Demo Map The Map Framework

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Upload everything you can here.

Put a better description here too.
This has no chance of approval as it is.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
What exactly does this do? Describing the purpose of your system would help (and "The Map Framework" isn't really enlightening)

It can be found in documentation... documentation is too large (43 pages) to put in a thread.

Upload everything you can here.

Put a better description here too.
This has no chance of approval as it is.

Sure, I can attach the map files :\, but you'll still need to get documentation at some point ^_-, although it does need updating on conventions and the user area : D.

Note- Can't get the attachments on to the thread because the guide is 1 mb :\, so have to go to another thread. There is a description in the guide.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really can't be bothered to read a 43 page guide about something I don't know anything about.
A basic description wouldn't hurt.

Also, could you post some example usage code or something?
I'd like to see how this works/is used.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
The first page has an in-depth description of this.

There is another page on overview of designers that would also be an interesting read.

And you might want to check under the variables section for Player, Computer, and "All" (not all variables, just the all type) sections as that is a pretty interesting feature of Mfn.

Also check under Text Macro section.

There, I narrowed down the pages you should read from 43 to 6 or 7.

I do have to update the documentation as Mfn has changed quite a bit since that version (you'll see the version that was written for in the little box), but frankly I'm working on too many things. I've only submitted things here that either-
needed no documentation
documentation needed slight updating

The thing I'm working on has a documentation estimate of around 125 pages so far... so you can imagine how busy I am.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Please add 1.23b into your library's requirement.

Done, but this isn't a demo map... but ok...

0 Demonstrations in it
0 Uses of it inside of it
0 Descriptions or comments within it (well, a few comments, but none that really describe anything)

=), but you're the moderator, so do what's required I guess : D.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Done, but this isn't a demo map... but ok...

0 Demonstrations in it
0 Uses of it inside of it
0 Descriptions or comments within it (well, a few comments, but none that really describe anything)

=), but you're the moderator, so do what's required I guess : D.
You have no demonstrations, uses or descriptions/comments of your system in the demo map, or the thread? ._.

You can't seriously expect people to even think about using a system if all they have to go on is a 43-page (how can you get 43 pages on this...) documentation? Who is honestly going to read through all that...

And kingkingyyk3 isn't a moderator >.>

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
You have no demonstrations, uses or descriptions/comments of your system in the demo map, or the thread? ._.

You can't seriously expect people to even think about using a system if all they have to go on is a 43-page (how can you get 43 pages on this...) documentation? Who is honestly going to read through all that...

i tried the guide (its an .exe-file) and must say its easy to overlook and well structured.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at the code in the example map.
It's ~200 lines long.

How on earth did you manage to make a 43 page documentation on a 200 line code?!

Not to mention that the code is... Well... Horrible.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score

Was directed to mr. moderator who changed the thread's title : p.

I looked at the code in the example map.
It's ~200 lines long.

How on earth did you manage to make a 43 page documentation on a 200 line code?!

Not to mention that the code is... Well... Horrible.
it's not an example map. It's a base framework, so it runs the basics of a map. Because it is a base framework, it has a lot of conventions for building for it and properly using it. That is why I call it The Map Framework : ).

The documentation isn't on just the 200 lines of code... it's on all the conventions, the templates, properly creating libraries, utilities, systems, and frameworks, properly installing them, etc, etc, etc... there's a lot to go over =). The code is some tracking stuff (easier to access players and what not because I found I did that in all maps I did ><), looping stuff (I found in large loops I needed to write that stuff out over and over again), credit stuff (Mfn lets designers easily add their credits into a map), etc. Most of it is convention tho : ).

i tried the guide (its an .exe-file) and must say its easy to overlook and well structured.
I worked many hours on that documentation : )

This isn't a demo map. The moderator who changed it probably thought it was, but it isn't.

There are various categories... read only what pertains to you
There is a description page if you are considering it
Guide to Mfn for Map Makers
Guide to Mfn for Designers
etc

The documentation does need updating (a few pages, troll probably saw if he read some of them, like the user area o-o, stuff needs to get deleted there, and system installation, lol).

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
JASS:
public function exitWarcraft takes nothing returns nothing
        loop
            call ExecuteFunc(&quot;ExitWarcraft&quot;)
        endloop
    endfunction

public function freezeWarcraft takes nothing returns nothing
        loop
            call TriggerSyncReady()
            call ExecuteFunc(&quot;FreezeWarcraft&quot;)
        endloop
    endfunction

public constant function STOP_THREAD takes nothing returns integer
        return 1/0
    endfunction

public function criticalError takes nothing returns nothing
        call ExecuteFunc(&quot;0&quot;)
    endfunction

public function desyncPlayer takes player p returns nothing
        if GetLocalPlayer()==p then
            call CreateUnit(p, &#039;hpea&#039;, 0, 0, 0)
        endif
    endfunction

...Why? These functions are bad, don't put them in a library that some people might actually use...

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
...Why? These functions are bad, don't put them in a library that some people might actually use...

There have been maps that do things like these, for example Don't Touch the Tauren. Yes, people actually played them, and yes, it did critical error you if you touched it.

While you may find them bad, other people may think Wow, I've been wanting to make a map that used that.

Mfn's goal is to make things easier to do, and if a map maker wants to crash the game, then let them do it. Their map may not be popular, but that is not for Mfn to decide. If you do not want to use them, that's fine. I know that I'll probably never use them myself unless I'm playing a practical joke on a friend.

However
JASS:
    public constant function STOP_THREAD takes nothing returns integer
        return 1/0
    endfunction

This is not a bad function at all -.-. It's very useful.

Oh yes, and I apparently got to delete a lot from the documentation, change a few things, and add one thing : D.

Length is now 32 pages all ^_^

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I probably don't understand any of this even if I do read the documentation. Anyway, does anyone know what this actually does, yet?
Examples, etc.
(It does have a cool name. I'm asking out of curiosity.) :)

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
It's apparent almost nobody is going to read documentation.. so let me copy and paste page 1. I'm not doing the styling of it, just cnp.

Look at post 1 in a sec if it's no up.

You might want to read the documentation on an overview of what libraries, utilities, systems, and frameworks are to get a better understanding of Mfn.

Also, looking at the basic layout of the documentation will give you a broader understanding.

Code is not meant to be read at all, so don't bother. When a moderator was reviewing this, they could not do it via the code. They had to read the documentation =). After the documentation, they then looked at the code to see how good the coding was (since they knew what it did).

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I review the code.
A documentation is there so that I can read 3 sentences, and know what the code should do.

The code is quite rubbish by the way. Half the stuff is crap/useless functions such as criticalError. Adding a trillion crap functions with the excuse "but some crap maps use them" isn't really acceptable. The naming convention is strange too.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
I review the code.
A documentation is there so that I can read 3 sentences, and know what the code should do.

The code is quite rubbish by the way. Half the stuff is crap/useless functions such as criticalError. Adding a trillion crap functions with the excuse "but some crap maps use them" isn't really acceptable. The naming convention is strange too.

It is what it is: a framework for general map making

But you did give me an idea ; ). I'm taking out all the error functions and putting them into a library called Eln because they shouldn't be in there. They don't have to do with general coding : p, only specific situations.

Also, Image should be taken out, camera bounds should be taken out, and clear text for player should be taken out.

STOP_THREAD is not an error function.

End game and End Game true are being taken out too as a map may not use a timer or something else to end the game : ).

I think that covers it =), so I'll be updating it to v.01t (taking out the functions that should not be in there).

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
23 pages.. and I still find it useful for providing basic features to all systems that go into a map, so I will still be designing for it whether it gets graveyarded or not.

We also had a what, 2 hour chat, where I talked about everything because you refused to read the documentation which would have taken you 5-10 minutes rather than 2 hours of listening to me.

In all of that, you took things out of context, constantly twisted my words, etc, all to suit your own benefit.

Also, I said that some map makers are already migrating to Mfn (not many because hardly anything is designed for it atm).

No designers are moving to Mfn at the moment because of all the strict conventions, but hopefully that will change some day :\.

It is exactly what the title refers to, a general purpose map framework. The very basic features in it are features I deemed should be available in all maps for designers to use without having designers have to write them out every single time and have the same function in every design.

Now, I do know that you hate the idea of designers getting automatic credit in a map, but I believe that everyone who contributed to a map deserves credit, no matter how small it is. Most map makers don't do it because they are too lazy to do it, so this does it for them.

A lot of maps that do give credits generally give them in the credits area in one tab. As this can't really do it, it uses up one side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.