Image making & Exporting
Unit Respawning
Gameplay Tips

Part two will be:

Quests
Proffesions
Abilty Buying & Adding
More Gameplay Tips
Model Making & Exporting(For the skillful!)

Part three will be:

UV Texturing & Unwrapping
HUD Editing
RPG FAQ
Saving & Loading

Before we start, let's say i know all these by knowladge and i know EVERYTHING about alpha channels, and i used almost every tool used to make gmax models.

Hero Selection

Difficulty: Quite easy (3/10)

This is going to make a hero selection room, where when something goes over a hero it creates that hero for the triggering player.

Okay, first thing open up the trigger editor, then create a new catagory named 'Hero Selection'.

Alright, now create a trigger named 'Arthas'(Or whatever unit your going to make for it.)

Now we are going to go back to the normal editor and in the toolbox goto 'Region Pallete' and create a box where you want your hero to spawn, then rename it 'Arthas(Or the name of the hero) and one where you want a unit to go to in order to select that hero. Name this region 'Spawn'

Now we are going to go back to the Trigger Editor and create an event. This event is going to be " Unit - A unit enters (Region name) <gen>" (Replace 'Region Name' with the name of the region.)

Now, we create a action, the action is going to be 'Unit - Create unit facing angle'

Trigger:
  • Unit - Create 1 (Put hero here) for (Owner of (Entering unit)) at (Spawn &lt;gen&gt;) facing Default building facing degrees

And yes, that's the trigger, replace '(Put hero here)' with the name of the hero, and 'Spawn' with the region name of your spawn point.

Trigger:
  • PS: Trigger - Turn off (This Trigger)

The non-leakage way:

Make a custom unit based on the tavern, then add a few units with no attack, THEN set lumber to ten, and make heroes cost ten lumber.

It's the best and most simple way, less time consuming.

Finished! :thup:

Changing Gameplay Constants

Difficulty: 999999999/10 (Godlike)

Actual Difficulty: 2/10

You need The Frozen Throne expansion to do this.

Goto Advanced>Gameplay constants...

There we go, in here you can change:
Experiance gaining..
Max level
Max Gold
Dmg, Hp, Int, Armor, Movement speed ect gain from stats
And a WHOLE lot more.

Finished, that was hard wasn't it?

Image Making & Importing

Difficulty: 4/10 (Easier than you think)

What you need: An image program that has .tga extensions (e.g: GIMP)

Alrite, make a image, make sure you add the frame (optional) and a extra grayed out version for abilities and upgrades.

Import them by selecting them from the Import Manager (F12, TFT Required) and then press CTRL+I and select the .tga/.blp file you want to import. And ta-da!

Note: If your making it a .blp, add in alpha channels. DO NOT add alpha channels with .tga or the game will crash. Different image editors have diffrent ways of doing this, consult your image editor's manual.

Respawning

Difficulty: 5/10 (Not too hard)

Trigger:
  • Respawn001
    • <b> Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
      • Conditions
        • ((Triggering unit) belongs to an enemy of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True
      • Actions
        • Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type of (Dying unit)) for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Spawn003 &lt;gen&gt;) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))</b>

I think you get the idea, and ta-da! PS: There's an alternate, non-leaky way, where you can edit the ability 'resurection' and delete the effect and add set cooldown to 0, while time it takes to revive to 40-50-60

Gameplay Tips

Make it roamable!
Although the path to bosses and such should be obvious, leave some open spaces in trees for players to roam and kill monsters at for some player freedom.

Make reviving time short!

People waiting impatiently while there city is blown to pieces isn't a good RPG. I recommend 20-30 seconds, no matter what level.

Make experience gain small!

I recommend 60-70% experience gain at the most.

And that's the end! Have fun!

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Before we start, let's say i know all these by knowladge and i know EVERYTHING about alpha channels, GUI, and i used almost every tool in the editor and i have every tool to make, convert, and view models and images that are .tga, .blp or others.
You may want to take part of that out, namely the part about knowing everything about GUI.

Now we are going to go back to the normal editor and in the toolbox goto 'Region Pallete' and create a box where you want your hero to spawn, then rename it 'Arthas(Or the name of the hero) and one where you want a unit to go to in order to select that hero. Name this region 'Spawn'
Why not show how to get the X/Y/Z and place it there?

" Unit - A unit enters (Region name) <gen>" (Replace 'Region Name' with the name of the region.)
'Unit - Create unit facing angle'
You should use WC3 tags. Also, add in to pan the camera to the new hero.

And yes, that's the trigger, replace '(Put hero here)' with the name of the hero, and 'Spawn' with the region name of your spawn point.
Why not just edit the text instead of telling you to replace it?

Oh, you`re triggers leak.

All I saw at a glance.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This tutorial doesn't need to be split into three parts, if the parts are going to be this short.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Hero Selection

Give other alternatives to hero selection, perhaps taverns.
Not all map makers think that selection areas is the best way
to go.

Max level & Experience changing

There are many fields and factors in the gameplay constants
if you now have the 'knowladge' of all tools you're explaining
then take the time to explain them a bit more in-depth.

Image making & Exporting

What the hell, what does this have to do with RPGs or
anything for that matter.

Unit Respawning

This respawner instantly spawns upon kills, standing on the spawnpoint will
spam mobs on you. It requires multiple predefined spawnpoints.
Post pro's and cons with diffrent spawning systems.

Gameplay Tips

Make experience gain small!
I recommend 60-70% experience gain at the most.

What you mean by this is beyond everyone.

Bad, just, Bad

//==GooS

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
HydraRancher's Brand New Tutorial Reviews!
Anyway, lets get straight to the point.
Pros n Cons.
Pros -
[O] Nice "Contents" at the beggining.
[O] Handy, I see many threads in the WEHZ forum asking about these topics

Cons -
[X] Since there is so little text, such a huge size isnt very reasonable.
[X] Run your tutorial through spell checker, even if it only fixes one mistake, its still important
[X] As stated previously, leaks.
[X] So you know everything about the WE? Hashtables? Custom Scripts? Leaks? Cameras? Cinematics? Advanced Terraining? Can you create a model apply a texture to it and perfect animations (I cant myself)? EVERYTHING?
[X]
Your Tutorial said:
Alrite, make a image, make sure you add the frame (optional) and a extra grayed out version for abilities and upgrades.
You do realise, a "begginer" will say waaat? What's GIMP? Where do i get it from? How do I made a grayed out version? More information please.

Neutral -
[-] I hate Comic Sans MS now. (This doesnt affect your score, just pointing it out :rolleyes:)
[-] Laid-back attitude, as you might know from previewing my tutorials before they ran through some "Proffesional" edits, joking around isnt too appealing, of course it adds flavour, but dont over do it.
Your Tutorial said:
Difficulty: 999999999/10 (Godlike)
:rolleyes:
[-] If you are going to split a tutorial into 3, its best to make all 3, then post them in a chain, rather than what you have done here.

Overall Score:
4/10

Comments:

Improve the majority of what I have said and I'll bump it up to a 7, 8 or 9.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you turn off the trigger? There may be more than one player in a map.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Make a custom unit based on the tavern, then add a few units with no attack, THEN set lumber to ten, and make heroes cost ten lumber.

...What?

Do you even know what a leak is? Apparently not. This is a leakless replacement trigger.

Trigger:
  • Leakless
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Sells a unit
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) Equal to Footman
          • (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) Equal to Knight
    • Actions
      • Set Temp_Location = (Player 1 (Red) start location)
      • Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) for (Owner of (Buying unit)) at Temp_Location facing Default building facing degrees
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Location)

Code:
Leakless
    Events
        Unit - A unit Sells a unit
    Conditions
        Or - Any (Conditions) are true
            Conditions
                (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) Equal to Footman
                (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) Equal to Knight
    Actions
        Set Temp_Location = (Player 1 (Red) start location)
        Unit - Create 1 (Unit-type of (Sold unit)) for (Owner of (Buying unit)) at Temp_Location facing Default building facing degrees
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation(udg_Temp_Location)

Also, people would probably like to learn more about Hero Taverns than region selection. If this is going to be a complete tutorial, you should at least have a part for taverns, regions, unit, and key methods.

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm sorry, i couldn't help but point a few things (probably restated :( )
but...yeah... you cant be godlike with this editor >.> that is simply impossible.
...the people who made this, sometimes fairly obviously, are nowhere close, how can you expect to be? :/

and why are preplaced rects a bad thing? o_O if they are, i think your the only person in the world who doesnt use them :eek:

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sorry, i couldn't help but point a few things (probably restated :( )
but...yeah... you cant be godlike with this editor >.> that is simply impossible.
...the people who made this, sometimes fairly obviously, are nowhere close, how can you expect to be? :/

and why are preplaced rects a bad thing? o_O if they are, i think your the only person in the world who doesnt use them :eek:

No, I don't use them, I don't think others do...

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Just a comment on the spawn system, if you dont want to pre place the mobs in the map (which is the best choice to reduce long time loading and too much lagging) you need to have a counter of the player units whithin a certain region. Everytime a player unit enters a region add 1 to an integer variable then when a player unit leaves deduct it by 1, have an if and then else which will check if the number of player units within the region is equal to 0. if it goes 0 run a trigger that will clean up all uneeded mobs in an area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.