Tell Us Your Story When You First Used The Editor

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Well, nice too see people reading this. Well, I would like to hear your stories when you firstly discovered the world editor, I will give some questions that might spice up your interest in telling your story. How did you find the world editor, what did you think at first was its purpose? Did you recognize Warcraft first than the editor? Did someone told you about it? What was the feeling discovering the magic of triggers? Did making a project instantly came into your mind? What was your inspiration?

Well, I am going to tell my story too for a fair price.

My Story
I was in the first year of high school and I was 13 (First year high school maybe different in some places). I was a transferee and know just a little people at the university, at that time, I did not have too much confidence as of now. As far as I can remember, the root that let me to this map making world is a simple conversation. I met this two guys, who became one of my friends, it was the time we need to have a pictorial for our IDs, they were a bit noisy and i was sitting next to them, I never knew much about them yet at that time.

As time goes by, I recognized more and more of my classmates, soon I heard them talking about something like a game, they were talking like a competition will happen between both of them. I barged in their conversation, at that time DotA was not that popular, so I listened to them, the game sounds so interesting, they mentioned about wind walk, then i asked what is wind walk. They did not explain it to me and just said to play with them after school.

So I decided to play with them after school, I played a DotA version where the scrolls still has scroll icons. Well I had Crystal maiden at first. I learned the basics of that game. When I got in the second year, I had more competitions, my new classmates has been used with the all random mode, I was always picking the maiden at that time, I did get to play much, still I had not much skill, until I had my own computer. My dad Installed me the warcraft, so now I had warcraft, and it already has some custom maps. But when I first discovered world editor, it was way back before I had my computer, I just had thrown units in the ground, never knew even the object editor. I had been then studying world editor at that time, while becoming a pro in DotA. I mastered DotA and all I needed was some updating my strategies, now I don't play it much anymore since I have less things to discover about it.

I then decided to go deeper into the editor, at that moment I have no internet connection yet, so I have to be in a computer shop. Then I typed in the yahoo search "World Editor" guess what, the world edit tutorials got first in the list. I was not familiar with navigation at that time, I clicked random links that interests me. The first topic I saw was the custom loading screen tutorial. When I got back after a long vacation from my grandmothers house, at that time my computer was busted and needed to be reformatted, until I got my internet. That is where I got to understand world editor more. At first I used the DotA template for a game composed of heroes, with my classmates name on it. I am perfectionist, so the tooltips was a bit difficult, and i had to write it in our dialect "Illongo" which I find out more complicated to use for games than English. I had done it properly by following the instructions. I got tired of making the map I abandoned it, I have been hooked in the forums, since it's a good way to communicate and interact (Life in the virtual world).

I learned more by asking, and answering others questions, it was difficult to me at that time since I barely know about forums. I did not know double posting, I did not know flaming. A little while when I got long enough time in the forums, i made my other map "Twilight Avatars" it was not that successful though since I was not that good in triggers then. I made it up to three versions for the map and guess what it only took minor changes. Diamondhero05 was my team up at that time.

Then I decided to abandon that game, at first I was thinking of multi projects, the concepts were too good for me to abandon, I posted the two other projects "Fluffy Friends Typing Game" and "Devastate" they were just small projects in my vision. Thats where i was wrong, at Fluffy, I encountered a lot of problems with the triggers. And at Devastate, I lack of resources, though Devastate was well planned. Until right now I find myself typing, and currently developing a game that is not mentioned though. But still I'm hoping this game would be a more successful game. I hope you enjoyed reading my long story.

Insane!

Shh I didn't edit this, go away.
Reaction score
It was a while after i started playing, when i found the editor i was so good at triggers for some reason :D

FhelZone

Reaction score
Sorry I posted it 4 in the morning, have not had my sleep yet, so there were no paragraphs xD

MagnaGuard

Reaction score
I started world editor in warcraft II. I made a melee map so I could use ships, turns out I lost. Got warcraft III. Didn't touch WE for over a year when finally we had no internet. I started WE and started playing with it. Turns out I love to create stuff so here I am xD.

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Ah, I still remember the first time I used it.. It was quite exciting. I opened it and here I am.

Well I didn't know what triggers were or trigger spells. So I always tried to make Dota spells by just base it off other existed spell, and yeah.. Didn't went so well. But thank you that WarChasers existed, learnt me the basic of GUI. Of course, first time I mapped I tried to make a melee map, which didn't went so well either, since I never heard of AI, but that's another story :D

Randor244

Reaction score
Hmm, difficult... It has been a while since that lovely first date with the WE.

Anyway, here's my story:

I got Warcraft when I was 13 years old. I had only played it before three, maybe four times when I was with my friend who had it. So, I was very exalted. I cracked the case, inserted the CD-rom and installed ROC with TFT.

I played a bit, tried some moves. Played the first 10 levels of the campaign.
Then I thought:
"What about an editor?"
I had used editors of Age of Mythology, the Age of Empires series, and more. So an editor for my new favorite game i thought would be really great!
I checked the program folder and opened the editor.
At first it seemed unreachable for me, I couldn't use it very good since it was much more advanced then all the other editors I'd used (Age of Empires I, anyone?)

What you should know is that I got internet just now, so I couldn't draw my inspiration from DotA and such. It was a hard time coming up with all these ideas...

Therefore it wasn't really a surprise that my first map, Two Islands, became a complete fiasco. Simply it was two islands (cliffs) on a plain grass ground with a river between. A gold mine, some trees, nothing more.

After maybe a month, I had figured out the more basic fundamentals of the WE and started making other maps. The first real map I made was entitled "Four Continents", a melee map with two rivers crossing each other in the middle.
This map was pretty fun to play, and me and my brother played it nearly all the time.
After a few weeks, however, I begun to think about a new map, a large map. The Way to Kalimdor was born. In fact that became a horrific map. I couldn't use triggers yet, so my trigger-like features was not really good...

One year later...

My first really good map was The River, also a melee map. It was a jungle map where each player (twelve of them) begun with an artifact (artifact as in really good item) and that became fun to play.
I made a few other maps too, but The River was the one I put the most attention to.

One year passed.

As I begun learning triggers, another idea came up in my mind. A map other than a melee map. An RPG. I constructed the Ways of Destiny map, with a gigantic world, 10 different heroes (though their spells was not trigger-based) and a lot of features.
That project, however was canceled and I made some other maps for a year or so.

Now, I have begun developing the Ways of Destiny map again, made a few other maps, and a lot of spells and custom units. Now all I have left to learn is JASS.

Maybe, sometime in the future...

That was that. What about your stories?

MagnaGuard

Reaction score
I had used editors of Age of Mythology, the Age of Empires series, and more. So an editor for my new favorite game i thought would be really great!
I checked the program folder and opened the editor.

You played/play Age of Mythology? I tried that before warcraft too. That kinda discouraged me because it was soo much harder to do stuff in that editor.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
[Parental advisory: explicit lyrics]

Rather fancy those "stories".
My first encounter of the third kind with WC3's World Editor was rather quick and dirty.

Open the editor,
quick look around.

"What the ... do they really have to pull this shit every single time they release a game with editor?"
Closed and never opened again until, finally, The Frozen Throne got us the Real Deal(tm).

Randor244

Reaction score
Yeah.

Age of Mythology is a fun game, but the editor really sucks.

First of all, it is ugly.

Second, it is not easy to use, it could be much easier.

Third, and the most important, it has looaads of bugs. Everywhere.

If you plan to use the AoM editor, at least use the expansion The Titans, where the triggers at least is in alphabetic order!

By the way, another editor I was disappointed by was the Armies of Exigo one. Because AoX is very like Warcraft
In fact I actually don't think that but a lot of people say that. Armies of Exigo is very fun in its own way (The Fallen, mohawhawhaw!) but Warcraft is so different that you could not compare these two.
i hoped its editor should be just as good. It wasn't - especially the camera controls sucks.

No, the Warcraft III World Editor is forever the greatest one.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
I made a few crappy (but balanced!) melee maps at the beginning... not like you could do much more with the RoC Editor lol.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
My story

me and 2 of my previus friends wanted to make a Football TD, so we stole a pokemon maul and opened it and edited the names of the spawning units (at that time we didn't even know there was triggers) and made some new towers, we worked like 4 hours in a row, and then we decided to test out map, something screwed up with spawning, and we game up.

Randor244

Reaction score
hmm...

Am I the only one who actually had to discover the WE and start from scratch?

If so, it is propably because I recently got internet and didn't have it before...

MagnaGuard

Reaction score
I did but quickly gave up and came to the forums for my ansers. Anyway I find it funny that no one has started in Warcraft 2

Randor244

Reaction score
Well, I...
I've never even played the game. Warcraft was introduced to me with the third game. However, thanks to a helpful librarian I've been introduced to it.

I like WC3 the most though.

FhelZone

Reaction score
The previous Warcrafts were not as popular as now, Warcraft III was supposed to decay to the public, but DotA saved it, aand at that time more and more map makers popped out, thats where I started making maps too xD

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember my story.
I think I'm nearly the only one who actually learned the basics by myself, and didn't get much inspiration from other maps.

I played the TFT campaign and i thought "Wow... Ships rock!"
So I thought maybe i could make a ship map (I found WE before, but didnt open it). I opened world editor, found new map. And did some terrain.
And... Eventually i found everything.
I even made a trigger the first time i used WE :D

A unit owned by Neutral Hostile Dies
Wait 120 seconds
Create a shipstriker (name of the only Neutral hostile building) at position of triggering unit.

It leaked and everything. The custom units were just edits of the barracks and orc tower and stuff.

FhelZone

Reaction score
Thats IMO now lets not get talking DotA here and get off topic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.