StarCraft 2 Editor - Wish List

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I haven't read through all eleven pages, but I'm quite certain that is the single most stupid post in this thread. Of all the lacks and flaws in the editor, you come up with file formats :rolleyes:

HEY! :(

Just imagine if we can use JPG or WMA.

You can now put songs for a mere 300 kb.

You can put a loading screen that just 15 kb.

Imagine, if that happened, we wouldn't have so much fat maps like DOTA which is 1.3 mb fatter cause of its high quality loading screen.

BTW, a separate editor for JASS? You kiddings right?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
A seperate, but connected Jass editor is what he meant, I believe.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
It would be nice if Blizzard fixed the Play Unit's Animation. In wc3, when a model has 3 attack animations and you order to play Attack(1.235(first attack animation)), the game will choose one of the 3 attack animations, not the one you chose. Also, it would be cool if you can choose the animations played when units attack.

nardretor

Reaction score
I hope SC2 Map Editor will be a lot more easier to learn... I hate custom scripts... It turns my head upside down...

black.sheep

Reaction score
It would be nice if Blizzard fixed the Play Unit's Animation. In wc3, when a model has 3 attack animations and you order to play Attack(1.235(first attack animation)), the game will choose one of the 3 attack animations, not the one you chose. Also, it would be cool if you can choose the animations played when units attack.

Also if you could.
Set animations for speical effects
Set speical effects sizes/height/transpency
Remove speical effects
Make speical effects move

Ashcat

Hellooo
Reaction score
It would be neat if they allowed you to change tooltips of abilities and such with triggers. That way, for an ability, instead of having "does 20% of your current health in damage" you could just have "does X damage (based on health)"

quraji

zap
Reaction score
It'd be great if they worked in some kind of "persistent gamecache"...a way to store data for a specific map on the local user's computer (and access it). I can think of a million ways this could be useful. No more save/load codes, just join the game and select your profile to load up. No more configuring the game mode for the AoS every game, just load a saved one. And so on.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I work with a program called autocad. It is used to design things, anything really, buildings, mechanical parts, you name it. It's a good friend to architects and engineers. It has a very useful feature on it, if you have an internet connection you can look at a list of approved models, figures, stamps, etc that people have made that you can use.

I think it would be excellent if the SC2 editor had something like this. You wouldn't have to have a huge file size for the editor itself, but have access to thousands of models that users have submitted to Blizzard and had been approved. It would automatically import all the needed files and put the makers name somewhere in the map description. Like an imports section or something.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
only one way to make triggers... either GUI, JASS, or something else...
but ONLY one language....

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> only one way to make triggers... either GUI, JASS, or something else...
I'm all for GUI and Jass.
Some people don't understand Jass.
And Jassers hate clicking around for hours on end, instead of just typing.

And Jass is so much more flexible than GUI.

> but ONLY one language....
There is only one language.

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I use GUI until I have to use JASS, which is actually very often. I can understand why people code in 100% vJASS, but for the vast majority of purposes, it's not really necessary, only a preference.

If SC2 makes no improvements at all except for one thing, I would definitely hope it is accurate waits. It's a bit of effort to do on Blizzard's part, but it would save COUNTLESS HOURS of work for mappers who need them. In WC3, everyone who wants to get something done precisely and accurately MUST, ABSOLUTELY, INVARIABLY, use a timer system. This must change.

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
>More tiles to tilesets.
>No blizzard cliffs.
>Import manager: Able to import icons and give them pre made auto paths:

Example:

Icon imported: Check if name has BTN, DIS or auto or what ever, if so then give the path "Repalceable Textures...".

See? :D

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
> only one way to make triggers... either GUI, JASS, or something else...
I'm all for GUI and Jass.
Some people don't understand Jass.
And Jassers hate clicking around for hours on end, instead of just typing.

And Jass is so much more flexible than GUI.

> but ONLY one language....
There is only one language.

I understand there is only jass, but they made GUI form of JASS... what i meant was only one way to type up triggers... either make them gui with no custom script function, or make them only in jass without clicking around in GUI-based dialog boxes...

one more thing I would like to add is more DETAILED info on object editor. meaning: in the unit editor, or ability editor, or whatever editor in object editor, you can probably find a row which you probably don't know what it does... for example

art - special: 1
or
damage factor 0.00

wtf is that suppose to mean...

p.s.
get rid of sammy kobold! hate that guy

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
>No blizzard cliffs.

Actually, if you look at the screenshots, they have blizzard cliffs but much nicer and they can actually be pretty big not like the wc3 ones were they make squares of cliffs bigger than each other.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> either make them gui with no custom script function, or make them only in jass without clicking around in GUI-based dialog boxes...
Why the fuck would you want that?

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
> either make them gui with no custom script function, or make them only in jass without clicking around in GUI-based dialog boxes...
Why the fuck would you want that?

Yeah, I am wondering why you would want that too.

also

I work with a program called autocad. It is used to design things, anything really, buildings, mechanical parts, you name it. It's a good friend to architects and engineers. It has a very useful feature on it, if you have an internet connection you can look at a list of approved models, figures, stamps, etc that people have made that you can use.

I think it would be excellent if the SC2 editor had something like this. You wouldn't have to have a huge file size for the editor itself, but have access to thousands of models that users have submitted to Blizzard and had been approved. It would automatically import all the needed files and put the makers name somewhere in the map description. Like an imports section or something.

Wow, great idea. I wonder who thought of that.

Zwiebelchen

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If SC2 makes no improvements at all except for one thing, I would definitely hope it is accurate waits. It's a bit of effort to do on Blizzard's part, but it would save COUNTLESS HOURS of work for mappers who need them. In WC3, everyone who wants to get something done precisely and accurately MUST, ABSOLUTELY, INVARIABLY, use a timer system. This must change.
this plus a syntax checker ... and all the stuff TomJones mentioned. And please if you upgrade the waiting functionality ... make sure waits dont interfere with each other (except being in the same instance of the trigger) ._. ... or simply let us pass arguments to timer executed functions. Much easier solution.

And please let me pass and return arrays to functions. Unit Groups suck. Why can't I use unit arrays for that without needing get and set?

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score

Your name is Little Onion? Okay...

And, yes, we definitely need a syntax checker. The one World Editor has can't even be called a syntax checker.

Edit: Hopefully SCUM Edit will be better than World Editor for the simple reason that the former isn't a 3rd party tool. Yes, World Editor was made by a third party, which explains its weird lacks in quality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.