Sports World Cup South Africa Final. Spain - Netherlands: 1 - 0

H34DhUnT3r

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
JOHANNESBURG – Spain rules the soccer world, winning the World Cup at long, long last.

It came after an exhausting 1-0 victory in extra time over the Netherlands on Sunday. Two years after winning the European title, the stylish Spaniards did even better.

This was a physical test of attrition that sometimes turned dirty — a finals-record 13 yellow cards were handed out and the Dutch finished with 10 men. In the end, it was Andres Iniesta breaking free in the penalty area, taking a pass from Cesc Fabregas and putting a right-footed shot from 8 yards just past the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg.

Just Click It

And not a word about the referee. Ofcourse I can't blame the referee, but dammit; he missed 2 red cards and gave a not justified red card to the Netherlands + he just refused to see the most important corner of the match. Too bad. He ruined the match.

Anyway, congrats to Spain.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Yeah, the ref was unfair, but I supported Spain so ha, good game.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Fan of Robben, I thought he played ok. I had a bad feeling with the start of the game. Spain is always so controlling which is really annoying if your a fan of the other team.

I was afraid that everyone on the Netherlands team would get a yellow. The kick to the chest was awful though.

Wasn't as enjoyable as many of the other games but I'm glad that both of the teams had a chance to win their first World Cup.

celerisk

When Zerg floweth, life is good
Reaction score
I think the referee did his best. And a great best at that.
There simply was way too much aggression going on.

Either way though, congrats to Spain. Nice goal too.

Ah well, for now, we remember a great final,
some epic matches, pretty much all the placements and results.

In a year from now, we'll remember Spain... and wasn't that Netherlands, and Germany in the quarters or so?

In two years from now, we'll remember Spain... who was the other one again?

In three years from now... we'll remember those damn f...cking vuvuzelas! DIE!

Clearly, long lasting memories were created over those last weeks :p

Wummi

Just Relax and Smile!
Reaction score
Yay for Spain, and the referee did a pretty good job, considering the pressure and the fast pacedness of the game.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
The ref did his best, the Dutch played a very aggressive game. I think he was trying to avoid sending anyone off, probably because a lot of the challenges - from both sides - could easily have meant the game ending with less than a full team for both sides.
gave a not justified red card to the Netherlands
That red card was very justified, he already had a yellow for an offence which should have been a straight red.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
It was a horrible game final, I was dissapointed.

i fully agree. many bad things happened. i lost all respect for Iniesta. he dived so much in that game. i used to like him but after that performance no more. its funny because in the regular season he criticized Ronaldo for diving. what a hypocrite. Also that referee was TERRIBLE. sure it happens all the time but not that bad for a world cup final. like, come on. he gave the dutch players cards for nothing, and hesitated to give spain cards. Not to mention that time Puyol should have gotten a red card when he tackled [robben i think it was] from behind near the box on a run. with puyol out neth could have easily scored. Neth deserved the win more. :thdown:

wish the headlines read this:
d8ce6e32-9ee6-4d6a-a8a7-c01f501c709f.jpg

Edit: also missed that last corner, never gave a red card for an off-the ball push...

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
In three years from now... we'll remember those damn f...cking vuvuzelas! DIE! Clearly, long lasting memories were created over those last weeks :p

Haha :D you learn to love them, except when someone blows one in your direction!

Although I was supporting netherlands, I had a strong feeling that Spain would win based on how they'd played up until the final. Besides, a psychic octopus had already given us a winner long before the game was played :p

But personally, I've never been more proud to be South African, and I really hope everyone enjoyed the tournament as much as I did :D it truly was an epic tournament with many surprises and firsts, and a distinct African flavour :p

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Netherlands didn't lose a single game from qualify till the final...

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Germany etc? They played BRAZIL. You don't seem to know much football.

Yes and Holland won that strictly because of luck... No way they are better than Brazil and they didn't even do better in that game.

Robben

Reaction score
Ill say again: you don't seem to know much football. Review the game and see how utterly wrong you are.

jhnam95

Reaction score
No fair. I didn't get to see the match. Stupid world cup final just HAD to be on a Sunday when I had church T_T...

Pretty funny though. One of my friends thought 7/11 was giving out free slurpees because it was World Cup final. Put the wrong two and two together.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
They were giving out free slur-pees on 7/11..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.