Sci/Tech US studying Australian Internet security program

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
The government is reviewing an Australian program that will allow Internet service providers to alert customers if their computers are taken over by hackers and could limit online access if people don't fix the problem.

Obama administration officials have met with industry leaders and experts to find ways to increase online safety while trying to balance securing the Internet and guarding people's privacy and civil liberties.

Experts and U.S. officials are interested in portions of the plan, set to go into effect in Australia in December. But any move toward Internet regulation or monitoring by the U.S. government or industry could trigger fierce opposition from the public.

The discussions come as private, corporate and government computers across the U.S. are increasingly being taken over and exploited by hackers and other computer criminals.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Still, it's kinda fucked up idea!

and

They may even be willing to pay a small price each month for the service — much like telephone customers used to pay a minimal monthly charge to cover repairs.
Sounds like a strategy for them to start taxing the internet. And Moar $$$$$

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I just don't think this is necessary.

It really is easy enough to avoid most viruses with free programs.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I just don't think this is necessary.

It really is easy enough to avoid most viruses with free programs.

then botnets wouldn't exist, don't you agree? yet they do, so clearly something is necessary - perhaps its not in the free programs, but something is clearly lacking - an example would be the amount of users still using internet explorer 6

and I really hope they also look into the price/performance of the internet in Australia as well, and then compare that to the current U.S. internet

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
My ISP already does this... my sister's laptop was hijacked a while back and they just shut off our internet and said to fix the problem about malicious content being up/downloaded so I formatted her comp and it was fine.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
set to go into effect in Australia in December
What? O-o
... I second this. Why is the only way us Aussies hear about this through US news..?
I'm glad my ISP is run by family. :thup:

Actually, what is this gonna cover..? What makes malware malware? :(

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
To bad many of the solutions for fixing the problem can be found online!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.