle.

Your body has the amazing ability to adept to strains.
This means that when you lift enough weight, your body will put on muscle to cope with this in the future. You need to eat lean meats (for protein) and complex carbs (for carbohydrates). Your body uses the protein to repair the muscle, but it takes energy to do that, thus the carbs.

You cannot gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. Your body will cannibalize your muscles if your body does not receive protein. Much like it will use your stores of fat if your not eating enough energy.

They key to maintaining muscle mass during weight loss is to eat enough protein to sustain your muscles. This is about 1 gram per pound of pure muscle mass.

80% of weight loss is diet, if you eat right you'll lose the weight. Objectively you want to eat 500 less calories then what your body needs to function. So that your body will be reduced to use its stores. But if you create too much of a deficit your body will adept, much like it did to gain muscle mass, if your not eating enough your body will anticipate this to continue and will cling to every bit of calories it can, potentially increasing your fat mass.

Spot Reduction is an absolute myth, you can't do crunches to remove fat from your stomach, fat breaks down from your whole body in unison. Your body is genetically designed to store fat in certain places, and it is also designed to burn more fat from those places... but doing exercises for specific body parts will not increase the loss of fat from that particular section.

Like i said 80% of weight loss is your diet, but you can contribute to this with exercise. You have two options.
Increase muscle mass: More muscle burns more fat, even while your resting.

Run/jog/swim or participate in any sport that is constantly active, football is not an active sport because you are not continously moving. The plays last only a few seconds at most and you rest much longer. You want to be active for over 30 minutes, because it will take that long just to deplete your glycogen stores. Glycogen is energy that is stored in your muscles, you must deplete this for your body to initiate the fat burning process. It takes several days to restore your stores, so this is a building process. If you run 45 minutes every day continously for a week you will put in less effort to get to the fat burning stage (as you will have less glycogen to burn off).

Moving onward - WATER, very important. Drink lots of it.
Water has numerous affects on your body, and weight loss. Your liver is primarily what breaks down fat for use. If your kidneys are over-taxed your liver will take on some of their work load. Meaning your liver wont be able to apply fully to its own functions. Drinking water, and reducing or eliminating other unnecessary drinks will keep your kidneys running 100%, and this will allow your liver to run 100%.

A good way to judge if your drinking enough water? take a look at the concentration of your urine. If its dark, that means your not drinking enough water. If it's light, or even damn near clean your good to go. Your morning urine will have the highest concentration of particles, so judge this assessment off of a later urination.

That's the highlights of my knowledge, your welcome to add me on msn, or ask questions here if you want further information.

Cheers mate, hope i helped. :eek:

Reaction score
would this be a reason why I dont see a whole lot of muscle showing after tons of workouts because I weight like 115 lbs?

WastedSavior

Reaction score
would this be a reason why I dont see a whole lot of muscle showing after tons of workouts because I weight like 115 lbs?

Could be a few reasons, what do you consider a workout? and are you eating enough to gain weight?

Reaction score
Dude I dont even know, I eat like hella crazy, and never gain weight! Maybe I burn more then I consume? Ive been doing curls, weights, pull ups, push ups, sit ups, etc.

WastedSavior

Reaction score
Some people are hard gainers, they have really high metabolisms. It's not impossible, but it's alot of effort to gain weight as a hard gainer.

Eating becomes a chore, it's almost as bad gaining weight as it is losing weight. :eek:

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Some people are hard gainers, they have really high metabolisms. It's not impossible, but it's alot of effort to gain weight as a hard gainer.

Eating becomes a chore, it's almost as bad gaining weight as it is losing weight. :eek:

Oh life is so hard, staying what appears to be in shape with very little work :p

WastedSavior

Reaction score
Oh life is so hard, staying what appears to be in shape with very little work :p

Haha, i was comparing the physical endure not the emotional.

Try eating till your full, and then 3 hours later, eat the same portions. And continue this for 12 hours.

Then tell me whats harder, eating all that, or saying no to a few of your favorite foods. :p

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score

115lbs? Is that like 52 Kg only?!
I myself have problems gaining weight and eat till I almost burst:

You need to eat( more than you need) and train constantly MeRcChRiS.
Afaik your body needs some time to adjust to the new conditions.

I learned the same as WastedSavior wrote. Quite detailed infos, ty and +rep.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
i odnt care to read what anyone else said because its most likely crap

If you don't consume enough calories to fill the demands of your metabolism or your exercise.

Which does your body break up for energy.

muscle is much easier to go, you will lose fat to an extent, but your body is going to get rid of muscle too (most likely to a greater extent), depending on a number of factors, such as lifestyle, diet, genes, etc.

if I were to go on a caloric deficit, I would lose muscle , but I would also lose a good bit of fat because of my genetics, if some lard with shit genetics were to do the same thing, he'd most likely become "skinny fat" ( I coin the term), he would weigh less, but not be all that lean, because he lost a lot of muscle

you can, to an extent, "trick" your body into losing more fat the muscle, by for instance lifting heavy and hard while maintaining a caloric deficit

but remember, your body works through the laws of science, not trickery

eat 15 times your bodyweight in grams of calories

eat 1-1.5 times your bodyweight in grams of protein

1 gram of fat = 10 cals
1 gram of carb = 4 cals
1 gram of protein = 4 cals

40% 780 carbs
40% 780 protein
20% 390 fat

1950 cals (if your around 130 lbs)

Multi, Whey, Fish Oil at Night, Creatine
7-10% body fat for visible abs

this may work in general, but in no way is there an end all be all global diet that works, and this is a might bit to vague more 99% of ppl to understand

You cannot gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. Your body will cannibalize your muscles if your body does not receive protein. Much like it will use your stores of fat if your not eating enough energy.

this is very much false, I am proof of that

Spot Reduction is an absolute myth

not entirely true, I have read a few journal articles showing direct correlation between fat loss and spot lifting, though the reps ranges were unreal

Run/jog/swim or participate in any sport that is constantly active

guess you have never heard of HIIT

you must deplete this for your body to initiate the fat burning process

false, and beyond that, one of the points of cardio is to give an "up" to your metabolism, which lasts several hours, one of the many benefits of doing cardio, you burn more calories and fat for hours afterwards
also, depletion of glycogen is a function of the amount you have stored, which is a function of your sugar intake, 30 minutes could be a general idea for this, but doing this intense 30 minute cardio may very well burn just as much muscle as fat, which is why I tend to stray from cardio

ug I digress, I should not have read wasteds post

WastedSavior

Reaction score
but remember, your body works through the laws of science, not trickery
I disagree, your body has a set of defense mechanisms that can be imployed to increase your mass through "trickery".

this may work in general, but in no way is there an end all be all global diet that works, and this is a might bit to vague more 99% of ppl to understand
I'd say it's a good start for a rookie, although i guess it is a little vague.

this is very much false, I am proof of that
To build a lot of new muscle tissue, your body needs energy. In other words, you'll need to overfeed — to consume more calories than you're burning each day. To lose fat, you need to underfeed — to consume fewer calories than you burn.

If you do try to do both things at once, your progress in either direction will be so frustratingly slow that it won't be long before you feel like throwing in the towel.

It would be nice if the energy your body needs to build new muscle tissue came from stored fat. But, when your body is in a predominantly catabolic state (which it will need to be if you want to lose fat), gaining muscle is not its main priority.

Of course, there are exceptions, the most notable of which are beginners. More specifically, I'm talking about overweight beginners. And by "beginners," I mean people who are new to resistance exercise.

not entirely true, I have read a few journal articles showing direct correlation between fat loss and spot lifting, though the reps ranges were unreal
From what i've read the results are negligible.

guess you have never heard of HIIT
I've heard of high intensity interval training, but it's not something i suggest to beginners, Your body adepts easily to stress, and your efforts in the gym can be nulled if your not continuously changing your routine to increase the strain. HIIT is better for when you've hit a plateau and need a step up from traditional running.

false, and beyond that, one of the points of cardio is to give an "up" to your metabolism, which lasts several hours, one of the many benefits of doing cardio, you burn more calories and fat for hours afterwards
also, depletion of glycogen is a function of the amount you have stored, which is a function of your sugar intake, 30 minutes could be a general idea for this, but doing this intense 30 minute cardio may very well burn just as much muscle as fat, which is why I tend to stray from cardio
I disagree, you say it's false but you admit yourself that increasing your metabolism is only one point of cardio. Your body will use glucose and glycogen before it uses fat, and your body for the most part will not break down fat unless it has to. Your muscles will use glycogen until it runs out, it's not gonna suddenly drop it's own source of energy and start using fat.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> muscles expand from carbohydrate consumption
No, fat expands from carbohydrates. Muscles are built from protein.

This would be the basic process of increasing muscle mass:
working out, doing sports, whatever - this damages your muscles -> body needs energy to regenerate -> fat is turned into energy -> energy is used to regenerate muscles from protein

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
actually free glucose is used as energy, then muscle, then fat, as needed, your body stores fat so in times of dire need it can utilize it

To build a lot of new muscle tissu

you actually can't build new muscle, only increase the size and strength of that which you have

To lose fat, you need to underfeed — to consume fewer calories than you burn.

quite the opposite actually, this helps to lose muscle more then anything, you can lose fat while at a calorie surplus, easier said then done however
the idea is to be anabolic, and you don't always have to be at a calorie surplus to do this, you can lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously, by convincing your body its more important to be ready for the heavy lifting that lies ahead as opposed to the cold winters

efforts in the gym can be nulled if your not continuously changing your routine to increase the strain

i have to disagree, this may be true for a select few, but from past experience, and from others testimonials, this is not always the case

HIIT is better for when you've hit a plateau and need a step up from traditional running

if you mean using HIIT as a shock, then maybe, though I can think of better ways..
I was more referring to HIIT cardio, which can be employed to actually burn fat during your first 20 minutes, which is the goal after all, no?
I disagree, you say it's false but you admit yourself that increasing your metabolism is only one point of cardio. Your body will use glucose and glycogen before it uses fat, and your body for the most part will not break down fat unless it has to. Your muscles will use glycogen until it runs out, it's not gonna suddenly drop it's own source of energy and start using fat.

exactly my point, that type of cardio burns muscle more then anything, if your interested in dropping lbs fast, then this is for you, but if you want to actually look half decent in the mirror....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.