Gaming Addicted Gamer Sues Game-Maker, Says He is ‘Unable to Function’

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A federal judge is allowing a negligence lawsuit to proceed against the publisher of the online virtual-world game Lineage II, amid allegations that a Hawaii man became so addicted he is “unable to function independently in usual daily activities such as getting up, getting dressed, bathing or communicating with family and friends.”

Craig Smallwood, the plaintiff, claims NCsoft of South Korea should pay unspecified monetary damages because of the addictive nature of the game. Smallwood claims to have played Lineage II for 20,000 hours between 2004 and 2009. Among other things, he alleges he would not have begun playing if he was aware “that he would become addicted to the game.”

Smallwood, who did not immediately respond for comment, alleged that the company “acted negligently in failing to warn or instruct or adequately warn or instruct plaintiff and other players of Lineage II of its dangerous and defective characteristics, and of the safe and proper method of using the game.”

Released in 2003 as a sequel to the original Lineage game, which was a national phenomenon in South Korea, Lineage II is an immersion 3-D MMORPG that gained a reported 600,000 users within a few years, and is still being regularly expanded and updated six years later — all the better to turn more vulnerable Americans into bleary-eyed shut-ins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He has nobody to blame besides himself. That's like a fat person suing McDonalds.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
He's lying, I can tell.
If he really was addicted, he wouldn't care to sue xD

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
He has nobody to blame besides himself. That's like a fat person suing McDonalds.

That has happened in the past actually.

But as for this guy sueing, it's not the games fault he can't 'function properly'. I will admit im an addict to gaming, but atleast I can still 'function'. If he knows he has a problem then he should just stop playing because once you know you have the problem it shouldn't be too hard to stop.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
I certainly hope the judge doesn't rule in his favour - would be a bit stupid for a company to pay for him being unable to control himself... I do wonder though, if he does succeed, will there be a flood of lawsuits against long-time drug and alcohol addicts claiming that the manufacturers hadn't given indication (in the past, at least) of the addictive nature of the substances :\

Is it just me, or do Americans love to sue others over the silliest things?

He's lying, I can tell.
If he really was addicted, he wouldn't care to sue xD

Why would he want to lie? Unless, of course, you feel that this is another of those crusades against video games, imagined up by the media, stating that they're the spawn of the devil, and destructive, and whatnot? :p

brb, gonna sacrifice livestock and then worship my evil god through my Xbox

Flare just basically negated the mans entire argument
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Flare... You're wrong! He used up all of his savings (that were intended for college) and bought the subscription. It's just now running out so he's taking the "sue for subscription money" route. Duh.... Epic fail man... epic fail....

images

Exfyre

hmm...
Reaction score
This is probably just a clever scheme by the creators of Lineage 2 to get subscribers.
"Oh mah gawd, dis mayne play dat shit fo 20,000 hours. dis junt mus be too good!"

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
This is probably just a clever scheme by the creators of Lineage 2 to get subscribers.
"Oh mah gawd, dis mayne play dat shit fo 20,000 hours. dis junt mus be too good!"

Ha! Conspiracy theories ftw

-20 000- hours?!
That's over 2 years of his life spent on a game. Better have been good lol

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
This guy is funny. It's common knowledge that everything is addicting with varying degrees of addictiveness.

SineCosine

I'm still looking for my Tangent
Reaction score
I am addicted to speaking my mind.
And I'm being investigated by the police for that.

No bull, that's the way it rolls =/

Catastrophic

Cool Member
Reaction score

Which has happened. And they won... And the lady who sued mcdonalds for burning herself with coffee because the cup didnt say hot on it. Even though she bought coffee... And she won to...

Aim gun, Shoot.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
“acted negligently in failing to warn or instruct or adequately warn or instruct plaintiff and other players of Lineage II of its dangerous and defective characteristics, and of the safe and proper method of using the game.”

Hmm, funny this, i play lineage 2 and after about 2-3 hours of consistent gameplay a notice pops up saying i should take a break it may damage my health. Go figure >.>

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
companies should expand their babying of us. floors should say "careful you could fall" on them... all food should be served with a little flag that says "eat slowly or you could choke". Televisions should turn off after 2 hours of constant usage... cars should only start after you press the "I aggree to the terms of use" button each time you intend to drive. Really we can't be trusted!

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
People in this country are dying from treatable cancers because insurance companies don't feel like paying, yet federal Judges allow cases like this to move forward.

Fuck this country.

I would love an opportunity to 'express my opinion' with this judge in person, and perhaps in an alley way.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Hmm, funny this, i play lineage 2 and after about 2-3 hours of consistent gameplay a notice pops up saying i should take a break it may damage my health. Go figure >.>

I would expect that this only happened after the lawsuit was filed, but I don't know since ive never played it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.