US News Wikileaks: what the leaked State Department cables say

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first tranche of more than 250,000 classified cables have been released by the WikiLeaks site. The cables, more of which will be released over the coming fortnight, raise awkward questions about America’s foreign policy.

Wikileaks

Live Updates on The Guardian

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Shit just got real :O

* Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was forced to laugh off criticism of his playboy lifestyle in the diplomatic cables after Elizabeth Dibble, US charge d'affaires in Rome, described Mr Berlusconi as "feckless, vain, and ineffective as a modern European leader".
That's true though.

Slayer4000X2008

That guy from Canada
Reaction score
Obama ordered diplomats to spy on Canada (and other Nations)

The Obama administration ordered diplomats to spy on foreign governments and dignitaries – including here in Canada – as a way to provide key biographical data to the Central Intelligence Agency.

The July 2009 directive to embassies around the world, including the one in Ottawa, asked diplomats to go beyond collecting the usual information of name, title and phone number. Diplomats were also asked to pass along “Internet and intranet ‘handles,’ Internet e-mail addresses, web site identification-URLs, credit card account numbers, frequent flyer account numbers, work schedules and other relevant biographical information.”

Full Story Here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Does anybody else think this is bullshit, especially when it comes to nations allied with America.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
* Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi was forced to laugh off criticism of his playboy lifestyle in the diplomatic cables after Elizabeth Dibble, US charge d'affaires in Rome, described Mr Berlusconi as "feckless, vain, and ineffective as a modern European leader".
I was gonna say, that's pretty well known, nothing secret 'bout that :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is only the beginning. :p

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Oh man, theres some pretty deep shit in there. I can definitely see this causing problems. Doh!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Diplomats were also asked to pass along “Internet and intranet ‘handles,’ Internet e-mail addresses, web site identification-URLs, credit card account numbers, frequent flyer account numbers, work schedules and other relevant biographical information.”

holy crap, and those are "Diplomats", not spies? wtf?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I seriously disagree with what WikiLeaks is doing.

Everyone should already know (given they aren't ignorant) that governments work in a lot of shady territory. It's something that has to be done in order for them to function. There's no way they could work completely "white" and survive. Others would eat the government up. Really some of this should come as no surprise. I will back the government on their actions unless they come out to be something seriously stupid and counter-productive.

Some things are better kept secret.

I just don't like how everyone is freaking out about it. They should be less ignorant and realize the fact that governments must work like this. It's a dog-eat-dog world. Eat or be eaten. You know how it is.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@ Sevion
I agree with this.
They don't "need" to work in such secrecy, and not tell the public 90% of the things they do. They're all just evil and corrupt, as far as I'm concerned.

I do see what you mean though. :p

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
I am waiting for Ahmadinedschad's reaction to the revealed material. Will he isolate even more due to the fact that some neighbours asked the USA to attack the Iran? Oh wait, do they even have internet over there?

Vestras

Retired
Reaction score
The only thing I get really worried about is the nuclear bomb "deal" between Iran and North Korea - both of their leaders are crazy for power, so I am worried as to what they could do with those bombs. Especially when the article states they were for capitals in western europe.

GooS

Azrael
Reaction score
Whether the administrations act on these now known facts I'd say is as probable as if they would have acted on the assumptions. I don't believe governments act on fact, they act on probability.

The reason the US government bunched the panties, I think is not for the safety of specific individuals as they claim, I think it's more the implication that their competens and integrity comes into question. Their current claims only being an incentive to keep the general public on their side.

As said in earlier posts many of the things listed regarding american foreign policies are things anyone not very naive would have already assumed was happening whether or not they wanted to know if it was the truth.

I also believe that goverments need secrets to function, only in a utopia where all people are completely candid would no secrets work.

(Extremely tired when I wrote this, hope it makes sense)

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Wikileaks will probably provoke something o_O

So much sensitive information of China and US, it's sickeneing.
Also, Germany is also doing alot of bullshit, reguarding foreign policies.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Amazing. Kudos to the man, risking his life to expose stuff for no apparent reason other than to stir up the wrath of nations... :thup:
:p

muahahahah and then, when there is total chaos he steps in and becomes ruler of the world! what an evil devious asshole!

srsly though im not sure if this is good or bad.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
also noticed, there is information regarding the attempted hack vs Google + others originating from a Chinese university controlled by the (Chinese) military..

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think this is what the world needed. Great information, how can you call yourself a democracy and hide everything you do from your citizens?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Because if the citizens knew everything, nothing would get done. The citizens would protest almost every single action the government takes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.