Interview! What questions?! THEHELPER EXCLUSIVE :D

Seannny

Why GUI when you can Jass?
Reaction score
I happen to have scored an interview with someone( I cant say who, he/she has requested I not) who has played early versions of starcraft due to his/her employment at Blizzard. He/she as also completely played through WoW:Cataclysm(whats done, that is) because that's the department he/she's currently in.

Basically my friend is good friends with him/her, known him/her for 3 years, He gets free WoW shit from him/her all the time, etc. Believe me or not, its legit.

I dont know what to ask him/her though, The interview is supposed to be this weekend, but we have not decided what day yet, its basically when he/she gets enough free time.

So what do i ask? He/she's open to any questions, from Starcraft 2 to Diablo 3 to WoW Cataclsym, However id rather focus mainly on SC2... Specifically the editor, seeing as I am extremely interested in continuing my warcraft maps to Starcraft. So start listing questions that you want answered, Ill pick the best ones out of the mix, and then update the thread after the interview.

Once again, I am not giving out his/her name, or his/her position due to his/her request... Who knows, in case he/she spills things he/she shouldn't, or just because he/she doesn't wanna be contacted.
He/she has every right to not answer a question, so don't get angry if he/she doesn't answer yours....

Shoot me some ideas guys :) Oh. And this is ONLY for you here at TheHelper, because ive been here for so long, and support you way over any other site.

Question List:

- Libraries and global declaration blocks were some of the greatest, and most essential features of JASSHelper, will these be similar to what is used in Galaxy? Will it use something completely different?

-Will it be possible to create entire custom atmospheres. Such as making the map feel like something completely different. Such as making a map have the "warcraft" feel instead of the space feel.

-Will most of the names of functions that exist in World Editor today be changed in Galaxy Editor?

-Will we see any aspects of Object Oriented Programming in the Editor?

- Will maps be attached to replay files?
If no: Will you still need to have the map path correct to view the replay

- What will the map size limit be?

- What control is there over unit texture. Will I be able to make marines with 000, 000, 000 guns and still have the rest of the body looking normal, will I also be able to play around with the alpha of units in the object editor?

- Are there some natives for changing stuff like: units max health, or some specific abilitys cooldown or manacost for some unit.

- I would like to ask if they will have a syntax highlighter in the editor?

Update: We have arranged for an interview this Sunday, But its subject to change. I Don't have class and he/she doesn't have work Monday either so if Not Sunday then for sure Monday.

UPDATE 2! Well! We had a few questions going for the interview, and Then my power went out, and By the time the power company got it back, An hour later, He had to go do something D:...
BUT heres a few questions to hold you over :)
Check a few posts down

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
- Can you get me into BETA?
:rolleyes:

Hmm, I don't really have many ideas that haven't been asked in the forums already, but I'm sure others will have a few.

One I have off the top of my head is
- Will it be possible to create entire custom atmospheres. Such as making the map feel like something completely different. Such as making a map have the "warcraft" feel instead of the space feel.

^ Not sure if it's been answered in the past, but I think it's a good question. :D

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
1. Some code snippets on Galaxy please.
2. Any model editors included in SC Editor?
3. Any map protectors included in the editor? Or is that feature exclusive to premium maps only?

Extra: Who is David Kim? Why is he so godly?

Seannny

Reaction score
Probably should reserve a post for the Q/A actually... oh well, 2 posts down isnt bad

Q: Hey there, Awesome to meet you, and im real happy you were able to do this with me. Its tough to get information now, blizzard seems to be holding things from Us, in regards to Starcraft

A: Hey, yeah, Not much information is being released because its getting real close to something. I don't hear everything because im not over there on their team. But its definitely getting close to AT LEAST beta. *laughs*

Q: Well that's pretty good news! So, just a few background questions, and then would it be cool if i asked a few things about the games?

A: Yeah sure, Shoot away! I've got about an hour for yah'.

Q: Alright, So I know you cant give out to much personal information, But when did you start working for Blizzard?

A: Pretty short amount of time, actually. Ive only been around little over a year.

Q: Oh cool, freshly hired! So what do you think of the company?

A: As a whole? Blizzards a good company, they make quality products... I know people get angry because we are slow at some things... But its really worth the wait. I promise.

Q: That seems fair. Its hard to keep so many fans under control I guess, Where does your role come in with that? With Relations?

A: Well I cant go TOO far into detail here, But my department is in World of Warcraft, so Most of my clients are zombified and happy. *laughs*

Q: Hah, True that. Alright, mind if I ask a few things about starcraft? Thats what were all really excited about!

A: Of course! Shoot away!

Q: So I know lots of people modified the editor in Warcraft 3 to fit needs for making coding easier, Does the galaxy editor support libraries like this? or something like it?

A: I havn't messed with the editor as much as I would have liked too, However I do know that we do have quite a large function list set up for those who tackle the coding language over GUI. Whether or not it is a library that contains all of the natives or whether it contains just a few, im not sure.

Q: That's a good thing to hear. SO as far as syntax goes, For GUI or the new language, will most function names stay the same, Or will we need to re-learn the names and purposes of new functions.

A: Most of the names in the GUI have remained the same. A lot of them have the ability to do additional things, and there are quite a few new functions as well, But For the most Part, theres not much change in name. However expect the coding language portion to be a whole new battlefield.

Q: How detailed can we get with model control and Texture control over units? Changing their weapon colors or their head colors, etc?

A: I know you have a lot of control over the models. Switching weapons out is cake, Marine with a Sword? No problem. However I'm not so sure about colors.. if you mean changing the tints like in Warcraft, or even the visibility, Im not the right person to ask. Ill look more into that now though. Slightly transparent units would be cool. Im sure...

And I cut out right here... so.. TO BE CONTINUED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seannny

Reaction score
Just to get it out of the way Xienoph
2. No
3. Yes.

Those have been answered

However i want snippets too. And sqrage Thats a good question if your asking what i think your asking, can you clarify more?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He means if he'd be able to play the beta version of the game, I guess. :p
I'd like to ask the same question. :thup:

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Will there be many changes in function names and the API from Warcraft III in Starcraft II? For example, the function KillUnit may be likely to stay the same, but are there any huge differences in naming conventions?

Will there be any forms of object-oriented programming in Galaxy?

Libraries and global declaration blocks were some of the greatest, and most essential features of JASSHelper, will these be similar to what is used in Galaxy? Will it use something completely different?

How does Starcraft 2 run on the average computer, when compared with Warcraft III? Do the graphical improvements cause limitations, or have the engine improvements made up for a lot of this?

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
A few questions i might have :rolleyes:
Arn't blizzard employee's required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement?

Wouldn't this unofficial interview breach that contract?

Is it true that you will get fired for this?

Im such a killjoy :eek:

Seannny

Reaction score
A few questions i might have :rolleyes:
Arn't blizzard employee's required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement?

Wouldn't this unofficial interview breach that contract?

Is it true that you will get fired for this?

Im such a killjoy :eek:

Hence the Anonymous factor probably :p

However I do believe that they have the right to say quite a bit. The CM's and such for example don't necessarily need to run every question people ask on the forums by all of blizzard. A lot of things they have the right to say themselves.

Either way, Its more information about a game we want to know more about. :)

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have one burning question:

How far is the game actually along. Will this be out by 2010.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Will maps be attached to replay files?
If no: Will you still need to have the map path correct to view the replay?

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
What will the map size limit be?

(Has it been answered already?)

Seannny

Reaction score
Vaguely remember hearing 8mb somewhere, But I have no idea where, whether it was reliable, or even if its for SC2. Ill ask anyways :p

black.sheep

Reaction score
What control is there over unit texture. Will I be able to make marines with 000, 000, 000 guns and still have the rest of the body looking normal, will I also be able to play around with the alpha of units in the object editor?
Also what about attack types? Will they work the same, as in will we have 6 attack types and 6 defense types and they all have the same multipliers?

Oh and will the editor have some uber debugging test mode, where we can see all the triggers going on, and what each variable is assigned to? That would make life so much more easier.

KJS335

Reaction score
This is my main interest and also some others:

- Could you realistically expect the galaxy editor to be capable of creating a solid FPS/Third person view game

Viikuna

No Marlo no game.
Reaction score
I think I heard that its possible to build custom UIs or something.

Id like to know how this exactly works and is it possible to change UIs size and form and look and all stuff in game with some natives or something.

Also Id like to know how seriously they take this editor stuff and how much users can actually control thingies.

Are there some natives for changing stuff like: units max health, or some specific abilitys cooldown or manacost for some unit. ( This stuff is not possible in wc3 without some unnecessary big systems, that exist just because we didnt have these natives )

Also can we modify spell tooltips in game, so it displays there correct values? ( Or maybe incorrect if we wish to. )

Also have they developed some nice way to sync local player data? Can we for example get Player 2 camera position and reveal it to Player 1 with some little coding?

Cant think any more of these, but if you can really get some cool info about this stuff, it would be cool.

Thanks.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Current computer specifications which they use to test play Starcraft 2? CPU speed and Graphics Adapter, RAM info, if they is really into it then how much space takes installed Wings of Liberty on hard drive?

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
Will it be possible to save data in multiplayer games for E.G. save/loading in RPG maps, achievements in other maps and others?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.