[RESULTS POSTED] The Tower Contest - The 5th Iteration

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> Spawn 10 of that type of tower, make them all fight at once and see how much lagg there is.

Efficient coding should prevent this. So if the tower lags, I will grade it accordingly.

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
Only got a few days left and I have only done the basics on my towers (4 towers that work together). To give you a basic idea of what i'm doing, I have 4 towers (fire, ice, stone, and nature) that each have their own basic ability (I.E. ice has cold attack to slow what it hits) and when you connect all 4 types all enemys that enter the area between the towers will get blasted with abilities.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
The dummy is not losing it's locust status because otherwise you can't cast the spell on it ;). The tower lags because it's a lot of processing each 0.03 seconds. I doubt any code can prevent that. However, I'm not going to submit this as a resource, so I don't see why I should ask Kitabake for permission. I am going to ask him though.

Anyway, you guys take this way too serious. You're not gaining any money from it, you know? ;)

And anyway, I'm not banned from the contest, so I don't see why you're so bitter against me.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
The dummy is not losing it's locust status because otherwise you can't cast the spell on it ;).
I'm not sure what you mean, but it looks strange to have unit health bars circling the tower. ;) If you need to cast a spell on a locust unit, you can un-locust it, cast, then re-apply locust.

The tower lags because it's a lot of processing each 0.03 seconds.
Your tower doesn't lag for me, with 10 of them... :thup:

However, I'm not going to submit this as a resource, so I don't see why I should ask Kitabake for permission. I am going to ask him though.
Well, it's the right thing to do...

BTW, I don't see anyone who's bitter against you. I was trying to make useful critiques. :nuts:

Rushhour

Reaction score
Mine is nearly done, some more features need to be added :D Prepare yourself for the critter catapult!
Btw: Does anybody know if you can make a flying unit to a ground unit so that it can't 'walk' over cliffs and stuff? Removing UnitTypeFlying doesn't work.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> How much is the fps considered lag?

I don't really understand the question. I suppose lag is bad when it starts to annoy me. :p

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
I don't really understand the question. I suppose lag is bad when it starts to annoy me.
lol. :p

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
Well, this is my submission... :)

Glacial Tower

TC5GTD-1.png
TC5FOD.png

TC5-1.png

Attachments

• Tower Contest 5 - XeNiM666.w3x
    95.8 KB · Views: 257

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean, but it looks strange to have unit health bars circling the tower. ;) If you need to cast a spell on a locust unit, you can un-locust it, cast, then re-apply locust.

Your tower doesn't lag for me, with 10 of them... :thup:

Well, it's the right thing to do...

BTW, I don't see anyone who's bitter against you. I was trying to make useful critiques. :nuts:

Sorry for any offense in my previous post, I was drunk last night xD. I am temporarily removing my submission, until I get permission from Kitabatake. If he doesn't give it to me I'll just use a WC3 tower.

Thank you for the suggestion with bounty and locust re-applying. I will include them. +rep for that ;).

As for the lag issue, I am aware of it and I am pretty much sure it is taken into account when grading, there is no need for another category. Anyway, I pretty much did all I could for reducing lag. Besides, I am allowing the user to turn off or on the particles explosion, to reduce lag. I was the only thing I could do except scrapping the idea completely or using an effect model (couldn't find any to fit my needs and I can't make models).

Dirac

Reaction score
XeNiM666 my respects, your tower is pretty awesome

However you might wanna fix some stuff:

1.- Its very op.. if you make many missiles go through a single orb with certain amount of time between em, the creeps get perma knocked back, so even if 0 damage is dealt, they wont go through it ever.

2.- Increase the range of the orbs a bit, would help micro

Rushhour

Reaction score
@XeNiM666: Great tower, great idea! But increase the range (I think it's 50 now) where orbs are detected, was pretty hard to make sure it actually went the route I clicked :D And do these direction-changers have collision? Somehow the creeps had problems walking.

Weep

Reaction score
Well, this is my submission... :)
You win Best Concept So Far, in my opinion. :thup:
[edit] It would be nice to be able to stop a Glacial Tower, to change its firing timing.

Rushhour

Reaction score
Finally, here is my submission:
Check out the brutal destruction power of the critter catapult! :D

Comments welcome^^

Attachments

• Tower Contest-Rushhour.w3x
    75.4 KB · Views: 259

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Nice tower, I like the one that drags the enemy towards the catapult then throw it over lol xD and I think implementation is hard.

EDIT: Oh did I say tower? I mean, "Nice catapult"

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Here's my submission. It's not pimped out with flying special effects, but it's nice.

BTW: How come XeNiM666's Submission doesn't cost anything? Surely balancing depends on cost.

I like the tower, but it's really complicated to control at the beginning (atleast for me).

EDIT:

Fixed leaks and posted new version below.

Weep

Reaction score
Here's my submission. It's not pimped out with flying special effects, but it's nice.
On the contrary, I think your choice of FX is quite pretty. :thup:

BTW: How come XeNiM666's Submission doesn't cost anything? Surely balancing depends on cost.
Tower cost and balance depends so much on income, which is unique to every map... So is tower damage, but some themes would be obviously overpowered (eg. a tower that instantly kills everything that walks by :D). I don't imagine tower cost will be a factor in the grading of balance. (FYI, it's pretty annoying that your demo map doesn't start out with enough resources to build your tower!)

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Tower cost and balance depends so much on income, which is unique to every map... So is tower damage, but some themes would be obviously overpowered (eg. a tower that instantly kills everything that walks by :D). I don't imagine tower cost will be a factor in the grading of balance. (FYI, it's pretty annoying that your demo map doesn't start out with enough resources to build your tower!)

Oh yeah. :eek: My main reason for a high price was comparison. I compared it to the Guard Tower and raised it's price accordingly. You can just do greedisgood 9999999 and you're fine.

EDIT:

Finally, here is my submission:
Check out the brutal destruction power of the critter catapult! :D

Comments welcome^^

Doesn't work for me. I cant click Test Map, and when I try to save I get syntax error.

Rushhour

Reaction score
Doesn't work for me. I cant click Test Map, and when I try to save I get syntax error.
Do you use the NewGen editor? It contains vJass.
Edit: Checked that. You're right, only pressing test map doesnt work, you need to save it first. Strange. But for this you need JassHelper (NewGen) . Could this be the native declaration (UnitAlive) ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.