World Whale put to death with explosives

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Australian officials used explosives to blow up a terminally ill humpback whale that became stranded on a beach near Perth two weeks ago.

After attempts to return the juvenile whale to the sea failed, the state Department of Environment and Conservation had intended to let the 31-foot creature die naturally.

The whale was stranded on a beach in Albany, about 240 miles southwest of Perth, the state capital.

Whole story here.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Whales are typically known for blowing anyways.

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
theres an extremely old video of a beached sperm whale explosion on the internet. I remember finding it back in early 2000's when I was doing a school project on the sperm whale.

Just found out that the event I'm talking about received its own wikipedia page titled: exploding whale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_whale

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Just found out that the event I'm talking about received its own wikipedia page titled: exploding whale.
I found this quote on the Wiki page (that event was the first thing that came to mind when I read the headline):
"It might be concluded that, should a whale ever be washed ashore in Lane County again, those in charge will not only remember what to do, they'll certainly remember what not to do."
Looks like Australia still need to learn that lesson :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember watching a video about a whale (?) exploding on the back of a truck, as it was being moved somewhere. There was a thread about it here, on TheHelper, though I can't find it now. :p

This is a bit of an extreme way to kill something though. o_O

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
I remember watching a video about a whale (?) exploding on the back of a truck, as it was being moved somewhere. There was a thread about it here, on TheHelper, though I can't find it now.

Well that exploding whale was already dead and the gases in it along with some othe weird factors causes it to rip open and basically erupt, different than using dynamite.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Of course; the circumstances as to why the two whales exploded are completely different. The reason I brought that up was because, well, both whales exploded. :p

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Apparently by "Natural" death they meant by This shit is gonna get blown up real good.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Obviously whales explode when they die, and this is just helping them along.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
What's next? Abrams gonna go blow up some clipped birds?

Dead Birds burst in Fireworks. Every kid know that.

About the whale... It's a terrible thing, but I couldn't help but laugh at the title >.<
Because, idk, it's ridiculous

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
www.telegraph.co.uk said:
The International Whaling Commission recommends the use of explosives to euthanize beached whales longer than 26 feet.

wtb an extra inch for the 25' 11" whale...

Old Whale Explosion
P.s. wtb some common sense for these Oregon gold rush red neck decedents.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Actually, "longer than" means > 26 ft. In essence, 26 ft. is NOT longer than 26 ft. :3

You'd have to "wtb 2 extra inches" :D

(I are haxxorz picky)

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
Actually wouldn't have to be 2, that comes down to significant digits. You could be 1.001 or what ever and still be over it. So "haxxorz picky" would be wtb an amount of inches >1. :)

HappyPeasant

Reaction score
Actually wouldn't have to be 2, that comes down to significant digits. You could be 1.001 or what ever and still be over it. So "haxxorz picky" would be wtb an amount of mass that lengthens me >1 inch. :)

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Is it only me that is reminded of a simpsons episode when I read this?:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.