Other Roller Coaster

What Do you think of roller Coaster?

• Cool Game, I would play this, and more then once.

Votes: 85 63.0%
  • Yes Sounds Like Somthing i might would try once.

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Sounds intersting, But I dont think i would enjoy playing it

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • This is a horrible game idea, or a horrible game idea for warcraft

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Hmm K Ill switch with your old. I really like it, its much different then the others.
Most of the others look a little nuts, yours almost looks like a coaster i would enjoy in real life. (still too scary for me)
It also looks like it has cool sections, that are clearly seen.

Something i been wondering. And that's if anyone tested out the prebuilt coasters. its my guess no because i haven't seen any remotely like them.
One has a very large loop.

The Next update might be a week or two away. it relly depends on how my classes go and such. I am really hoping to finish all the basics for next version.
Like Icons, Tips, Any Sorta Optional Guide/Walk though (like you watch it do it step by step or something) To help new player learn to make coasters.
As soon as that updates out. I will be able to focus on A few game modes And then after that multi-player.

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
Tips:
-Moar Space!!
-Being able to place coasters at different spots(build them instead of 1 preplaced 1.)
-Being able to place paths that the units walk(when you make them =P)
-Extra rides like merry go rounds, ect.(once you add a theame park mode that is lol.)
-Adding a nice AI for the coustomers, including bathroom needs, food needs, fun needs, drink needs, and others.(once Theame park is finished.)
-More than 1 type of coaster, like wooden, metal, ect.
-A better physics engine, the one right now doesnt seem to speed up when going down, nor friction, nor slowing down when going up.(if you made going up slow down, then you would need to make a track part called chains that bring it up.)

If you finished those maybe not even all of them, this could be a great game!
PS: is this dead and did i waste my time?(if so then noooooooo this cant be dead =[ )

rover2341

Reaction score
"Moar Space!!"
"A better physics engine"

This is planed.

The rest of it. can come after the main stuff is done. But its not relly planed. But i know there is alot of interest i have found in making this more of a one player game. My goal was to make it not as complex but easyer for 10-60 min games. But once i get what i got planed done. I will either start working on that or clean up my code some and open it up for anyone that wants to add that on. or make a mod of the game.

"is this dead and did i waste my time?"

No, i just busy with school. I still work on it a little every day. The AI Is close to finished. But i am hoping to have alot more done in my next update. that should be here around the end of Feb.

Fire-Wolf

S.P.D Smoke Pot Daily, Legalize It!
Reaction score
yay you posted :D ok great, i cant wait for the next v!! plz whisper me when you come out with a new v, and i think a better physics engine should be your next top priority. along with more space, lawl.

rover2341

Reaction score
Updated Map. Roller Coaster Alpha 1.9

In this update i got quite a few smaller things i wanted to clean up.
It has a much better ride experience then in the past, and many cool stats.
I didn't get to work on the core of the game sadly but hopefully by next version.

Updates
Sky
Larger area to build in
Minor Terrain work
Improved Stats For Roller Coaster
Colored Stats
Re did parts and add some functionality to the builder
add functionality to the rider
Re did Physics
Added Things you pass to make it feel like your moving.
Tips (can be turned off)
Revamped Quest Menu.

Request
In This Version, I am looking to continue lowering the learning curve.
If you try the game and can think of any good tips, i could add i would like to hear them.
Or Any Tips you find confusing or not useful i would like to know (current tips).

Plans For next update
2 Game modes(Free Build, Ai Challenge)
Icons Added to spells.
Fix Rider Cam
Improve Cart, To better ride on tracks

Pending on adding, unsure at moment
Some Basic Music. (can be turned off)
A Basic Tutorial in game, that shows the basics, if you want to use it. (Pending, Might not do this next version or ever...)

duyen

Reaction score
I've got a suggestion:

You could start out with like 100 tracks, and if people like your roller coaster, they pay you to ride it (you set how much it costs, but people won't come to a really expensive roller coaster of course), and with the money you get to buy more tracks, to make cooler coasters.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
The first version was very buggy. Sometimes the unit would be floating, sometimes not and it got very messed. The pics look awesome though. +rep.

rover2341

Reaction score
Anman64
I got some plans for that, but still working on the basic functions.
Currently i still working on free build. But my third game mode has what your talking about. gonna be a bit though

D.V.D
Ya My first version was, this version the rider still has issues(the cart staying on the tracks) and the rider cam has minor issues. But overall its alot better.
My first version is really a different map i started this one from scratch about a month ago. I took the new windows approach, don't put anything in it unless its at least 80% done.
Before i was testing out a few concepts, now anything less then 80% done i don't add to official updates.

SerraAvenger
Cool, Thanks for the comment.

About the First person Rider Cam
I did a bit more testing last night and i got one of the best suggestions ever. And if you ride a coaster you cant tell from first person that your going fast very easy. but i think ill add little flags on the sides of the every 5th or 10th track. so it will be easier to tell you speed. Anyone think this would do the trick?

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
I Just got around to playing this recently.. I found it much too hard to complete a coaster, unless I just dont get how to do it right. (It never lets me place pieces when trying to connect it back to the house.)

Once I got how to controlls work (took a while..) it was pretty fun though.

EDIT: After COMPLETLY restarting, I got it to be able to finish the track... It wasn't working right the first time though.

EDIT2: Ok.. I found out the problem was that when I was trying to fuiger out the controls I somehow got upside down, so I couldn't finish.

A list of things I think should be made\changed:
  • The tracks don't allways connect right on twists
  • You should be able to set it so that you speed up on some tracks. So when you toggle the option to on, you cart will speed up as it drives over the track, if its off it does not speed up.
  • You should be able to change the sky in game
  • You should be able to raise\lower terrain, change tilesets, and place down doodads\people\buildings.
  • Get rid of shadows on tracks!
  • You should get a custom cart model that can actually hold people in it, so you feel like your in a cart actually. It doesn't seem right just foating along the tracks. If not that, make it so you are behind the cart, not infront.

but i think ill add little flags on the sides of the every 5th or 10th track. so it will be easier to tell you speed.
Thats a good idea, too.

lindenkron

You can change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Two things.

1. MAKE IT GO FASTER! Gain speed faster when going down, and lose abit less when going up so it can keep some speed in it. Noone wants to ride a slow rollercoaster! :D
2. Amazing idea, loved it hehe. Add some more speed to it though, I really missed that :p.

Edit:
This looks pretty sweet. I sure do hope you get a texture for those rails, though :p
True, something like

Wood:
r9ka5w.jpg

Metal:
2n80a6h.jpg

Good luck with this project! :thup:
-Lindenkron

rover2341

Reaction score
CaptDeath

or for speed have a speed indicating multiboard and update it every .16 second

It the version i plan on updating online in a few days. It has it where you click a spell and it shows speed. I am changing it to show your current speed by default as many people still don't know your changing speed, and ask for it.

Daskunk

EDIT2: Ok.. I found out the problem was that when I was trying to fuiger out the controls I somehow got upside down, so I couldn't finish.
Ya, This is a common pitfall. Many try to go the ground and cant, as they are upside down. So i have decided to have it tell everyone when there upside down. and continue to tell them till there not upside down. Any better ideas?

* The tracks don't always connect right on twists
This is from lack of models, mostly. And i am pretty happy with how they are, as it took me over a year to get those models. and about 3-5 attempts from 2 modelers.

* You should be able to set it so that you speed up on some tracks. So when you toggle the option to on, you cart will speed up as it drives over the track, if its off it does not speed up.
Perhaps But you currently speed up and slow down like in real life. But I know some coasters in real life have what your talking about. At this point i am trying to lower the learning curve and that would add to it. Maybe at some point, but not intill most everything else is done.

* You should be able to change the sky in game
As this will be a 4 player game, i am not so sure that makes alot of sence.

* You should be able to raise\lower terrain, change tilesets, and place down doodads\people\buildings.
As i said before the learning cruve is too high as it is. But i have heard this request many times. This is something if it were a one player game i would 100% add, I plan on adding something much like this farther along. But It would only be allowed in one game mode (Free Build). As i am trying to keep things simple.

* Get rid of shadows on tracks!
I agree the shadows dont look great. But with out them i think it would look worse...Heres what ill do, I test this game alot. Like 5 games a day with new players, and see what they think.

* You should get a custom cart model that can actually hold people in it, so you feel like your in a cart actually.
This is planed, and been asked for serverl times, But i am not a modeler, so this will have to wait. If someone is interested i do have it a way a would much prefer just pm me or e-mail me [email protected]

It doesn't seem right just foating along the tracks. If not that, make it so you are behind the cart, not infront.
Ya, I dont know where it should be, Maybe one in front one behind. I was hoping to have this done by next version i will update this weekend, but i spent most of my time with the ai and icons, so options be be in front or behind will be made.

Thanks for the feed back. Sorry you had such a hard time.

lindenkron

1. MAKE IT GO FASTER! Gain speed faster when going down, and lose abit less when going up so it can keep some speed in it. Noone wants to ride a slow rollercoaster!

It does currently. And its easy to tell if your on the third person cam. With out the use of sliding triggers its max speed. and as i don't currently know how to use them and have enough to work on, maybe at some point when i am farther along ill learn how they work. (I changed it so you can see the speed changing by default, unless you turn it off with a spell. Will be in next update)

2. Amazing idea, loved it hehe. Add some more speed to it though, I really missed that .

Ill have you start a little faster k?

Skins
Also can you tell me how to apply both of those skins? as i don't know how to do that. did you make those skins or are they in game some how? Anyone know?
I like the wood one the best, as it gives a better warcraft theme i think. but both could work

Next Update
Should be at end of month, Trying to push this version to have as much as i can get done in it.

Daskunk

Reaction score
So i have decided to have it tell everyone when there upside down. and continue to tell them till there not upside down. Any better ideas?
Actually, thats exactly what I was going to suggest!

This is from lack of models, mostly. And i am pretty happy with how they are, as it took me over a year to get those models. and about 3-5 attempts from 2 modelers.
Well, its not top priority, but it would look nicer if it worked right.

Perhaps But you currently speed up and slow down like in real life. But I know some coasters in real life have what your talking about. At this point i am trying to lower the learning curve and that would add to it. Maybe at some point, but not intill most everything else is done.
If you made it be off by defualt, and kept it this way as well, I think it would be okay. It wouldn't be required, thus not adding to the learning curve to much IMO.

As this will be a 4 player game, i am not so sure that makes alot of sence.
Make it single player only then.

As i said before the learning cruve is too high as it is. But i have heard this request many times. This is something if it were a one player game i would 100% add, I plan on adding something much like this farther along. But It would only be allowed in one game mode (Free Build). As i am trying to keep things simple.
They would only be optional, in a seperate building or something, I don't think it would make it that much harder. You could also make it single player only if you need to, but I think you would get a better sense of speed and direction riding your roller coaster if it had more of an enviorment.
I agree the shadows dont look great. But with out them i think it would look worse...Heres what ill do, I test this game alot. Like 5 games a day with new players, and see what they think.
Why would it be worse with no shadows?

Thanks for the feed back. Sorry you had such a hard time.
I didn't have that hard of a time, but the controls were really confusing at first.

rover2341

Reaction score
but the controls were really confusing at first.

Is there a way i can help new players not be as confused with the controls. I do have all new icons, that i think will help new players figure it out better. But that will be in next version. any other suggestions for making it so the controls arnt as confusing? I know most get it after messing around with it for 3-10 min. But that's pretty high learning curve.

Also i agree, ill add a 2ed building. But i still believe it should only be there for free build mode. Because the other 2 modes are based on Ai Grading your coaster in a limited amount of time.

lindenkron

Reaction score
Rover
>>Also can you tell me how to apply both of those skins? as i don't know how to do that.
  1. Get War3ModelEditor.
  2. Open your track models (.mdx) and save them has (.mdl).
  3. Open the .mdl file in Notepad and change the Texture\White.blp to "Metal.blp" or "Wood.blp".
  4. Open the .mdl file in War3ModelEditor and save it as (.mdx).
  5. Import the new file, together with the attached file --> Look down at attachments.
  6. *Remember*Remove the track colour they currently have. Since it 'over-shines' the texture.
>>did you make those skins or are they in game some how? Anyone know?
I made them myself. They are very simple, and look good if you ask me :)

>>I like the wood one the best, as it gives a better warcraft theme i think. but both could work
Hehe, I think the wood one is nice as well :).
It's rather simple skins that look good if you ask me.

If you got any problems etc, contact me.

-Lindenkron :thup:

Edit:
Rover said:
It does currently. And its easy to tell if your on the third person cam. With out the use of sliding triggers its max speed. and as i don't currently know how to use them and have enough to work on, maybe at some point when i am farther along ill learn how they work. (I changed it so you can see the speed changing by default, unless you turn it off with a spell. Will be in next update)
What I mean is, make it hit 522 speed faster than it currently does. I tried your rollercoaster that was pre-made and I only hit something like 433 speed. Make it almost instantly go to 522 speed (not instantly, but you know what I mean). 522 should be fast enough, if you're on that speed for a while when going down etc :).

Attachments

• wood.blp
    11 KB · Views: 240
  • metal.blp
    16.3 KB · Views: 236

Daskunk

Reaction score
Your english isn't allways the best in your map. Allthough it didn't trouble me as far as learning, it would be nice if it was fixed.

These are the things that confused me:

It wasn't clear that clicking the arrow keys or set would CREATE track, only change the type of track it would be when you created it some other way. It wasn't hard to fuiger out, but there was no text explaining the controls at the start.

I thought you would use the arrow keys to move WHERE the track would be put down, not what direction the track was going, and you would select what direction it is another way.

It was also weird that the track turns to its left or right, not yours.

The controlls work perfect, are not confusing, and make sense once you learn them.. But there is nothing explaining them so you CAN learn them.

lindenkron

Reaction score
As Daskunk says.

Ontop of it, change the middle track to an arrow that looks like it's going straight (instead of having text on it) was quiet confusing.

Also, a REALLY helpfull feature I think would be being able to 'sit in the rollercoaster' while making it. If you're seing the tracks from the view of the rollercoaster it would be easyer to see which way is which way :).

If you don't understand this explanation I understand it, and ill try to screenshot what I mean for you ;).

-Lindenkron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.