SC2 Premium Maps...

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the map would have to be the quality of a 6/5 Director's Cut on THW, and include the equivalent of a partial or total conversion filled with models and textures to warrant being paid. But, I'd like to ask, why would anyone looking to be paid for something like that use battle.net? Just make your own fucking game if you have that kind of time and energy.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
There better at least be strict restrictions/requirements for the map becoming premium. I don't want to be scrolling though 200 premium maps.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Don't want to jack your thread but at the armory:
http://www.sc2armory.com/

It says Premium maps will have matchmaking and achievements.

Oh and here's a picture from the Shack that you should post on the front page.
SC2Marketplace.png

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Surely Blizzard wouldn't allow for every person to charge for their map to be played, otherwise SC2 custom maps could very well be destroyed for all but those who have money to burn. I don't want to have to pay good money to play something that (1) I may not enjoy and (2) may be poorly made anyway.

I hope Blizzard would operate it something like the Hall of Fame or Spotlight Maps. Assuming they do go ahead with this, of course

Yoshii

Reaction score
lol what a joke paying to play a custom map, who the hell create map to make money off? get a job

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
I can see one bright side about this.

DoTA will not completely populate most customs, as not every single player will buy it. So we'll have a tad more variety!

Flatus

Reaction score
Many people are misunderstanding the whole consept and idea here, mainly because lack of info and jumping to conclusions. Well, not like I have facts listed either, but I'm trying to think this realisticly.

From what info there was given, it sounded very much like that those Premium maps, have to be really well made, and near 100% original content. So AoS and TD maps, and similiar really used consepts, are automaticly not included, they're not original. DotA isn't original, though probably best there is.

Map-makers cant just put their maps to Premium status, Blizzard itself decides that what maps go there, at least this is the general impression we're getting.

Having been part of the map making communities for years and seeing all kinds of map-makers, teams and maps, it's not hard to notice that very big part of the map-makers wont ever charge for their creations, and dont even want to.

Premium maps wont affect players in any other way than that there will most probably be way more high-quality maps.

Premium maps will be really small part of the playing community, so really. there's no need to worry about that. Instead, hope that there will be some awesome, original creations for us, players!

Think positively, be inspirated.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
You should be happy, in the image, Element TD is shown.

I still haven't received any offers from them :D. On a serious note though, that's amusing so thanks for pointing it out. Maybe I ought to shut my mouth while I'm ahead...

Wait...since when did IceFrog make Element TD :p.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
>>Yes, the charging for maps is the mappers choice.

Bam. Problem solved. For ever map that is good and premium.. someone will make a free clone of it.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
>Free Clone

:( I was hoping to make $100 each map I make, then release a free vers :D If anyone happens to buy my maps that is...

A bit of side money to give me a budget ;D

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>Bam. Problem solved. For ever map that is good and premium.. someone will make a free clone of it.

I have even assembled a team. Aren't I a prepared little bastard ? Did I mention that I will add improvments ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.