Board Game Contest

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
When we submit, are we allowed to show a final WIP? Or not?

You may if you want to, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to.

Hm, has a chessmap completely without custom models a chance against one with good custom models?

I would think so.

If one guy had nice models and the other guy had a strong Ai ,cleaner controls, and or better game options. Then ya. Models are a good part, But I only think there part of project.
Besides call yours battle chess, where they kill each other? might that do it for ya?

Rover answered this nicely i think. This is one of those questions you just have to ask yourself critically. Is this a modeling contest? certainly not. Does having models make your game look better? Well yeah.

You don't need them, but it can't hurt to have them.

I have a question regarding the grading:
Is the map graded on how much it appears like a boardgame (Like creating a nice atmosphere and the real board-game-feeling)?
or rather how much it matches with the original one?

Could you explain further? I am not entirely sure i understand what your asking.

Who ever made that nifty heading in the original post must have a massive penis.
Haha, thanks Jim, i owe you one for the epic banner. ;)

Are we allowed to use any outside resources like models done before this contest started that didn't come with warcraft?

You are allowed and encouraged, this isn't a modeling contest, this is a map making contest.

The prior work rule is to prevent people from taking an existing map they've been working on for months and submitting it. This would create an unfair advantage for the creator of such a map.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking about this judgment point:
Does it follow the board game faithfully?

if i make a map which is giving the real "board-game-feeling" and looks pretty like the original one and such but has different rules and a slightly different gameplay (though the basics stay the same) would it be graded less good as if i make an exact copy of the board game.

i just dislike copying other peoples work 1:1. i want to make it a little different, like a remake or contribution to the author of that game but not exactly the same.
of course, i would make it fun to play and of course everyone would still know what game i took the very first moment they see it (as long as they know the original game)

i dont want to read at the end of the contest:
"nice game, but it was not exactly like the original one and thatfor you get less points"
or something like that.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Well, lets see, if you made a chess game, same EVERYTHING, apart from queens can ALSO move like knights, then...

But suppose you just add some extra things like The option to play "Giveaway chess" (otherwise known as "Suicide chess"), then its probably fine.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
well, most probably i am not going to make a chess game but if you would have to think of it as if i would add new kinds of figures instead of pawns, or knights with different moves, something like that.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
well, most probably i am not going to make a chess game but if you would have to think of it as if i would add new kinds of figures instead of pawns, or knights with different moves, something like that.

Sounds great, but make sure your kings dont move like queens (that's my metaphor for "dont change it too much") or that will be shocking. :rolleyes:

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
I was thinking about this judgment point:

if i make a map which is giving the real "board-game-feeling" and looks pretty like the original one and such but has different rules and a slightly different gameplay (though the basics stay the same) would it be graded less good as if i make an exact copy of the board game.

i just dislike copying other peoples work 1:1. i want to make it a little different, like a remake or contribution to the author of that game but not exactly the same.
of course, i would make it fun to play and of course everyone would still know what game i took the very first moment they see it (as long as they know the original game)

i dont want to read at the end of the contest:
"nice game, but it was not exactly like the original one and thatfor you get less points"
or something like that.

Unfortunately accuracy to the original board game is the objective of this contest.

You can tweak minor things to make the game play out better in the event that the board game does not translate into warcraft well. But the further you deviate from the game the lower your ultimate score will be for that particular aspect of grading.

Sorry :eek:

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I think what you should do is make the game how it is from the board game. Then create another game mode, that way it will add to the game instead of force the player to play a different way.

Rushhour

Reaction score
Will you read up the original rules for each game or shall we make a detailed desciption?
I already got the basics in the quest menu, but not each and every detail. And I think people rarely read quest descriptions :D

And yep I think adding extra game modes isn't against the "accuracy objective", simply check with a trigger if he is currently testing your map ;D

And I included both versions: The (classic) Crazy Labyrinth and The Labyrinth of Masters. Both have a similiar gameplay, only the way you collect the treasures is different.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
@Rushhour
WastedSavior said:
i will be googling any of the entries that i have not personally played, and get a good understanding of how they are played before i begin judging. So don't be afraid to pick an uncommon game, you will not get marked down for a game that is not as popular as monopoly or risk.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i am but i havent got alot of time. i think i will get started in march or april.

Komaqtion

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
This contest is due April 1st, so beginning in March or April might be tight :p

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
then maybe i will fail, however i havent got the time to start in february.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Aw, i'm offline at thehelper for so many days, my computer power supply just got dead ^_^. I think i will lost my board game map lol.

Offline for now, bye bye thehelper for days, or months maybe...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.