Perfect Micro

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
I'm sure you've all seen some "inhuman" micro, like splitting Marines vs Banelings or other such improbable combinations and impossible outcomes.

Imagine you were a bot.... a real good one... with an APM "over 9000" (more like 15000 actually, but at that point it's really just details).

Got that image?

Good.

Because you could do something like:

[youtube]DXUOWXidcY0[/youtube]

Or, even more insane, this:

[youtube]IKVFZ28ybQs[/youtube]

Clearly, I need some more training :p

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
i could do that if i my mind was connected to the computer :D

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Over-the-top examples like those really show the benefit of incredible micro-ing.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't even know if the siege-tank one is micro or not.. the zerglings split before the shot was even fired, so how did the computer know which one the tank was targeting?

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Well, if this was a done by a human with godlike powers, it would be basically being able to tell in a millisecond these things:

"What angle is the siege tank at?"
"What units are in that angle?"

Then, insanely quickly splitting said units.

Now ofcourse, in this example, the bot just knows which unit is being targetted, because he only splits one, not more, if in that "line" there was more than one unit.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
They used a predictive method by getting the nearest units with the most units around it.

It's a pretty simple method actually.

Or at least that's what they said.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can do that. ;)

celerisk

Reaction score
It should be noted that this "bot" is NOT a third-party crack that somehow manages to interact with the game.
So, no, you won't suddenly start seeing it on ladder...

Presumably, it's "only" guessing at "what's the closest Zergling to a Tank that is looking for a target".
The entire thing is scripted through the, as it seems, extremely powerful, Map Editor.
Which doesn't make it any less amazing.

Yes, it's certainly impossible and over the top and no human ever... but I'd say the point is not to show what you can't do.

Instead, it shows what might come some day.
As in, there actually is a lot of potential for players to improve.
You can win improbable battles with sufficient micro (for some definition of "sufficient" :p).

So, get training!

It's also not exactly new.
Insane micro already existed back in the days of SC1.

Random example:

[youtube]NcjQhig88wE[/youtube]

> Romek has over 9000 APM

No, he doesn't.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Just as a refrance:

I was top 20 in europe (diamond league, now I am not cuz I was afk for 1 week and I have a lot of catching up to do.)

I have genuine APM, this means that I don't spam like a nolifer just to get it higher, I start from ~40 and go up to 170 I think.

My point is that my average apm is ~110.

An average game is arround 17-20 minutes. Let's get 20 just for easier math. 110x20= 2200.

So on an average, I, who am not by any means a bad player do 2.2K actions per game. That isn't even a quarter of the actions per minute you need to have in order to make this......

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Just as a refrance:

I was top 20 in europe (diamond league, now I am not cuz I was afk for 1 week and I have a lot of catching up to do.)

I have genuine APM, this means that I don't spam like a nolifer just to get it higher, I start from ~40 and go up to 170 I think.

My point is that my average apm is ~110.

An average game is arround 17-20 minutes. Let's get 20 just for easier math. 110x20= 2200.

So on an average, I, who am not by any means a bad player do 2.2K actions per game. That isn't even a quarter of the actions per minute you need to have in order to make this......

To clarify, he's talking about top 20 in diamond which is rank 17,000~ in europe.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
if u wanna get ballzy about the ranks I do have an acc in masters league ;] :D

EDIT: GOD it is hard to get my mechanics up and running again.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
so what this means is in future games, I expect the AI's to genuinely play better on harder difficulties, as opposed to just having more units/health/resources/etc.

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
The problem is it's hard to actually make a AI clever enough to utilize things like this. Especially if they're more dependend on the situation.

This fancy ling splitting, for example, could be done every time a Zerg AI meets tanks. But it's more like cheating since no normal player could do something like that and an AI is constructed to act like a normal player.

Things like the tank dropping (in smaller scale) is more like it. However to really use it cleverly the AI would have to keep a lot of variables in mind. It'd have to decide where to drop, it'd have to retreat if things like mutas or stimmed marines are there, it'd have to see whether there are units where this trick doesn't work (anti air, marauders, etc) or stop if there are units that could immobilize it (infestors). And probably more.
And that's not even the hardest challenge, because it still fits into the category of fancy micro. Actually making it do strategically clever moves and tactics is much harder.

Starcraft's race AI is written in Galaxy, which means it's considerably slower and more limited than AI usually is. Not the best ground for improvement, either ^^

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
The problem is it's hard to actually make a AI clever enough to utilize things like this. Especially if they're more dependend on the situation.

This fancy ling splitting, for example, could be done every time a Zerg AI meets tanks. But it's more like cheating since no normal player could do something like that and an AI is constructed to act like a normal player.

Things like the tank dropping (in smaller scale) is more like it. However to really use it cleverly the AI would have to keep a lot of variables in mind. It'd have to decide where to drop, it'd have to retreat if things like mutas or stimmed marines are there, it'd have to see whether there are units where this trick doesn't work (anti air, marauders, etc) or stop if there are units that could immobilize it (infestors). And probably more.
And that's not even the hardest challenge, because it still fits into the category of fancy micro. Actually making it do strategically clever moves and tactics is much harder.

Starcraft's race AI is written in Galaxy, which means it's considerably slower and more limited than AI usually is. Not the best ground for improvement, either ^^

I would go with the stim-packed marines attacking once then running vs slower meele units as something that can be implemented.. now

the zerglings tank-dodging could also be implemented.. now - i.e. make the units split before the attack hits in order to avoid splash

and the AI is made to act like a human? I would rather they have insane micro then 2x the minerals/units/etc.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What they do against siege tanks should work for all units with area of effect damage output in general. like hellions and such.

celerisk

Reaction score
Remember Automaton 2000 from back up in post #1?
Here's his new bestest friend, meet Ursadak:

The show-it-off video:

[video=youtube;mrbYd4OFrWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrbYd4OFrWE[/video]

The demonstration video:

[video=youtube;MbQLw4eNdZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQLw4eNdZo[/video]

Source: show, demo.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.