Votes: 56 57.1%
  • A little bit

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Not at all

Votes: 16 16.3%

• Total voters

Light Alkmst

Reaction score
Scientists have calculated using Physics, Statistics, and Astronomy that there is an approximately 99.5% chance that aliens exist. It is based upon the materials and conditions required to produce life, the rarity of it, and the estimated size of our universe. It also says that it is also that much probable that we will never recieve or contact any of them ever, because of the relativistic distance between us and them, same as how we would never be able to reach our closest star, next to the sun, which is 4 light-years away.

Extremedesyr

Reaction score
I completely doubt that over the span of the entire universe that Earth is the only planet in which life can exist.

Yes.

Deny it and ur stupid, but they arent littl green peeps. maybe they are just little red peeps, ever tought about that? Hmm? maybe that if the other planet had exactly the same evolution as our planet (Magma, atmosphere, big bang all that stuff) They might look Xactly the same as us. and there are planets with an atmosphere like the blue moon that must have life cause else there wouldnt be an atmosphere

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
Well, its not as easy as "there are a lot of other planets, so there's probably another one with life". That the Earth is the only one of the 9 planets around the sun with life on it, doesn't mean 1 out of the 9 planets around stars has life.

Earth has been through a huge serie of events that all had a microscopic chance of turning out the right way to shape Earth as it is right now. For an example, there is only a very tiny circle around the sun in which a planet can develop life, and Earth happened to be exactly in it. Another example is the collision with Gaia, a fortunate happening which increased Earths mass so greatly it allowed our beloved rocky ball to generate a force of gravity strong enough to hold an atmosphere, which is ofcourse required to maintain life. Not only that, but the remains of the crushed Gaia happened to stick togather and form a new ball: the moon. The Moon too, ofcourse, is keeping us alive.

As you see, the chance that living creatures appear is really, really small. Earth is one lucky bastard. Dont get me wrong though, I still believe in life on other planets. I certainly dont think we're the only ones, there have to be more "things" out there. I just dont think its as easy as having a planet close to a star. There might just be less life than we're hoping for.

konerboy

Run piggy Run!
Reaction score
this might be offtopic, but since someone started talking universe, i was wondering what shape does the universe have? :confused:

edit:

alien report from brazil 1957

In 1957, Antonio Villas Boas, a Brazilian farmer, reported that he was abducted by barking
aliens who covered him in gel and mated with him.

immediately afterwards he suffered from radiation sickness.

Cheesy

some fucker
Reaction score
You do realize that there have been thousands of alien abduction reports from idiots right?

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
As I've already queted many times,

"To doubt if there is life in other galaxies, is like for a frog that lives in a pond to doubt if there is life in another pond."

This is actually an argument against being sure about alien life. Why?

The frog has never been in the other pond. He is fully right to doubt it, even though the circumstances in the other pond are known to be comparable to his own.

And even now I skipped a few assumptions.

nabbig2

Reaction score
I don't mean to offend people who believe in aliens, but...this is the logic for alien existence, since there is no proof.

There are (native) monkeys in South America and Africa. Therefore, there should be monkeys in Australia.

Unfortunately, there are no native monkeys in Australia. That simple. I know the universe is so infinite, and I know that the thought of alien life is exhillirating, but.....eh.

(By the way, has anyone seen the Discovery Channel documentary, Alien Planet? I think it was pretty cool.)

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
this might be offtopic, but since someone started talking universe, i was wondering what shape does the universe have? :confused:

I've always pictured it round.:confused: The universe started when a ball of matter exploded, according to the theory. And, well, ehm....balls and explosions are round, I guess.:nuts:

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I believe that the universe is infinite and that we are the only sentient life in it. :)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I've always pictured it round.:confused: The universe started when a ball of matter exploded, according to the theory. And, well, ehm....balls and explosions are round, I guess.:nuts:

Bumbly round?

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I think it has no shape. While taking it as infinite, you cannot define the shape of an infinite conglomerate of matter.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Maybe it keeps growing out in all directions, :D I mean technically that is what infinity is...

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
The universe is not infinite, right? It is continously expanding, but stops somewhere.....into nothing.:confused:

Faust

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Universe is not infinite, it is expanding indeed. But when it reaches some critical point, the thing reserves, and we become smaller and smaller. ^^

Aliens, of course exist. Somewhere.

But what makes an alien an alien?
Because of the almost-infinity of the universe, we have no idea what is behind the next solar system. There might a lifeform that is not even based on any elements we know. It could be a radiation with intelligent patterns, whatever.

Watch some star trek, they present various extremely interesting ideas. :)

And all these saucer reports are hoax.
Do you think a species capable of interstellar travel must get that close to take some pictures? Even our satellites can take high quality photos of great distances.
Not to mention they could probably blast the planet into pieces in a blink of an eye. Not even painful, hehe.

A shape of the universe? Picture a ball (in geometry) for example. Now take away the superficies. There you go :p

hunterrravyn

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
The Drake Equation:
N=R* x fp x ne x fl x fi x fc x L where:
N= The Number of communicating civilizations in the Milky Way Galaxy
R*=The rate of formation of 'suitable' stars
fp= The fraction of those stars with planets
ne= The number of Earth like planets per planetary system
fl= The fraction of those planets with intelligent life evolves
fi= The fraction of those planets with life where intelligent life evolves
fc= The fraction of planets where technological civilizations develop
L= The lifetime of communicating civilizations

The current estimate is 10,000 -- Just in Milky Way
look at this as well

Reaction score
The original estimate of Drake's equation was something like 10. The popular estimates are now along the lines of 1 - 2. Since there is no way of even being remotely certain of what Fl, Fi, Fc and L might be, there is no way of even being remotely certain of what N might be. Any answer derived from Drake's equation is pure speculation.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
But when it reaches some critical point, the thing reserves, and we become smaller and smaller. ^^
Don't go Big Crunch on me, it won't happen. The universe is most likely flat by the way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.