SC2 Premium Maps...

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
Say someone steals someone's 'free' map, then publishes as premium under their name. How is Blizzard going to deal with that?

Now you may say well why would anyone pay for that map if there is a free one that is exactly the same?
Those that are willing to pay for a map wouldn't pay if they saw the free version. What happens if they don't know the free version exists and only saw the premium stolen version?

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
> Say someone steals someone's 'free' map, then publishes as premium under their name. How is Blizzard going to deal with that?

I do not know it for sure, just thinking how it could be.

Who's free map was copied should send Blizzard their original map. Then they compare map creation dates from original map and stolen map. True creator must point out other 1 by 1 copied or very few altered parts of copied map.
I assume time stamps come from Blizzard server or be stored to Blizzard server at time when you press Publish button. Of course stolen map should be really profitable or other way important to Blizzard deal with it.

They could track various statistics about maps played, popular maps could be offered premium classification. Maps get linked to specific user who can add later new versions of their maps to replace old ones.
To prevent map version floods only maps which have been given positive rating over time period (30 days?) get added to premium maps.
They might have added map trial period (like with most demo software which full version costs). After free period end you have to decide would you like to pay and play it or find free analogue.
Rating map is done easy as possible, giving 0-5 star rating on score screen or buying map button appearing when trying to join game and seeing all nifty statistics/ awards got/ clans/ groups/ etc who suggest to buy that map.

To make rating maps profitable maybe they give you credit or something which you can spend on Starcraft Market.

Melee maps stay free which people can play. I am sure simple and fun free maps do not disappear.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
What if someone sends someone the premium map to someone, does it bypass buying it?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
What about Battle.net 2.0 Gifts ;D Send a gift to your friend(s) [Assuming you have any. Which you dont... :D]. Free of charge!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Can you automatically make your map as premium? Or does it have to go through approval or anything?

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
It is an option people....an option........ Christ.

How the hell can you not appreciate having the option to make 10cents off your map you spent 3 months on that millions of people could enjoy?

Did I mention its just an option????

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
This will not work.

If you create a map, people will only play it if it is free.

That means, if it becomes premium, people will either stop playing, or play the last "free" version.

chanta45

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the system works as follows... You create a map, it gains a fair amount of popularity, blizzard recognizes (And goes over the content etc, this isn't no "Say your map is premium! crap) the map and asks if you'd like to "premium" it on the premise of continued support, etc. And you get a small amount of cash.

I definately think they should hande this bit like microsoft, you should just be able to buy "points" cards and premium maps should cost just a tiny amount.

To be honest, I would pick up a 20$ card if I could get 30-40 maps off of it, why the hell not, support the mapping community.

I just ain't putting up with no credit card bullcrap.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Then it would seem like the best option would be if you had a great map, make it free and ask for "donations" instead.

That way, you gain almost complete dominance, you can get a bit of money, and you can deny Blizzard money.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm fine with paying for a good map, and getting paid for making a good map. Thank you very much. :thup:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Then it would seem like the best option would be if you had a great map, make it free and ask for "donations" instead.

That way, you gain almost complete dominance, you can get a bit of money, and you can deny Blizzard money.

Bliz would probably sue you or something. Didn't something like that happen to Defiance ORPG? (The donations part)? I just heard a rumor. I really am not 100% on this though.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
This will not work.

If you create a map, people will only play it if it is free.

That means, if it becomes premium, people will either stop playing, or play the last "free" version.

Premium maps come with achievements and matchmaking people.

It may entice some people.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Bliz would probably sue you or something. Didn't something like that happen to Defiance ORPG? (The donations part)? I just heard a rumor. I really am not 100% on this though.

Seeing as both myself and IceFrog have products for sale...I don't think so ;). The terms state that you can't profit directly from the map, which is impossible anyway given how BNET works.

Donations don't work.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
hmmmm does premium maps mean blizzard is going to include map protection too?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.