SC2 Premium Maps...

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
They already announced in a Q&A that Map Locking is being implemented, whether it's trusty or not, we'll find out.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
Greed is the most powerful force in the world. Good will is like a maimed puppy. If Blizzard decides to make Diablo 3 into a three part series that I have to pay 30 dollars for each, I just might lose it. I have already decided not to buy all three starcraft parts, and I certainly hope people will not attempt to publish every flipping map, it just isn't worth it.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
2 expansions != 3 parts.

I wonder how long that misinformation is going to be stuck in people's heads.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I thought that you just buy the game and the other parts are only campaigns.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
i think in theory this would be a great feature meant to attract modders from other games to come to starcraft since a modding community is what keeps a game alive 10 years from now, but i can almost see bnet being ruined by a million maps but more than half of them cost money and as soon as you pay for one map, a new version comes out the next day that you have to buy next. if you had to have permission form blizzard to make it a premium, that would help but allowing the user to make a 10 second map and then put it up for premium would just be a mess and surely abused.

i totally support premium maps if they are of actual mod quality like Desert Conflict or Project Reality(only examples that comes to mind atm) would be to BF2 or the many steam mods. Something that takes a lot of time and dedication that is of utmost quality.

Veno

Reaction score
Premium maps are an awesome idea. If you paid attention to the Blizzcon announcement you'd have seen that they stated that almost nothing we see in WC3 will qualify. It will take complete reworkings with original content and/or something truly unique. Even if it didn't, they are including ratings, comments, and popularity tracking so that it is very easy to identify quality maps.

This idea is not new. It is already being used with great success on the iPhone, Xbox 360 arcade, and Kongregate. Independent developers want to make games and they will, but they also need money to survive. WC3 maps did not generate that income. SC2 will provide that option. This means that the players will get some AMAZING maps that go beyond what anyone thinks is possible in a single map. The maps that players make in their free time and never finish will not be approved by Blizzard - there will be certain restrictions and requirements.

You will not be required to buy premium maps to enjoy the fruits of the map making community. There will be tons of excellent free maps. There will be tons of crappy premium maps. There will also be tons of amazing premium maps and Blizzard will help you sift through the crap and find the really excellent ones. And the community will be able to support the map makers and allow them to continue making amazing maps. This is a great system. It already works on tons of different platforms and adding it to SC2 is a great idea on Blizzard's part.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to skip this part, be my guest. It's a bit more detailed, and a bit longer.

About the payment system, what if you live outside of USA? What if you don't have a credit card for Paypal, or other subsidiaries? What if you barely legal to obtain a credit card, but according to local laws, you can still play SC2? (Hey, in Taiwan, we have 12-years-olds playing CS, does that not comply with SC2?)

Unless, Blizzard does this depending on countries, such as Korea (where they bill players by a group or other prices in web cafes), South-eastern Asian countries (where the game itself is hosted by other game sponsors), etc., there should be a law regarding this situation.

I'm sure a lot of petitions are springing up whenever Blizzard announces something that we don't expect for it to happen. I'm just saying my opinions.

I'm hoping that the Premium Maps and Free Maps don't go along with the current "No LAN" policy. Else, we're just going around in circles...:confused:

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Lol, buddy, that was quite a comment. Even if we are going in circles, there is a way to break this acursed libo.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
It says Premium maps will have matchmaking and achievements.

Well, I expect to get jumped here a bit, but I think that for me and my brothers and my friends that play games together like dota. Would have had a better time if it had a matchmaking system built in, Even if it meant for us to pay a few bucks.

That being said i would prefer that to be free, but nevertheless, it sounds just fine to me. My biggest fear is that if its even a few bucks, it will keep most of my friends from playing it or even trying it.

Personally I don't like this move of premium maps vs free maps. But there are alot of up sides. So I cant say i hate blizzard for this, but i am more mad then happy.

Commercialize everything! that must have been what they were thinking... It does Destroy the map making com minty, as a hole because before this people only moded because they enjoyed it, not because they want to make a few quick bucks. Expect to have a bunch of peopel trying to sale crap starting as soon as the Premium maps are open.

black.sheep

Reaction score
Rofl if sc2 ends up in a monoply with dota, just like in wc3, and now instead the guy making GETS MONEY from it.
Although, they might make it you get afew free maps with the purcase of the game. Sounds fair to me, because we all know in afew years the only reason your going to buy sc2 is to play the mod that everyone's talking about.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This is Capitalism, folks! Blizzard is making the move, just like Microsoft!!

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
If you win cash by maps doesn'T this mean that there will be more mappers then players ?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you win cash by maps doesn'T this mean that there will be more mappers then players ?

As usual with capitalism and anything that's related with it, only an actual select few really "make money", whereas the others merely struggle and/or completely fail, whichever is best, though there will definitely be an increase in mapmaking (attempts at).

Keep in mind that people will most probably check it twice before purchasing a map. Or should...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.