World Pigeon faster than broadband

H34DhUnT3r

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Broadband promised to unite the world with super-fast data delivery - but in South Africa it seems the web is still no faster than a humble pigeon.

A Durban IT company pitted an 11-month-old bird armed with a 4GB memory stick against the ADSL service from the country's biggest web firm, Telkom.

Winston the pigeon took two hours to carry the data 60 miles - in the same time the ADSL had sent 4% of the data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
I could take a 1TB hard drive on my bike to the school faster than it would take to upload it all. This isn't really News of any sort. If the pigeon was carrying a 128mb flash drive, it would be done before the pigeon got there.

I'll admit that 163.84mb (0.04 * 4096mb) isn't very fast for 2 hours, but this is a really, REALLY unrealistic and useless comparison.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a carrier pigeon full of memory sticks.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a carrier pigeon full of memory sticks.
But the more memory sticks you put on the pigeon the slower it will get, think logicly ;)

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
>Time for an upgrade

Haha. Take a plane and stick a few servers onto it filled with data, send it to wherever, badaboom! You just sent XXX TB of data in YYY hours!! :D

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Please, us people in Florida have been using Seagulls technology to send files internationally for years. Especially for transatlantic transfers.

I mean it is more secure, there is only way you can hack these file carrying birds. Shoot them out of the sky and take their files. I mean really, its much more safer speaking most people can't aim for crap.

P.S. - This is also how the idea of Twitter came along.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
>Twitter

Do pidgeons also inspire Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook's probable combining? Into, You Twit Face?

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
how does a 5 ounce bird carry 1 pound of flash drives?

FPN-stork.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.