Project Orbitos

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey I would like to put something in If its a game you can lower the camera to a side view this would be a nice thing to see

It was on the Terrain Thread

my.php

Sun/Star Thingy Click Here

Notes on the Model from 2-P: Lordaeron Winter Sky (Red) + red fog + sun to make it like the picture

I

IKilledKEnny

Thanks Chovy and Master Maste for replaying I'll start working on that. I need to know however if you want the bases to move also up and down, or only like regular wisp wheel around the moon.

My question is should they go in vertical or in horizontal way? Also what are the bases? One building, few buildings or unseeable region?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Just so I can get this out becauses its been bugging me

Nothing to do with the map but yes

400ths POST :p :D

ok and did anyone like the sun idea :p

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Thanks Chovy and Master Maste for replaying I'll start working on that. I need to know however if you want the bases to move also up and down, or only like regular wisp wheel around the moon.

My question is should they go in vertical or in horizontal way? Also what are the bases? One building, few buildings or unseeable region?

Just orbiting the moon like a wisp wheel. The bases are units at the moment, but the principle can be applied to whatever we use in the end. These are the methods of orbiting we've tried:

We've tried Sin Cos with X & Y (thanks to Duwb :D) and it works. We've tried Polar Projection, and offset and both ways work. The problem we're getting with all of it is this...

When you use all of these methods and the distance from center is something like 4000, the steps of movement at the outer edge of the base/circle become noticable jagged and jerky. We need to find a new way of moving them around the center, so that the movement of the orbiting is smooth.

One method that we haven't tested yet is a "move unit forward to it's facing" method. As in, the unit is preplaced or created at a set distance from the center of the map/position of the moon. We'd need to find out the calculation/increment/time scale that would allow us to move all base units forward, whilst having their facing incrementally changed/rotated.

I'll send you a clean map soon.

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
lol Nice I hope you guys give me a job soon and I think if you bend your camera down low enough you can see space or the sun or something just ot get it that OOOO AWWW Effect lol (ignore my comments)

but yes seems this will be a fun project to work on MAN I wish I had a sign. so I put that cool Project orbitos picture in it

I

IKilledKEnny

Ok Chovynz just send the map and I'll start working on it, the easiet way should be using a wisp wheel with KaTTaNa's handle var but we could move it every 0.01 seconds (I think, I forgot already what is the minimum wait with timers) so in JASS it would be quicker then GUI, thus harder to see each step. Have you copied the system into the map yet?

If that won't work then will need to give to order the ship to move, however I see this as a last option becuase most likely there will be the same problem if not even worse, becuase the ship will take 'shortcuts'.

If you want to send the map, just send it in E-mail ( [email protected] ), or MSN if we will ever manage to be on at the same time. :p

chovynz

Reaction score
lol Nice I hope you guys give me a job soon and I think if you bend your camera down low enough you can see space or the sun or something just ot get it that OOOO AWWW Effect lol (ignore my comments)

but yes seems this will be a fun project to work on MAN I wish I had a sign. so I put that cool Project orbitos picture in it

Master wanted to keep this a surprise but you can already do that kinda of thing :D. Oh yeah...Master...we need to talk again :D I got some curveballs to throw to you. I'm going out tonight...no idea how long i'll be away. But we gotta talk soon. I'll be in touch.

master maste

Reaction score
I'm back. . .

I guess you could order the units to move to the next area and put pathing blockers only for air units (set the type of the buildings to air or what ever is not being used. .. ) and then they might do it, but I'm sure theres way better ways of moving bases in a circle.

waiting on msn to talk to chovynz or any of u other guys that have msn. Can you post or PM your msn addresses :)

I

IKilledKEnny

Alright, last the last thing I need to know before start working is whar should their speed be. Should they finish circling the moon in 1 minute? 3 second? half an hour?

master maste

Reaction score
Well, Mizuio-Ken are we even able to PM you yet, or are you going to give me your msn address? and we are starting to figure out what needs doing on Project Orbitos so you will all find out very very soon :)

chovynz

Reaction score
Ok!

Master and I have talked and we're opening up this project. We need help. We have things that need doing and we are getting to them but it's taking too long. There's only two of us, and we've learned heaps on this journey... but want to bring some more people in.

So as of this moment, there'll be no more secretisim, no more "want to surprise" the TH community. We welcome any comments, critisim, warnings, bribes, anything. If you think you have something that will help this project take off, or if you know of a "better" way of doing things, then please, let us know by PMing either of us or posting here.

Heirarchy of this project. I have final say. I am open to changes on anything if the changes do it better than how it already is. I'll listen to everyone.

Master Maste has been with me for ... well, since the begining. He knows the vision and has the drive to get Project Orbitos done. If I'm not available, talk to him. He know whats going on and what needs doing.

We've had some more people express interest in helping us lately (and previously.) These people are Mizuio-Ken, Ur-Quan, IKilledKEnny. Welcome to the team! We don't know what you're gonna be doing yet but we're trying to work it out.

@Mizuio-Ken: Since we can't contact you on PM or MSN yet, until we have your MSN, all contact with you will have to be through here. We're gonna need you to be on MSN if you can manage it. If you can't, then let us know and we'll just have to put up with communicating through this forum/thread.

@Ur-Quan: Don't worry, we'll find some stuff for you to do. There's plenty to share :)

@IKilledKEnny: I'll be giving you a map tonight. Over PM or MSN. It's just a basic map with the layout of the bases. What we need you to do is find out a way of getting the bases to orbit (where they are preplaced - give or take the number of grid for easy gui use - ask me further if you dont understand that). We don't care what method you use as long as the movement is smooth. It's up to you to find out what method works best.

I'll be posting some screen shots soon. I'll also be posting a list of things that need doing in detail, so that people viewing this can pick and choose to work on things as they see fit.

chovynz

Reaction score
List of things getting done, whos doing them and what needs doing. (This is so we know who's doing what and to minimise crossovers.)

Terrain = Chovynz
I'm taking care of the terrain. I'm doing this in a separate map. Because of the way it's being done, when we are all finished we'll have to import everything into one of the finished terrain maps. In the finished PO there will be lots of doodad stars. You can't copy and paste doodads and maintain their differing heights (done by ctrl +/-). Unless somone knows differently?

Shields = Master Maste
This is the way shields are supposed to work:
  • a player clicks on a shield ability
  • if any are on, old shields get turned off
  • the new shield comes on.
Because all abilities are based off channel we have to trigger everything. It's been causing us some difficulty with making 10+ toggleable shields, but Master thinks he's close to getting a breakthrough. If you think of better ways to do shields, let us know.

Base Movement = IKilledKEnny
Bases need to orbit smoothly around the center of the map. Center of map is where the moon is - nothing to do with the actual base positioning but just a comment. I reckon 10 mins to complete an orbit is a good time.

We have yet to see what IKilledKEnny comes up with, but we have every confidence in his skills. ;) At the moment we are using static bases (i.e. they dont move.)

Problem:
When we use the methods below, when the distance from center is 4000 or more, the increments of movement are very jagged and jerky. On smaller orbits this isn't noticable, but on these larger ones they are VERY noticable. We need to find a smooth way of orbiting.

Methods we have tried already:
  • Polar projection from center of map
  • Daelins orbiting script
  • Many other orbiting scripts that do the same things
  • Coordinates (using X, Y) and Cos Sin scripts

Weapons:
Projectile weps = Partially Done.
Most of these can be based off the same script. The only differences really, are damage, speed, model. Homing weps need to be based of a homing script (obviously.)
Weps implemented:
Bullet
Rocket
Ion
Homing

Weps not yet implemented:
Gatling Gun
Bullet Salvo
Rocket Salvo
Multibeam Ion

Long range = ?
Sniper Cannon
Magnetic Accelerator Cannon
Mass Driver
Particle Projection Cannon

Aoe weps = ?
Acid cloud
Much like the disease cloud that Abomination gives off. I only just realised how similar that is to what needs doing with the acid cloud. Sticks to you if you go through it. Can be neutralised by Damages Hull

Nuke
Yellow nuke that goes off! Maybe thinking of a partially transparent Nuke symbol-image that gets displayed around the area of explosion... as well as the model. Damages hull and mana and has a knockback feature.

Plasma clouds
Blue clouds that quickly eat away at your mana.

Radiation
Purple Clouds or <effect> that eat away at you hp.

Flashbangs
Blinds any one in the radius for 3 seconds. (Possibly using white fade filters).

ChronoGrip (time ability) = PSiblade9412
Slows everyone else down. I partially don't know how to make this one, but what im imagining is this:
You click this ability, everyone else gets effected for 7-10 seconds. Their animation, attack and movement speeds gets slowed to at least half. They get ghosted images of their ships/hero that follow them and repeat the last seconds movements. The closest things I can think of that are like this are: the movement of Lord Marshal in Chronicles of Riddick, & The Single Player Jedi speed ability in a few Star Wars games.

Mine weps = Ur-Quan

To be edited....

U

Ur-Quan

Come on give me something too.
Maybe some map system(I love working on triggers most).
Just as far as possible from dmn Object Editor.
I'm fobic to it, too much writing there.

chovynz

Reaction score
Come on give me something too.
Maybe some map system(I love working on triggers most).
Just as far as possible from dmn Object Editor.
I'm fobic to it, too much writing there.

Alright...We need you to trigger some mine weapons. Mines - Friend or Foe, Proximity, Homing, Stealth, Acid, Other.

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=weplistjn8.gif

Come up with some of those. Ask if you need more info or help. Research some of the terms first if you don't know what they mean. Btw the way, coloring is fairly important in this map. i.e acid = green, plasma = purple, ion = blue and so on. This part is over to you. Be creative :) I want to see what you come up with.

I

IKilledKEnny

Ok yesterday was a busy day for me and today is VERY busy. However tommorow I should have enough free time to finish off the system or at least do a nice progress in it.

I'm going to do a wisp wheel, however due to this huge distance we'll need 2 things inorder to make it look smooth. Little distance each time and very short wait time.

The shortest time we could use betwen function runs is 0.03, less would lags horribly, assuming as I'll use may groups and locations (which in further versions will be changed in coordiantes).

Also we need to make small angle changes somthing between 0.5 and 0.005 I'll need to test that... I didn't calculate yet if we could do it in 10 minutes, it might need to be more or less time (Remember that once we get the angle to 360 we it's a whole loop, I don't have the time to check how much time it would take to do it now, once I finish the trigger I will add comments so you could know how to edit the values.)

chovynz

Reaction score
@IKK: That's fine. Remember to keep in mind we've already tried some of what (it sounds like) you're doing there. I personally dont care what system we use as long as it works. You can also take your time if you want, because there is no rush to finish this particular system.

As long as we take care of memory leaks it shouldn't lag AFAIK.

When we tried it before it seemed like you couldn't use less than 1 degree angle changes. I don't know if it's possible, but certainly... try everything! We could've easily missed something.

I think I know Master well enough to say: we both appreciate you helping out here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.