Moving up in the rankings, is that really important in SC2?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I notice that people really are caring about their ranks, and not about the fun and stuffs.

If SC2 have a place where no one cares about your wins and losses, would you rather go there and play, than stay where you are and play with pros and get others mad because of you, the whole team loses and stuffs.

This is my experience, so I won't blame you for telling me to go practice more. But, because SC2 saves your statistics on Battle.net, people started to pay attention to their own statistics, some placing high expectations that hardly we newcomers can't comprehend.

I missed the old fun days where everyone plays nicely, whether you mean it or not, and no one hardly cares about your rankings and matches. I missed how a lot of you look forward to hanging out with players that are friendly and dislike competing.

If I were you, I would simply move away. Do you realize, moving up in the rankings isn't that important?

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
There were rankings in Warcraft 3, it's just so you play against similar skilled players.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a lot of experiences with Warcraft 3, they pit me against Rank 16 players together...and I was like, God! How am I suppose to kill this guy? I was only Rank 1.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
If I'm #1 my ePeen is bigger. >>
No. Going up the ranks gets you to the next league, which means playing against more skilled players whichs means you get better.
Also, get a dedicated 2's parter.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the shiny achievements and icons were the motivation to rank up. Where did this chivalry of having fun and getting better came from? :D
Exactly. Couldn't think of a better reason when it happened though.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
wc3 ladder levels mean next to nothing, it's more about # of games played and the win/loss ratio(stats command ftw) - stat decay and ladder resets caused that

anyways, I didn't notice much difference between gold and platinum since I wasn't above average in either, but for the others I could fool around and still win most of the time

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
wc3 ladder levels mean next to nothing, it's more about # of games played and the win/loss ratio(stats command ftw) - stat decay and ladder resets caused that

Why care about it so much, when you could just have fun? Isn't it obvious that we're carried away in our time trying to improve our statistics?

anyways, I didn't notice much difference between gold and platinum since I wasn't above average in either, but for the others I could fool around and still win most of the time

It's still beta anyway...:(

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Why care about it so much, when you could just have fun?

it's not fun if you don't play with people who are of a similar skill level.. except maybe crushing some people when your feeling down, but that's what custom games are for

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
If there weren't rankings, then people wouldn't take the game seriously and people would just go there to mess around, which is not what people want in a match.

I see where you're coming from, but be realistic. People wouldn't be nice regardless, it's just that way. I don't remember a time when people were nice, to be honest. And even if there was, people today are, unfortunately, not nice. People have been plagued by WoW and Xbox live. :(

I suggest getting a group of friends and just doing some custom matches with a regular melee map if you really wanted the style you're looking for.

Gah this post is so negative, sorry :p

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not negative. Seems to me, it's the truth. Oh well...I just don't like how it turns out for a person to play a match and then get angry for someone else on his team to lose.

SerraAvenger

Cuz I can
Reaction score
it's not fun if you don't play with people who are of a similar skill level.. except maybe crushing some people when your feeling down, but that's what custom games are for

I'm a total noob and got placed into platinum league because of winning 4 out of 5 of these placement matches.
Now I'm wondering how many games it will take me to get into a lower league^^

Prometheus

Reaction score
Just keep losing, and it'll drop you to gold. You got a long way to go...

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Imagine that there are 100 people in your class, and you and the class take a test that you've taken 5 times before.

Now you've ranked 91th out of 100. Would you care about your rank or how well you did on the test?

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Imagine that there are 100 people in your class, and you and the class take a test that you've taken 5 times before.

Now you've ranked 91th out of 100. Would you care about your rank or how well you did on the test?
It's not possible unless you learned what problems you got wrong and how to correct them before that 6th test.

Basically, if you're ranked 91st out of 100, it means you have beaten 90 students out of 100 on your first go. Either the problems that was asked is too easy, or it's you that's not smart enough to get right some of the problems on the test.

Which implies that you wouldn't care both of them, and only cared about finishing the test sooner, which none of them implies.

Frozenhelfir

set Gwypaas = Guhveepaws
Reaction score
I notice that people really are caring about their ranks, and not about the fun and stuffs.

If SC2 have a place where no one cares about your wins and losses, would you rather go there and play, than stay where you are and play with pros and get others mad because of you, the whole team loses and stuffs.

There is such a place, join the custom games. When you play in the league the general mindset is that you are in it to win it. If you're just going to mess around and not actually try to win, you are ruining your partner's game and your opponents game. It is generally not fun to steamroll your opponents when you are looking for competition.

I missed the old fun days where everyone plays nicely, whether you mean it or not, and no one hardly cares about your rankings and matches. I missed how a lot of you look forward to hanging out with players that are friendly and dislike competing.

I already touched on this a bit. If you are going into a league match to screw around and "not care" you are being disrespectful to the guy who is trying to win and get better. There are types of people who really like competition. These people will tend to play in the league and not in the custom matches. If you want to avoid them, play the customs because you get the exact same experience, but it is not ranked.

In the old days, there was still a lot of competition, maybe you found a group that wasn't competitive, and that is good for you.

If I were you, I would simply move away. Do you realize, moving up in the rankings isn't that important?

It matters to some people. Moving up is a way to tell that you are getting better. If I were you (and no this isn't mocking), I would stay away from ladder matches because you will most likely ruin someone else's game.

I just don't like how it turns out for a person to play a match and then get angry for someone else on his team to lose.

The anger is probably due to the fact that you are taking your mindset to the wrong place. I guess one of the better examples I could think of is taking the "backyard football with your friends" attitude into the NFL or visa versa. Your team would not be happy with you causing them to lose after hours of practice. The point of my post isn't that your mindset is wrong and my mindset is right, the point of the post is to take your mindset to the appropriate place and I'll take my mindset to the appropriate place. Then we can both be happy.

INCINERATE

Reaction score
i agree with frozen,

mr OP aka thread starter, take you nooby i play for fun and mess around / i dont care attitude and save it for custom games, you will find alot of people just like that there, then you will come here with another pointless statement, and say that thier isnt any point to playing custom games if all my allies just send their first 5 workers to opponents and loose them while typing LOLOLOLOLOLOL SCV RAPE when doing it.

if you dont want to play seriously , and say people around you are too serious .. then there is just two things for you to do, Uninstall sc2, or stick too custom games. When i play custom games you can bet i will mess around just like you, and mass 60 workers and throw them all at my enemys. if i play a ladder game, im in it to win it.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Probe Rushing is fun, except it stunts you hardcore. And you can't do it in a 1v1, and in a 2v2 you can't hit the second player.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.