General 13-Year-Old Climbs Mt. Everest

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
BEIJING -- A 13-year-old American boy became the youngest climber to reach the top of Mount Everest on Saturday, breaking the record as part of his quest to climb the highest peaks on all seven continents.

A spokesman for Jordan Romero said the boy's team called him by satellite phone from the summit of the world's highest mountain, 29,035 feet above sea level.

"Their dreams have now come true. Everyone sounded unbelievably happy," a new statement on Romero's blog said Saturday morning.

The teenager with long curly hair -- who climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa when he was 10 years old -- has said he was inspired by a painting in his school hallway of the seven continents' highest summits.

"Every step I take is finally toward the biggest goal of my life, to stand on top of the world," Romero said in an earlier post on his blog.

The record for the youngest climber to scale Everest had been held by Temba Tsheri of Nepal, who reached the peak at age 16.

"I'm just very proud of him," Romero's mother told The Associated Press by telephone just before he reached the peak, as she watched his progress online on a live GPS tracker.

When asked what she would say to him once he reached the summit, she started crying: "I can't really say that. It's just emotional."

Romero, from Big Bear, Calif., was climbing Everest with his father, his father's girlfriend and three Sherpa guides. He left for the peak from the base camp on the Chinese side.

Everest was Jordan Romero's first challenge above 26,240 feet.

Off-Topic:
Great, more feats from small kids to make me feel weak :(

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
First Jessica Watson sails solo around the world and then Jordan Romero climbs Mt Everest, great.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Good for him, I guess. But, why the hell his parents put his life at risk.. Just like that. :nuts:

lol @SineCosine

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
His parents are insane for letting him do something like that.

FireCat

Reaction score
If the Kid would die, It would be a tragedy and
that would be waste of life because of something stupid.
and why so hurry ? seriously @sqrage

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
One's a grown adult and one is probably undergoing puberty whilst not being a fully developed/grown human.

Other than that I can see your point.

Yea I mean if he was climbing a smaller mountain everyone would be alright with it. But there's really not that much of a difference as far as risk factor. You can die from falling off pretty much any substantial mountain the only difference here is that you need more stamina and it's harder to breathe at those altitudes. But if I was his parents, I'd say go for it as well. I mean you can die just doing nothing at home, if he does die at least it was in an attempt to accomplish a big goal of his.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
wow I'm so freaking tired of hearing things like this. At 10 years old, you don't have a freaking "DREAM" or "GOALS" you just want chocolate milk.

this isn't a testimate to his "vision" but to his PARENT'S dream.

but that being said, strong kid for going through with it and actually MAKING it to the top of this one at 13.

ethically I think that his parents are disgusting, though.

SineCosine

Reaction score
Jordan Romero has the look of someone that could do it.
Take a look:

jordanwebcover1.jpg

oorosco

Reaction score
I wish i was pushed to such extremes as a child... i did do a lot of cool things and accomplish cool feats but nothing that compared to this, i just wish i would've had the chance to do something like this. I don't see what the fuss is all about, if a child wants something and parents are open to such things, then why the hell not, i would let my child do this if i had one and he/she wanted to.

FireCat

Reaction score
Well. next child who want try that and something terrible happens.
I'm pretty sure it gonna be forbidden for young age to climbing any mountain.

everest.gif

SineCosine

Reaction score
The weather was horrible, I am never gonna' try it again!
Seriously, no McDonald's at 8,848 metres?

What, is it too high up to have a burger?
People these days.

What ever happened to dedicated service?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.