Rubik's cube

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Woah, I didn't know this thing was so serious to some people, Sweet !!! I just love competitive communities, and I support them, therefore I support the rubic cube!!!

Yeah man, you'd be surprised how serious it can get. The rubiks cubes that I have aren't even legit "rubiks cubes". They're called speed cubes, and they're the same thing, but they're made so they spin as physically fast as possible for doing speed stuff. You oil them and stuff too. I got all of mine off ebay. Lol

Check em' out, you can get some pretty awesome ones really cheap. Most even come with oil and stuff for it. They work soooo much better and faster than "real" rubiks cubes. Lol
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...313&_nkw=speed+cube&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Elder, do you use a speed cube or a Rubik's cube? Because I use a Rubik's :D

I also have a sheep one that my friend got me from Ireland.

Rubiks-Cube-Wacky-Woolies-Irish-Gifts-161824_image.jpg

Vellu

Real eyes realize real lies.
Reaction score
I think I got a new record: 0:44.9. I need to learn some more algothrims for the last layer.
PS. I like that sheep-cube.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
That doesn't look so hard Or does it?

triplex.jpg

i used to have one... spent 2 days (approx 12 hours total) on it until i gave up, took it apart, put it together with all the colours matching, and never touched it again and now its lost.
Oh dear. lol

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Unofficially the biggest cube made: 17x17x17. And yes, that IS a terrible Dutch accent.
[video=youtube;ihWyzvOM9pk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihWyzvOM9pk&NR=1[/video]

The Petrus method is quite beast, to say the least. I could never get further than 2x2x3.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score

It looks like you can turn it and it would still be in the same shape. However, whether or not it's "solved" might be relatively hard to determine, given that there are 3 connected cubes each with a red top, yellow side and blue side. I'll go with unlikely to be real, for this reason.

Vellu

Reaction score
My Rubik's Cube exploded. The bottom side's middle piece broke so RIP my beloved cube 2011-2011. :(

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Awwww poor little cube LOL.
I guess you buy a new one, in the future Yes?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I have never done these seriously (books/algorithms) but could usually do it in like 5-10 minutes (it was something I did when I was bored to pass the time, not to find the best time)

Vellu

Reaction score
Awwww poor little cube LOL.
I guess you buy a new one, in the future Yes?
I'm not so sure, feeling a little lazy because I'd need to oil it. Every new cube is like a solid piece of concrete.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I have a rubix cuve. I started it the day I bought it and got only lik 3 sidez and stopd. And I never tuched it again.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can get the first layer, where like you have one side finished and then I can get all the corners to line up, but I forget the algorithms after that.

Any advice for a noob rubixer?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
If you solve it the booklet way then turn the cube so the completed layer is face down.

Next, use the URU'F'U'R'UF and alternatively U'L'ULUFU'F to place the edge pieces in place. To use these algorithms, first place the correct edge piece in place so that the color facing you (on the front face) corresponds to the center piece's color.

I always remember which algorithm to use by remembering that you initially turn the piece away from where you want to put it.

After this, you should have the first and second layers done. Last is the top layer. First we have to solve the cross. There are four arrangements that are possible.

A Dot, an L, a Line, and a Cross.

If you're in a cross arrangement, skip to the next part. If not, then there is a simple algorithm to use to permute the edge pieces. This algorithm will permute a Dot into an L, an L into a Line, and a Line into a Cross. Do it as many times as you need to go from your current state to a cross. The algorithm is FRUR'U'F'.

You should have a cross on the top face now.

Check to see if the edge pieces are aligned properly. If not, then see if you have two adjacent edge pieces in the correct permutation. If so, hold the cube so that one faces away from you and the other your right.

If you have the pieces lined up so that edges that should be adjacent are across from each other, hold it so that one faces you and the other is facing away from you.

If you perchance have a case that has neither of these situations, hold the cube any way you please (with the top face facing up of course).

Do the following permutation: RUR'URUUR'U.

The first orientation should only require one permutation. The second, two (one will get you to the first permutation). The third, three (one gets you to the second permutation).

From here, you have to position the corners. Do so by finding a corner that's in the right position but not necessarily in the right orientation. Put it in the bottom right corner of the top face (if you look straight down on the top face). If there is none, then do the permutation once first and look again.

The permutation is as follows: URU'L'UR'U'L

Once all of the corners are positioned, use R'D'RD to orient the corners. The number of times you need to do this varies. Just keep going until all of the corners are oriented.

Lastly, rotate each layer until they're positioned in a solved state.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, that's quite a detailed explanation, Sevion, thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.