New Spell Contest!

Would You Participate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
Would you participate in a new spell contest if i were to hold it and judge the entries.....

a normal contest, with a theme of some kind

judging criteria would be like....

coding, aesthetics, description/icon, overall appeal to me

who would participate if it was limited to JASS only?
how about if it needed to be more then 1 ability made?
how would a prize of a custom ability made by me as well as rep influence you to participate?

please answer these questions and any others you can think of regarding this

and please actually post useful posts, so it will safe me the time of growing through and removing the worthless crap...ty :)

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Well, yeah if I knew JASS a bit :). I'd enter a Spell Contest for once but I would recommend myself to learn JASS. I'll enter sometime though.

1. All the JASS pros would come.
2. I'd probably drop out.
3. Rep is only a little bit. Not really much of a reward.

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
"Would you participate in a new spell contest if i were to hold it and judge the entries....."
Yes.
"a normal contest, with a theme of some kind"
Yes.
"judging criteria would be like....

coding, aesthetics, description/icon, overall appeal to me"
Yes.
"who would participate if it was limited to JASS only?"
Barley any one.
"how about if it needed to be more then 1 ability made?"
No problem.
how would a prize of a custom ability made by me as well as rep influence you to participate?
More the prize the maryier.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
If it weren't JASS, I'd probably participate ^_-

Don't really care about how many abilities made, 2-3 fine

Rep and spell = meh ;p

K

Kevin

I know no jass -_-o

Almost all of my abilities are designed for the hero and in conjunction with the hero's other abilities. -_-o

I'd love to participate but I doubt you'd like my abilities :(

I concentrate on storyline, and nifty abilities out of pre existing ones ^_^

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Well, I could enter, but I'd have to kinda cheat. Create the spell in GUI and convert to custom script. If that's allowed, I'd join.

lh2705

Just another Helper
Reaction score
I wish I could but I haven't learned JASS properly yet...

Well, thats allright I guess...

Really nice suggestion, yes!! :D

I

IKilledKEnny

a normal contest, with a theme of some kind

So far so good...

judging criteria would be like....

coding, aesthetics, description/icon, overall appeal to me

No, I think what's really important is what will spell do more then anything else....

Without a doubt NO.

Sure!

I suck at English, no idea what you said here. :p

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score

I have no JASS knowledge, so I couldn't participate in a JASS only contest.

More than 1 ability? Sure, no problem.

Wouldn't affect me much at all, having no current projects.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
what would make one spell better than another is the fact it was harder to make than just some non triggered noobish spell and the fact that a lot of ppl vote for it and they like it...

G

g1real

- you as jury?
not only you =P, but i dont mind, i would participate anyhow
- jassers only, how many?
No, probably only 2/3
- +rep as price, custom ability?
Sure =), but maybe a complete hero then and +rep XD
- More then 1 ability?
no, would reduce quality of spells and increase the time.

My opinion about jass that should be rated higher:
No, only judge by cleanity, and originality of trigger.

And those who call me lazy because I don't know jassing, should think before they post. I don't know jassing because I've got other stuff to do, and I can do everything I want to do for maps in GUI, so why bother "JASS"? No, I would learn it when the time comes, for now, I'll keep it to a basic knowledge of every coding. I can read parts of JASS just fine... =) could learn it myself really... tutorials would only speed that.

BlueSin

Reaction score
>>who would participate if it was limited to JASS only?

I will only join if it is Jass only. :)

>>how about if it needed to be more then 1 ability made?

Uh sure why not.

>>how would a prize of a custom ability made by me as well as rep influence you to participate?

Nice, I like.

rayquaza218

Reaction score
>>who would participate if it was limited to JASS only?

For those people who say JASS only... think of people who don't know JASS, im fine with both.

>>how about if it needed to be more then 1 ability made?

no problemo

>>how would a prize of a custom ability made by me as well as rep influence you to participate?

hehe hell yeah!!! (depends on what spell...)

please do make it, im dying for a spell making competition.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score

Don't limit the thing completely to JASS, maybe the main stuff, but I like to use GUI to call the actual function which does all the work. (And sometimes i've used GUI to do the easier stuff). But I still would participate if it was. :)

I don't usually like these kinds of contests because i'll always get stuck on the very last ability, even if i've finished the others. :(

The rep influence would be nice, but I don't know how i'd use the ability. (Maybe for infiltration?)

Corleone

Reaction score
Would I join? Yes. I was about to try to make a cool spell pack, so Im up for something like this.

Would I join if it were a JASS-only contest? Probably not. I can read JASS, but I can't really write in it ( well, never really tried ) so that would drop me out. Sure, GUI is more buggy, but you can still, relatively, optimize the code.

+Rep if you win? I don't really care.

More than 1 ability? Yes! Making one ability look good is easier than making 4 abilities look good.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
C'mon guys, we're not supposed to be discussing JASS vs GUI.

Programmer's Perspective said:
JASS always wins because it is, indeed, more readable for people who have a programming sense instead of drag and drop silliness. It's also faster under more factors than processing power. Only a layman would claim that it's only in charge of processing power. It only saves several kbs there...so pathetically pointless.

However, by the way Blizzard made their engine, programming in JASS is quite a bit faster for the engine than dragging and dropping GUI. Anyone who has taken a basic programming class should understand most loss of speed is in the overhead required. Using Database systems based off of SQL are slowest trying to connect to the database, so making sure the database is on the same server that utilizes it will eliminate most of the slowing overhead. The same is similar for JASS & GUI. GUI takes more time because first WE compiles it into JASS when the map is saved, then the GUI turns into a mess of redundant and wasteful function calls that causes the Warcraft III Engine to back over and process over itself. If you program in JASS, you can (but not necessarily; you can still program horribly and achieve GUI efficiency) eliminate overhead by using less function calls. Some of these function calls would be appropriately referred to as BJs.

If you want GUI to do things for you in one line that you have to do in three lines, by all means, write your own efficient JASS function you can call from another. It's much better than using BJs, which often call multiple functions. However, in the example of PolarProjection, it's better to just use reals than having to call a stupid function to compute reals and merge them together. You can do that in your function with more efficiency.

There, now swallow it up and learn JASS or don't complain. JASS is _really_ easy to learn and we have plenty of members who know how to do it, so asking for help is no problem. Trying to justify GUI is beyond silly--it's strictly pointless.

Anyhow, to add my own two cents, assuming I'd join the contest (though I probably won't, because last time I was one of the only submitters in a previous contest of emjlr3's), don't ask for multiple abilities. It's one thing to come up with a really cool looking and awesome ability to pour your mind into, but it's at least 200% more work to create another ability and try to synergize the two. The product is probably much cooler, but it does, really, take a lot more time.

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
My participaton would depend on the theme selected. If I don't find the theme funny, or excitting, I can't see any reasons for participating.
1. I could enter, since I know jass, but I dislike the fact that this reduces the people who are able to join to 10% or so.
2. Can't see any problems here.
3. I don't do it for the rep, nor a custom spell made by anybody.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.