What is the best way to deal with mass of hydralisks as terran

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
mass battle cruisers and siege tanks and marauders

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
siege tanks / a nuke would work wonders, actually even mass marines would probably work if you upgraded them and had some dropships to heal em

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
1 Battle Cruiser for every 4 Hydralisks. Perhaps an even greater ratio.

Battle Cruisers are impossible to kill...

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Mass Hydras!? MASS HYDRAS?! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAA!!

/end hysterical laughter.

If it's just pure hydra counter with 6 rax pumping out fully upgraded marines,Stim and watch the hydra mass melt.Because marines out damage hydras in the long run. If your feeling ballsy enough mix in some hellions and Reapers in there to speed things up.

A full metal push of 12+ seige tanks also works wonders.But anything less than 12 would fail epically.

Or mass banshees for luls if he doesn't have detectors. :p

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
/facepalm.

When someone does something like Mass hydra,You I repeat YOU DO NOT MASS STUFF THAT IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN HYDRAS!Sure watching 15+ BC's kill the crap out of the mass of hydralisks is fun but what happens when a couple of infestors arrive and Neural parasite several of your Battlecruisiers? Drum that maxim out of your head.

The Golden rule is usually.

"The Higher the tier the less percentage it will have in your army composition."

Even if you have 6 expos massing something like battlecruisers is a bad idea.Why? What if something goes wrong during the battle? What if your Opponent was gosu enough to lay seige to your expansions (all 6 of them at the same time no less)? Best case scenario? you loose your BC's.Worst case? You loose your BC's and the capacity to produce them giving your opponent a sure victory.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
When someone does something like Mass hydra,You I repeat YOU DO NOT MASS STUFF THAT IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN HYDRAS!Sure watching 15+ BC's kill the crap out of the mass of hydralisks is fun but what happens when a couple of infestors arrive and Neural parasite several of your Battlecruisiers? Drum that maxim out of your head.
No offense, but do you even play sc2? The biggest flaw with your theory is the fact that investors cannot neural parasite air anymore. :p

If it's just a miss-remembering, thats OK. But even still, you don't need to laugh in someones face when they ask for advice, and you don't need to presume you know all of the best counters. I know you're one of the best sc players here, but don't let it get to your head. :D

Anyways, thanks for the advice! :) I was never sure what to get against mass hyrdras either (Although I've never really fought against it much). I'm not really a Terran player, though.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Well mentioning "Infestors Neaural parasiting BC's" is a great example of one of the many things that can go wrong within the game.

I may not be able to play SC2 but I get to watch my friends play it. And trust me they will own you so bad.

Arkless

Reaction score
Well mentioning "Infestors Neaural parasiting BC's" is a great example of one of the many things that can go wrong within the game.

I may not be able to play SC2 but I get to watch my friends play it. And trust me they will own you so bad.

which has nothing todo with your shitty attitude and your obvious fail o_O

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
I....will let this pass. For now....

@Daskunk:Compared to the other people who played BW (seriously,None of that "fastest possible" crap) I'm actually nicer than the rest of them.

@Arkless:Yes i acknowledge the fact that i have forgotten about that detail.However That particular detail still serves as a vivid example of what might go wrong should you mass something silly like battlecruisers.If you haven't figured out by now Starcraft 2 like it's predecessor before it will revolve around ground battles using units like battlecruisers for support. (However there are some execptions such as BC/Tank in BW since back then the Yamato cannon had roughly the same range of the old siege tank.Which you could use to yamato snipe enemy tanks so that your tanks can move forward and lay down suppressing fire at the enemy's goliaths.)

In General:The Broodwar E-sports community is one of the most arrogant gaming communities that had the pleasure of gracing the earth of there presence.

And sorry about earlier. I just couldn't handle myself when people ask me something simple like "counter mass hydras."

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
I really wasn't questioning the fact that you and your friends are better then me at sc2. I was questioning wether it was really neccasry to keep boasting that fact. And you were correct about the marine counter, anyways. I was not trying to be agressive here.

@Daskunk:Compared to the other people who played BW (seriously,None of that "fastest possible" crap) I'm actually nicer than the rest of them.
Well, I wouldn't base my niceness off of BW players if I were you. Thats like saying you aren't as heartless when you kill as other criminals. :D

But your apology is more then enough for me, and unless someone still has trouble with hydras this conversation can end. :p

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Try Siege Tank and Hunter Seeker Missile. You need to catch them at choke points though. Cloaked Banshees + Vikings (to snipe the Overseers) might be nice too.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Marine groups are a Terran's Best friend. Unless the Zerg has Imba Mutalisk micro.

Usually to prevent harass people would place 2-3 Missile turrets in clumps near there mineral lines first before placing Missile turrets at key tech buildings such as your factory.Mutalisks are only there to harass your workers from mining and sometimes building your structures.

I've recently found out that Vikings are a good counter to Mutalisks but I'm having my reservations on timing issues.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Marine vs Muta? Pfft. Please! I can micro ~12 mutas and harass the shit out of a Terran. Idc if you have 3 turrets in your base and a group of 30 marines. I harassed this Terran so bad, he left -_-'

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Marines ARE a good counter to Mutas. It's just that few people realize that for them to be a good counter they have to be microed well which means not just A-moving them towards the clump. And don't be too bent on killing the mutalisks. Usually just keeping them away from your workers and key structures is fine. Missile turrets + Marines used in conjunction will definitely make the Zerg pull out or at least reconsider his plan of harass.Mutalisks (in groups of 9+) are the Zerg's snipers and should be treated as such.Being to greedy with your harassment will backfire if you don't have enough APM to maintain your army in the first place.If you have 3 missile turrets spread out through out your base and 30 marines sure the zerg will be able to pick all of those off one by one.Let's see the Zerg pick off three turrets clumped together with 30 marines supporting them located behind the mineral line.In fact turrets scattered in groups of threes should deter a large mutalisk mass from sniping out key targets.Marines should be there to support the turrets when they are engaging the mutalisks.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
So I've played 5 games now and I find mutas to be crazy effective even under fire against enemy players. Even under fire from 2 thor's AA guns I still was able to harass a terran greatly by using thier slow MS and the muta's ability to move over cliffs freely to ping back and forth between mineral lines. :)

I don't think I really answered anything with that though I think it is a nice point to make, mutas are crazy.

NuQ

Reaction score
If they have a mass of mutalisks(12 or so) at the back of your base, you should have a mass of units capable of countering, or else you're doing something wrong.

in the event of an early harrass, a few missile turrets should be enough as far as static defense goes - but vikings are far more effective. they have a greater range than the mutas, so you can fire, retreat, fire, retreat as much as needed in order to stay the attack. if it's just a harrass you don't have to kill the mutas, just discourage them from attacking. the important thing to remember though, if you go for missile turrets: cluster them. don't space them out evenly. a group of 6 mutas(a typical number for an early harrass) will be able to take out a single missile turret and gain enough space to continue to harrass without retaliation. 2 or more turrets in a cluster should be enough to discourage early harrasment. i usually put 2 clusters of 2 or 3 turrets on either side of my command center if there is room to do so.

As for anyone who might say vikings don't make the timing push to counter an early mutalisk harrass: YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

BANANAMAN

Reaction score
Really? How early can you get Vikings out in comparison with the Mutas arriving?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.