Seth Cross Writing

Rate the Sampler

• 2/5 Stars - You need a lot of work, but you're kinda on your way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Just so ya know, when you get published, ill buy your books when they get here. :) I am fairly sure that if you try you will get published.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Good Luck.

"I discovered that rejections are not altogether a bad thing. They teach a writer to rely on his own judgment and to say in his heart of hearts, "To hell with you."
~” George Bernard Shaw

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're going to publish your stories :D

I have a teacher who wrote and illustrated a small children's book (2 sentences per page :p). It was pretty good though, better than other short story children's view. Anyway, she sent to many publishers, and all of them turned her down. She then decided to publish them herself, for like $20 each book (They're about 10-15 pages), and she only makes $5 dollar profit per book. She had contacts, and she got to give it out in the Grammys Gift bags to celebrities.

Anyway, point is, if you get turned down, don't give up. Of course your books aren't children books, but they get a lot of manuscripts, and if it doesn't seem interesting, they probably won't finish reading or start.

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
You got two roads Seth,

Professional Publisher
or
Self publisher.

Professional publishing is very hard, from what I understand, you spam their offices with your content in the hope that they look at it, read it, think about it, call you, discuss it, buy it, publish it, and that you get a decent return from its royalites.

Its hard because there are about a gazillion other monkeys around who all decide that they can write the 'best'. I have seen writer get their master pieces professionally bound and boxed and shipped off, and then hear nothing for close to six months, where the news they receive is "its not you its the market, we feel that people are not ready for it yet".

Self publishing has its own drawbacks, do you print on demand, or pre order, marketing? distribution? publication? Who will sell it? retail and wholesale costs?

If I lived in your country, I'd ring you and talk to you about it.

If I had the time right now, I'd try and help.

But I don't. I support you and agree, but patience will reward you.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
If you do get it made can you give me some addresses of good publishing companies? Im tryin to publish my book too :D

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
It's a little smarter to get an agent first, or so I hear. Only small companies usually publish a writer without an agent, and that's if you're lucky. Yea, the road to publishing isn't suppose to be an easy one, but knowing how insistent Seth Cross can be I would guess you'd get your book published by next year.
Good luck, mate.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
That part is even worse.
Now there's two lines the story might take or continue with, each of which offers endless options...

Worse... Ironic sarcasm? o_O

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
For those that wouldn't get it:
"Is there a part III?" - Though that's just repeating a previous post... we're in the Writers Corner, where stuff is supposed to be creative... :p

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
There... Should be, shouldn't there? What, with how I left the second scene there...

Oh crap. I started another book, didn't I?!

... DAMMIT! -.-

:rolleyes:

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
I'm for Red Beard's advice ;).

Sorry I can't give any good advice myself, but I can give you my support and wish you the best of luck on getting your book(s) published :)!

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Good for you! Hope it sells alot, when it comes out, I'll buy one.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I was always reading your funny online comics, thought they were genius!
However, ur novels depict a darker, more sinister kind of background, and it suited the storyline perfectly.
Im sure you will do extremely well :3!
Good luck!

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
The problem with agents, publishers etc. Is that they tend to charge a hefty % commission for their trouble.

The problem is, that until you make a name for yourself, you get little to no say in their %. Once you establish your name, you can negotiate harder, but its still not a great way to make a decent profit.

Unfortunately most books/novels don't become harry potter, and as such it takes a lot of time for the money to trickle in.

Im rambling and not going into as much detail as I 'normally' do, only because of where I am right now.

My advice is simple; stick to your guns and don't jump straight into the first offer that comes your way. Your worthmore than you think.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
The problem with agents, publishers etc. Is that they tend to charge a hefty % commission for their trouble.

The problem is, that until you make a name for yourself, you get little to no say in their %. Once you establish your name, you can negotiate harder, but its still not a great way to make a decent profit.

Your first book will never get you into some real dough if that is what you aim for (also this is the first book, he can always make more money with the other books), but an agent is almost required in many cases. My good old cousin couldn't get his book published at all because he didn't have one. He gave up after looking for so long.
He also told me that it's very hard to find an agent who would help you get published. The best way to get an agent would be someone you know, which is like a 1:100 chance right there.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
@BANANAMAN

you have a book?? I have written something back in high school.. Some kind of a fantasy world.. Title??, Lynxx and the Magical Bracelets and Lynxx and the Orb of Time.. I don't if I'm gonna rewrite it cause its been a long time since I started writing stories.. ^^...

Three things inspired me to write the two books: Rave, Gensomaden Saiyuki and Chrono Trigger :p

@Seth

You inspired me man... I wish I could publish my 2 long lost books ^^

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Unfortunately most books/novels don't become harry potter, and as such it takes a lot of time for the money to trickle in.

I think the reason Harry Potter was so successful was mainly due to the great movies that were made.
Even I read the books AFTER I saw the movie.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I think the reason Harry Potter was so successful was mainly due to the great movies that were made.
Even I read the books AFTER I saw the movie.

No, the books were a big hit before the movies. When the movies came out it then grew in momentum till what we see today as "success". How you measure success, though, is in money.
Guys, art isn't about money or fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.