+rep Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
This question is like the Hen and Egg riddle.

Who gave the first +rep? Was it the Admin's or moderators? Because without the first +rep then nobody else could get +rep. And why would Admin's/Moderators want to +rep? The first +rep must've gone to a very helpful person, if not everybody starting off with some +rep.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
They probably didn't start with Reputation the way it is now.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't the mods and admins give rep? We do it all the time... or at least I do whenever I see a helpful post that may have gone unnoticed by others.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When someone with 0 rep gives rep, they give +1. That means that anyone could have given the first.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Mods and admins do give out rep (in bunches as well!) ^^ i had quite a few rep boosts of +10 in 2005, luckily for me all that rep declined in my four years of inactivity XD

And i also noticed Rep given=Amount of rep blocks you have.

The rep is really a good system, because it ''makes people help other people'' which is the point of this website/forums ^^

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
Zero rep is not negative rep.
I believe admins set their reps to high value when they begin the forum.
Besides respect, it also shows seniority.
If the forums starts everything from zero,
it would take very very long time before the rep system gains high number...

By the way, I believe now the max rep you can get from a person is 5.
I believe an admin can manually set the rep value.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
But if it ONLY took the admins and moderators do distribute the +rep, it would take ages to get it spreading properly.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you get repped by someone with <0 rep: You will get 0.
When you get repped by someone with 0 rep: You will get 1.
When you get repped by someone with >0 rep: You will get (Their rep/100)+1 (a limit of +5 for non-admins)

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> it would take ages to get it spreading properly

Few years perhaps. TH is quite old.
Not all the moderators are given free reps from admins.
Most of them earned them. They helped and gain their rep.
They've had high rep before becoming mods.

Stay longer. Contribute more. Ask less. Answer more. Self learn. Use the search button.
Your rep will increase gradually...

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
When you get repped by someone with <0 rep: You will get 0.
When you get repped by someone with 0 rep: You will get 1.
When you get repped by someone with >0 rep: You will get (Their rep/100)+1 (a limit of +5 for non-admins)

It was not always like that, anyway. When I joined, people with 0 rep gave 0 rep xD, as I remember. They changed it a while ago, though.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I remember getting a lot more rep :p

attachment.php

Attachments

• rep_over_10.jpg
    rep_over_10.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 358

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regular members and moderators give as much as the amount of dark green rep bars you have. They take half of that (rounded up).
Admins give and take 10 points.

If you have negative rep, you cannot give or take rep.
With no rep, you give and take 1 point.

Back in the day, admins were automatically given 2000 rep, which is why many admins (and ex-admins) that don't post or help much have so much rep. Then again, they do keep the site alive, so no complaints. :p
A few members (me and KC, to name two), have actually earned over 2000 rep, starting from 0.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Regular members and moderators give as much as the amount of dark green rep bars you have. They take half of that (rounded up).
Admins give and take 10 points.

If you have negative rep, you cannot give or take rep.
With no rep, you give and take 1 point.

Back in the day, admins were automatically given 2000 rep, which is why many admins (and ex-admins) that don't post or help much have so much rep. Then again, they do keep the site alive, so no complaints. :p
A few members (me and KC, to name two), have actually earned over 2000 rep, starting from 0.

It's all proportional though, 'back in the day' kc gave +15, before he was a super mod; it was lulz.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Pineapple use to give 21+ before becoming a moderator. So he could give more than the Admins. (unless they update it via CP)

That was changed maybe about a year ago, and now the max for everyone besides admins is 5

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I'd give roughly 22 w/ the old system. Boy I loved that system.

Edit: 23.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
So, we go back to the Origins of Reputation.

History starts out with The Helper as a StarCraft Most Valuable Poster.

Then and then, he accidentally stumbled upon a thread in Battle.Net Forums, saying about some karma.

Now, after posting a few more, and complaining about how others are doing, he started thinking about the "karma", the act of giving and returning.

From there, he and Logical_1 chatted and talked about it. Logical_1 gave the idea of having this "status" (later changed to Power, then today known as reputation).

And from there they are building a system. But that's before The Helper decided to use vBulletin Forums. After he did, vBulletin Forums already had this system implemented.

So, he goes about and work on it, while charging the reputation by some 5 cents a point (something like that...I don't know how much is a reputation worth.)

And worked and worked, he finally came up with a system used currently, as you see it in its glory.

---------------

At least, it's a good "Origin" of the Reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.