DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
WARNING SPOILER
I really really liked how they killed off the big tree. It left the viewer hanging. My personal thoughts were, "How is Jake gonna be able to continue to help the people?" It greatly contributed to the rising action.

Spoiler alert.

I thought the same when that happened. I'd assume they will follow it up with another movie? I'd like to know what happens after they win the battle but loose their home...

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Spoiler alert.

I thought the same when that happened. I'd assume they will follow it up with another movie? I'd like to know what happens after they win the battle but loose their home...

Warning spoiler

I dunno go live in another tree :p. Maybe live with a neighbouring tribe?

I really hope that they don't create a sequel to this unless it is better than this one because I feel that if the sequel wasn't as good as the current one it would sorta lower the quality (for lack of a better word) of this one.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Eh, I don't think a sequel will do this one too well. It already caused controversy with haters how ridiculous it was, and this film style was a one-time shot. James Cameron did well since he came in with amazing style was the first one, but the people after who try to follow him won't gain that credit. Can't always just continue a style, but who knows. Anyways, just saw it.

The "Evolved Panda" Commandant rates Avatar: [9.5/10]

I saw it normally without the 3D or IMAX 3D unfortunately, but it was still a great experience. Mostly everything about it was at the least beyond the ordinary.
First off, the visuals were amazing, just like people say. The CGI was real, and the planet itself looked so lively with its colors and animals and scenery, and was developed nicely. I think the ideas behind all their plants and trees and how they reacted was pretty cool. I mean it's not the first time great effects have been done (like 2012 was awesome as well) but this was a large scale planet, bigger than 2012 I think.
The acting and character development was great, and Sam Worthington did a good job. The Parker operation leader did a nice job too I think, as a business man. All the others acted well and supported it with their sides of the story. The characters were showed in more depth than a lot of movies combined these days, and a lot of the time from the movie was devoted to just seeing the characters and their emotions, mostly with Jake Sully though. Their logging was a good thing to show.
And with the story, it's not too original for us, but this movie started 10 years ago, so things have changed. At near 3 hours, it was well paid for, and there was a balanced amount of action, romance, thinking, and more around.
The camera views were fun, and reminded me of Star Trek, similar movement. The movie might cause controversy over the different sides of the people in the film and how it ends, but it's an overall great movie that will be remembered foreva and eva.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
We should take a moment to guess how many Oscar's this baby gets.

I bet $10 on 12

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
I can't believe anyone could NOT like this movie. It was really amazing, very epic feel. I thoroughly enjoyed just about everything. The beginning dragged a touch, but that gave you time to focus on the beautiful backgrounds more.

100% agreed friend. I saw it last night, my only complaint is that the 3D get's very annoying to your eyes very quickly. Otherwise, I give it a 10/10.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
someone actually didnt like avatar. surprised me "You've never seen a bad movie with good reviews? How about Avatar? I was lucky enough to be able to watch that piece of crap in 3 dimensions "

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
7.5/10 at best.. did not really like it, story was disappointing.

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
I didn't see it in 3D, but it was visually impressive nonetheless. The only thing I could compare the quality to would be Blizzard's CGI, only they made a 3 hour movie, not a 1 minute trailer.

The storyline at its core was quite simple and has been done before, but it was presented in such a way that it didn't feel old. The acting was good and I can't wait to see the main actor again in Clash of the Titans.

Avatar was definitely a good movie, and I'll expect it to win just about every visual-related Oscar there is.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It was amazing. I think a lot of people forget that most of the movie was CGI so they aren't so impressed with it. But the blue people's facial expressions, movements and everything were just so flawless that they could be passed off as real. The environments were also insanely realistic and did not one have thing to throw them off.

The 3D added so much to the movie, I don't think I would have enjoyed it nearly as much without it, but still would have someone enjoyed it, just not for the entire 2 hours and 40 minutes.

As for a sequel, I highly doubt that. The movie dragged on at the end just so it could be killed off and nothing would be left hanging, so I really doubt that.

Can't wait till these kinda graphics can be in video games and not just pre-rendered scenes. :)

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
It was amazing. I think a lot of people forget that most of the movie was CGI so they aren't so impressed with it. But the blue people's facial expressions, movements and everything were just so flawless that they could be passed off as real. The environments were also insanely realistic and did not one have thing to throw them off.

just a fact if you didnt know, the actors played every part in the movie, even as the Na've however you spell it :), except they had all those special effect suits on and stuff..

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
avatar is getting close to beating out dark knight, its only been (a week?) and its at $726,612,776

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
just a fact if you didnt know, the actors played every part in the movie, even as the Na've however you spell it :), except they had all those special effect suits on and stuff..
This is called motion capture. However, if you are either convinced that improved input quality and output quantity changes the fundamental nature of a technology or you just want to speak elitistly, you may call the motion capture used in Avatar 'performance capture'.

I think a lot of people forget that most of the movie was CGI so they aren't so impressed with it. But the blue people's facial expressions, movements and everything were just so flawless that they could be passed off as real.
Well, they shouldn't be impressed with CGI for the sake of it being CGI. It's not about what technology was used, it's about what that technology puts into the movie. Higher tech by itself doesn't necessarily make a cinematic experience better so much as how the artists use it.

Now, onto my opinion of stuffs...

The IMAX 3d effect did not particularily blow me away. As far as I'm concerned it remains a gimmick. The technology has not yet advanced to the point of being wholley convincing, and has several flaws. For one, it makes even reasonably good cinematography look sloppy. Why? Because the human brain causes extra attention to objects it perceives in any way as being close to the face. This means that any bits of brush on the side of the screen, random peoples's legs close to the camera at the side of the shot, or any bright floaty things in the middle of the view on an extreme high angle shot, with particular emphasis on that last one in terms of what this means for Avatar, can yank you out of the film. The other reason the 3d is an eyesore is because it is, quite literally, an eyesore. The arbitrary focus more than anything demonstrates the fact that the 3d effect is total bullcrap, which not only yanks you out of the film every time you notice it, but also causes your eyes persistantly try to focus on certain things that it thinks it can but actually can't.

I understand that at this point my post may seem to have a negative outlook on Avatar. However, this is more because, due to the large quantity of positive review thrown at it so far in this thread, I felt it might be more useful to discuss negatives. What has been stated hardly represents my overall opinion of the movie. I consider Avatar to be a well-built and solid cinematic experience despite it's flaws; were I to rate it on a point system I would give it somewhere from a 9 to a 9.5 out of 10.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Gave me an eyesore and story was stupid and unoriginal, 2/5 for me. I hate movies that are hyped for 3D experience and yet they suck with or without it.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went to see this today in 3D. It wasn't anything like IMAX though, the '3D' just gave the film slightly more depth, which I quite liked.

The movie is extremely well made. I'm certainly not surprised that it is (apparently) the most expensive movie ever made.
The story wasn't too bad, though I've seen better.

When Jake 'betrayed' her, the blue monkey went ape.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.