Gaming New Nintendo Console is Wii U, Controller is a Tablet

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Reggie Fils-Aime revealed Nintendo's new console and its controller live on stage at the company's E3 press conference today. The new system is known as Wii U, and the controller features a large 6.2 inch touchscreen onto which games can be projected. You won't need to give up your gameplay when someone else comes into the room and wants to watch TV.

The new controller also features motion control in the form of an accelerometer and gyroscope, a camera, a sensor strip to work with the Wii Remote, a microphone, rumble, stereo speakers and a stylus. The "second screen" use of the controller presents the opportunity to have elements of a game projected onto the floor, such as your ball's lie in a golf game. It also, in case you were worried, features two analog sticks and traditional buttons, including analog triggers and shoulder buttons.

Existing Wii peripherals will wirelessly connect with the new controller, allowing those self-conscious about their Wii Fit results to view them in privacy.

Not only that, but the new controller can also be used as a web browser and even a magnifying device for on-screen web pages. And, as you might expect from past iterations of controllers with screens in them such as the Dreamcast VMU, it can also be used to display additional game information during play.

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Luckily the article says the unit supports older Wii Controllers.

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
Nonetheless, you get a tablet that you can draw on, and play games.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Would be interesting if the 3ds actually does have that possibility :D.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
That tablet controller is awesome! The fact that it can connect to the net makes it as handy as the Ipad for my daughters. Its worth it just for that.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
That tablet controller is awesome! The fact that it can connect to the net makes it as handy as the Ipad for my daughters. Its worth it just for that.

Hmmm. I hope the screen is durable. The Wii is mostly marketted at kids and casual gamers who seem to take less care of their equipment. If its your standard durability i see alot of broken screens in the future. Also, is anyone else as curious about the helpers private life as i am? haha, this site is off the hook.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 2 daughters and they live with me. They have an IPad and a Laptop, well 2 laptops but one got dropped :( The Wii is Internet Connected as well but they rarely use that for Internet cept for Netflix :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Wii U Wii U Wii U" sounds like a siren.

Reaction score
Again I can see the usual team of helpers saying "not my cup of tea" before actually knowing what they're talking about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.