Discuss here.

Frankly, I don't like the name Galaxy. It sounds too cheesy. :(

Garbage collection. <3

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
and WHY exactly didnt you put one?.
Becuase the way they used triggers, it wasn't that big of a deal to them? :p

So it will be possible to customize the game UI, it just won't be a user-friendly process.
Yay, kinda. Would be nice to be user friendly, but im glad it can be done at all!

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yay, kinda. Would be nice to be user friendly, but im glad it can be done at all!

I'm actually glad that part isn't built in; if anyone could edit the UI with no problem, then every noobmap would have the UI placed around randomly in the middle of the screen for no apparent reason. Now we can be sure that custom UI's will have some thought put into it.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
I'm actually glad that part isn't built in; if anyone could edit the UI with no problem, then every noobmap would have the UI placed around randomly in the middle of the screen for no apparent reason. Now we can be sure that custom UI's will have some thought put into it.
There are ways to make it built in but still not easy and finable for any old noob, but you have a point there.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
You could were able to modify the in-game UI in Warcraft III as well =/. Model and textures editing. I am not sure about the models, probably it would have been a lot of hassle, but the textures were easy to modify. I think the same will be for Starcraft II.

And I agree that Galaxy sounds a bit gay... :p.

One significant new feature of the Trigger Editor is support for custom function definitions, including actions and conditions. This means you can create your own actions that are built up from other actions (or custom script code), then use those in triggers just as you would any other action.

:thup:

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Woah i really want sc2 lol

I'm learning(or trying to atleast) to learn c++
so if I learn "Galaxy" I can understand both languages better, and have a high understanding of C :)
Playing sc2's actually educational!
and since it's being released in 2009, i can get it for free!!!!!!!

ROTS19

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Originally posted by Karune [Blizzard Poster]

StarCraft II Q&A Batch 52 : Map Maker Series

3. In comparison to the Warcraft III Editor, how much more, if any, can the GUI of the game be edited (it was extremely limited in Warcraft III)?
The in-game UI layout is externalized in data files to a large extent, however there is no editor support for working with these files. So it will be possible to customize the game UI, it just won't be a user-friendly process.

Well it certainly was in the War3 editor. There was a whole section where you customized UI images/models/text/colors/etc.

Originally posted by Karune [Blizzard Poster]

4. Are there new noteworthy functionalities in the Starcraft II Editor, or will the new editor just have general improvements?
I can’t think of a single editor feature from WarCraft III, large or small, which has not been improved in at least some way for StarCraft II.

Well i just listed one. Also the thing about units being able to be turned into water units easily just with a click in the war3 editor.

6. How does "Hero" support differ from the Warcraft III Editor? Or is it practically identical?
We’ve been working hard to create a hero system that is even more flexible than WarCraft III’s. For example, map makers will have the ability to define any number of custom attributes that modify a hero based on its level.

Cool.
8. Will there be improvements on the "Garbage Collector" for the new language? For example, in JASS all local variables need to be set to null at the end of their use, and certain data-types need to be removed from the game (such as Locations) at the end of their use to avoid memory leaks.
Galaxy features a robust garbage collection system for all native types, which is a huge improvement over WarCraft III (which technically did not have a garbage collection system at all). The script memory leak issues from WarCraft III will be a thing of the past.

Also cool.

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Time to go and learn C programming hahaha.....

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
What a useless batch, I mean c'mon guys Galaxy sounds like some kind of a ice-cream vanilla desert with black chockolate covering that you eat in the hot summer days.

Also the questions were a bit too retarded. I mean there are a lot more important things that we need to answers for, like:
"In warcraft III there were some 2d maps who gave a lot of fresh ideas. Will there be a 2d built in engine in the start edit?"
or
"will there be clickable multiboards?"

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Well it certainly was in the War3 editor. There was a whole section where you customized UI images/models/text/colors/etc.

They are talking about the in-game UI, Rots. That section of the Editor was specifically for the Editor.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why would there be a 2D engine?
And you could make 2D games in Wc3 too. If it's too hard for you, then tough.

Also, I'm sure more people are interested in questions like these, than "Will there be a 2D engine".

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Since they said that UI-modificating isn't that user friendly, I'm playing with the thought of making an UI-editor, what do you think? xD Should be relatively simple, as I already have a highlighting engine.

I'm actually pretty happy about this. This is what I thought it would become, and I knew that my highlighter would end up highlighting C... eventually.

Time for me to pick up C again!

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not being user friendly probably means about as friendly as it was for Wc3.
Basically, all we need is to import some textures.

Nothing too difficult in my opinion.
Besides, nobody likes huge custom textures in a map. :(

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
Ehh, am I misunderstanding something here..? I meant the Trigger Editor UI. The thing Sevion edited for making EGUI.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Since they said that UI-modificating isn't that user friendly
3. In comparison to the Warcraft III Editor, how much more, if any, can the GUI of the game be edited (it was extremely limited in Warcraft III)?
The in-game UI layout is externalized in data files to a large extent, however there is no editor support for working with these files. So it will be possible to customize the game UI, it just won't be a user-friendly process.

I'm pretty sure 'they' were talking about the in-game UI. Not the Trigger Editor UI.

> Ehh, am I misunderstanding something here..?
:rolleyes:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Ehh, am I misunderstanding something here..? I meant the Trigger Editor UI. The thing Sevion edited for making EGUI.

5. Will the ability to communicate among triggers, for instance via actions or conditions, be improved in the new language?
One significant new feature of the Trigger Editor is support for custom function definitions, including actions and conditions. This means you can create your own actions that are built up from other actions (or custom script code), then use those in triggers just as you would any other action.

Well, this pretty much kills EGUI, doesn't it...

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Galaxy isn't as bad a name as PHP. I mean c'mon it's an endless loop.

It seems really cool though, and the possibilities seem endless. I bet you could pretty much make your own full games with it.

I hope the new language isn't too difficult to learn though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.